Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,889 times

Advertisements

Eastlake is definately not the "ghetto" and don't see it becoming "ghetto" anytime soon. There are $4 million homes in the Woods. The Otay Ranch mall nearby and the Riverwalk are very upscale. Many San Diegans are not familiar w/Eastlake and just lump it in w/the rest of Chula Vista. Eastlake could easily be it's own village/city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcda View Post
Eastlake is definately not the "ghetto" and don't see it becoming "ghetto" anytime soon. There are $4 million homes in the Woods. The Otay Ranch mall nearby and the Riverwalk are very upscale. Many San Diegans are not familiar w/Eastlake and just lump it in w/the rest of Chula Vista. Eastlake could easily be it's own village/city.
I think E.L. will indeed secede from C.V. one day--I'm guessing with a new name for the area--"Rancho" something or other.

It does get lumped in with the rest of C.V., but even western C.V. has many good qualities - The marina and park (many don't know C.V. has a marina or even that it is on the water) with two great restaurants, the planned large new office complex at 3rd and H, beautiful homes in the Hilltop-F area, MAYBE THE CHARGERS, etc. As you say, many San Diegans are just not familiar with the area.

Last edited by jkoz; 02-27-2008 at 12:05 AM..

Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 AM

8 posts, read 81,238 times
I'm quite familiar with Eastlake and whatnot, but let's face it - it's not surrounded by the same quality areas that Rancho Penasquitos is surrounded by.

PQ is surrounded by Rancho Bernardo, Torrey Highlands, Scripps Ranch, Poway, and Carmel Mountain Ranch. Each of these areas is a well-off, upper middle class suburb.

Eastlake on the other hand is surrounded by Rancho San Diego, Bonita, Sunnyside, and Chula Vista (which are mostly middle class areas). It's not terribly far from Paradise Hills, Spring Valley, and National City and I'm sure that being so close (5-7 miles) to those low income areas will have its effect on the city.

The foreclosure situation is scary, yes, and who knows what it means for Eastlake's future? Only time will tell.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhcandle View Post
I'm quite familiar with Eastlake and whatnot, but let's face it - it's not surrounded by the same quality areas that Rancho Penasquitos is surrounded by.

PQ is surrounded by Rancho Bernardo, Torrey Highlands, Scripps Ranch, Poway, and Carmel Mountain Ranch. Each of these areas is a well-off, upper middle class suburb.

Eastlake on the other hand is surrounded by Rancho San Diego, Bonita, Sunnyside, and Chula Vista (which are mostly middle class areas). It's not terribly far from Paradise Hills, Spring Valley, and National City and I'm sure that being so close (5-7 miles) to those low income areas will have its effect on the city.

The foreclosure situation is scary, yes, and who knows what it means for Eastlake's future? Only time will tell.
E.L. has been close to Paradise Hills, Spring Valley, and National City now for 25 years--hasn't been affected by it yet!

The part of Rancho S.D. closest to Eastlake (the other side of Mt. Miguel) has many multimillion dollar homes. Bonita still has affluence, although it is aging.

Chula Vista is still ranked as one of the most progressive, fastest growing cities in the U.S.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhcandle View Post

Beverly Hills is not really that far from some of the worst areas of LA, and the Upper East Side NYC is not even a mile from some of the worst projects in NYC. I don't think proximity is necessarily an issue.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 PM

936 posts, read 3,191,010 times
in my opinion, eastlake is a funner area then penasquitos, scripps ranch, poway, san marcos, etc. maybe it's just me, but eastlake is the MOST walkable suburb of any of these communities AND with lots to see and do and shop at! it's like an upper middle class mountain shopping community! i cant wait for the economy and housing market to pick back up. the vibe of this area, aside from its high tween/teen/toddler population, has a fun vibe, which is best experienced during good economic times!

Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
in my opinion, eastlake is a funner area then penasquitos, scripps ranch, poway, san marcos, etc. maybe it's just me, but eastlake is the MOST walkable suburb of any of these communities AND with lots to see and do and shop at! it's like an upper middle class mountain shopping community! i cant wait for the economy and housing market to pick back up. the vibe of this area, aside from its high tween/teen/toddler population, has a fun vibe, which is best experienced during good economic times!
I agree--I never leave the area for shopping anymore, and with all of the new parks, walking trails, picnic grounds on the far east end near Otay Lakes and of course the marina on the west side, you really don't need to go far on weekends for something to do either. Maybe it is a good thing that so many don't see the charm of the area.

Beverly Hills is not really that far from some of the worst areas of LA, and the Upper East Side NYC is not even a mile from some of the worst projects in NYC. I don't think proximity is necessarily an issue. [/quote]

Very good point.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM

349 posts, read 1,544,889 times
I agree. I've looked at Poway/Rancho Pen/Rancho Bernardo/Carmel Mtn Ranch many times over the years and have always preferred Eastlake. Even more so now with all the fabulous shopping and restaurants. We love all the walking trails and walkable retail areas and parks. There are several brand new rec centers and little league fields. Newer and nicer restaurants and shopping. It doesn't get as hot as those areas and we are much closer to downtown San Diego, the Gaslamp, the zoo, Sea World, Balboa Park museums and everything else San Diego has to offer.

Regarding the topic of this thread. Even back in the early 90's we thought it was common knowledge not to buy in Paradise Valley/Paradise Hills because they were considered "iffy" areas.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:10 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Yeah,they(news) always lumps Eastlake as it's own city.It's not.Part of Chula Vista still.I lived on the Westside for 18 years(Brodway@Moss&4th@"L") and I liked it.It's a little rough but after visiting Cleveland,and Clairton,PA that's nothing.That's one thing I HATE about San Diego.One wrong thing for a city or area and it is labeled as "Ghetto" or rough.Plus SD county is big.3 Million people strong.Everything is not perfect so don't expect it to be.Finally the main reason why Paradise Hills fell off is maybe its proximity to ESD?Just like here in Chula Vista,the NW is pretty rough maybe because of National City is just a few blocks away.That might go for anywhere in the world.The closer you get to a rougher area things just fall off.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:00 PM

I just laugh when E.L. is called "ghetto" because I think of the Elvis song "In the Ghetto". . . hardly a description of Eastlake.

Before moving to Eastlake back in 1993, looked at a house in Paradise Hills--it was more house for the money at the time but the area looked questionable to me--way back then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego