Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:01 PM

51 posts, read 80,557 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple with a 15 month old son, and baby #2 is due in July. We currently have a nice 2 bedroom condo in Bird Rock (we rent), but it is starting to feel so small, and I can't imagine staying here with two kids. The main thing is we would love to have a house with a yard and at least three bed rooms , and we just can't afford that in the area that we live in now, unfortunately. Our lease ends in may so we are thinking about our next move.

Can anyone shed some insight on Carlsbad ? The draw back for me is how far out of San Diego it is, but I tend to be the type that sticks around my neighborhood anyway. Not a big driver - that was part of the appeal of bird rock where I can walk everywhere with the baby . Carlsbad seems to have what we are looking for in our price range (currently pay 3200). Another option is Point Loma but my husband is very concerned about plane noise. We would prefer not to go too far inland but would also consider bay park. It's important that it's a safe neighborhood, with restaurants and things to do, and preferably other young families around. We have lived in north Pb /la Jolla for the past 5 years so I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of finding a new area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,776,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtotom View Post
We are a young couple with a 15 month old son, and baby #2 is due in July. We currently have a nice 2 bedroom condo in Bird Rock (we rent), but it is starting to feel so small, and I can't imagine staying here with two kids. The main thing is we would love to have a house with a yard and at least three bed rooms , and we just can't afford that in the area that we live in now, unfortunately. Our lease ends in may so we are thinking about our next move.

Can anyone shed some insight on Carlsbad ? The draw back for me is how far out of San Diego it is, but I tend to be the type that sticks around my neighborhood anyway. Not a big driver - that was part of the appeal of bird rock where I can walk everywhere with the baby . Carlsbad seems to have what we are looking for in our price range (currently pay 3200). Another option is Point Loma but my husband is very concerned about plane noise. We would prefer not to go too far inland but would also consider bay park. It's important that it's a safe neighborhood, with restaurants and things to do, and preferably other young families around. We have lived in north Pb /la Jolla for the past 5 years so I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of finding a new area!
I'd say Carlsbad is a perfect fit for you. Lots of young families like yours and all of the conveniences are there. Good schools, beaches, safe, etc. Your only challenge will be to find out which area of Carlsbad is best for you...Aviara, Bressi Ranch, Calavera Hills, among others.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:58 PM

Thanks ! I really don't have any clue about the different neighborhoods. I'll look into it

Old 01-06-2017, 07:16 AM

771 posts, read 841,082 times
Carlsbad is very nice. Lots of parents out with kids, safe, good schools. You'll also notice it's cleaner and less gritty than the N PB area. As sdurbanite said, there are generally four main areas of Carlsbad, each with a different vibe. The NW "village" area is the only one that is anywhere near as walkable as NPB/Birdrock, but it probably also has the oldest homes of the four areas (if that matters).

You didn't mention working situations but that would be the other thing to consider. Even on very light traffic days, it feels like quite a drive from Carlsbad to say downtown. Add in traffic/accidents and it becomes pretty tedious, IMO.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
Carlsbad is very nice. Lots of parents out with kids, safe, good schools. You'll also notice it's cleaner and less gritty than the N PB area. As sdurbanite said, there are generally four main areas of Carlsbad, each with a different vibe. The NW "village" area is the only one that is anywhere near as walkable as NPB/Birdrock, but it probably also has the oldest homes of the four areas (if that matters).

You didn't mention working situations but that would be the other thing to consider. Even on very light traffic days, it feels like quite a drive from Carlsbad to say downtown. Add in traffic/accidents and it becomes pretty tedious, IMO.

Thanks ! I think we are willing to trade in some walkability for a bigger house/yard. I just need to be somewhere with things to do close by , not just strip malls if that makes sense. As of now I am a stay at home mom
And my husband works from home, but that's definitely something we are thinking about because the work from home may not be permanent. I think how far out Carlsbad is is the main thing we are questioning.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:06 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,871,810 times
Quote:
Thanks ! I think we are willing to trade in some walkability for a bigger house/yard. I just need to be somewhere with things to do close by , not just strip malls if that makes sense. As of now I am a stay at home mom
And my husband works from home, but that's definitely something we are thinking about because the work from home may not be permanent. I think how far out Carlsbad is is the main thing we are questioning.
The southern portions of Encinitas have all that Carlsbad has, is the same price range and are 10-15 minutes closer to downtown SD. Maybe I missed it, but why the focus on Carlsbad?

Old 01-06-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
The southern portions of Encinitas have all that Carlsbad has, is the same price range and are 10-15 minutes closer to downtown SD. Maybe I missed it, but why the focus on Carlsbad?
Hm I guess I thought Encinitas pricing was more on the La Jolla level. We would definitely love to live in Encinitas

Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM

771 posts, read 841,082 times
Quote:
Hm I guess I thought Encinitas pricing was more on the La Jolla level. We would definitely love to live in Encinitas
My experience mirrors yours Momtotom -- if you compare apples to apples, Encinitas is noticeably more expensive than Carlsbad. I suppose some of that comparison is subjective, but at least a couple RE agents very knowledgeable in both areas have confirmed my opinion as well. If prices were equivalent, I would definitely pick Encinitas over Carlsbad.

On the commute front -- that's a tough one to weigh since you've got to calculate for the possibility of your husband having to commute. My general advice on that front is don't underestimate the hard and soft costs of a commute. If he is no longer able to work from home, would he still have the same job and just have to go into the office? If so, where is the office? And is there some type of deadline or timeframe on losing WFH, or is it just something hanging generally out there?

Old 01-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. La Jolla is in a world of its own, well maybe with Del Mar and Rancho Santa Fe and a few others tony towns in there too. But Encinitas has a lot more in common with Carlsbad than it does with La Jolla, both in real estate prices and vibe. At your stated rental price point, I wouldn't rule it out. Take a look, you never know!

Old 01-06-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
My experience mirrors yours Momtotom -- if you compare apples to apples, Encinitas is noticeably more expensive than Carlsbad. I suppose some of that comparison is subjective, but at least a couple RE agents very knowledgeable in both areas have confirmed my opinion as well. If prices were equivalent, I would definitely pick Encinitas over Carlsbad.
I could be wrong, it's been a while since I rented, but at $3,200, I wouldn't rule out a small coastal place or a larger home inland (Village Park). Parts of Aviara in Carlsbad are pretty pricey and newer housing stock than you find in most of Encinitas that was built out by the 1970s and 80s. Like I said to Momtomom, it's not out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego