Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,102 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to San Diego around July of this year and I needed some help with finding a good neighborhood to live in. It will be me, my husband, and our two-year-old daughter. My husband is in the military and will be stationed out of the SD Naval Base. We'd like to find a good neighborhood that isn't too far from the base. I'm not too familiar with San Diego's neighborhoods and we won't have too much time to look for a place when we get there. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me about where we should stay or stay away from. We are planning to rent for the first year that we're there and can afford about $1500 a month for rent. If anyone has any suggestions, please reply. We would really appreciate it.

*I've found some apartments/townhomes in the Imperial Beach area, does anyone know if that is a pretty good place to live in?

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 10:54 AM

181 posts, read 890,509 times
Some people may say that imperial beach is not that kid friendly, but I have also heard that in recent years IB has had a lot of improvements....so it might be alright. You may also want to check out san carlos, allied gardens and around those areas also...the commute to downtown (is that where the base is??) is not too bad, and I know that in past years anyway, the murphy canyon housing complex in that area was all military, so there are a lot of other military families in that area. (at least there used to be.) Good luck.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:49 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,559,831 times
Ohhh no.Not IB.I'm pro SBay but no, not an IB fan at all.If you want to live down here try Chula Vista.If it is at 32nd Street you can live in the East County and have about a 30 min commute if you take the 94 into downtown or the 15 south.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:35 PM

64 posts, read 265,161 times
I used to be stationed at the Naval Station, and lived in Paradise Hills, but that area isn't so great these days. I would recommend looking for a place in Eastlake. I think it would offer the best combination of commute and decent neighborhood. I think anything east of 805 and south of 54 would be good...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 5,102 times
Thanks for the responses.

I just found out where exactly my husband's base is. It's not in the Naval Station at all. It's actually closer to the airport. Is the area around the airport pretty decent. I've found a few apartment complexes around there but still not sure of how good or bad the neighborhood is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego