Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 05:47 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcpa View Post
Took the wife there yesterday and she didn't like the vibe as much as coronado. It's nice, but you have that major road and train going through the town...my wife liked the fact that coronado has a more neighborhoody/small town feel...
I get that. However, that "feel" is obliterated for 3 months of the year...and on weekends. Renting during that time imho takes away from the reason you 1st bought there =(. In addition, despite a good property management company (which you must have) renters are people and their habits and behaviors land into your life. I had successful renters for my home in Anchorage and then ka boom. It just happens and you are left with the issues.

Since you like the city and it's options consider Bankers Hill, lovely modern and post modern homes close to little Italy and the theatre, near the city compete with neighborhood warm feel (at least to me). Honestly the traffic, bridge and intrusion of tourists are the only reason I can think of not to get settled in Coronado. Perhaps look for a street with built in barriers to the screaming meemies.

I found that when I came here from Alaska I just had to curtail my activities during the summer or arrive uber early on the weekends. We settled in Poway/Sabre Springs as I really dislike lines and won't tolerate all the clutter but still cannot do the things I wish to do on weekends.

Ergo, after battling it and for other reasons, we are relocating to the islands near Seattle shortly. Quiet and homey yet by Ferry (nice) close to a lovely city with vibes, art and COFFEE.!

PS. I would look for a no outlet neighborhood if you elect to move there.

Congrats on becoming parents!!

Last edited by AADAD; 01-23-2017 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 AM

771 posts, read 835,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcpa View Post
Took the wife there yesterday and she didn't like the vibe as much as coronado. It's nice, but you have that major road and train going through the town...my wife liked the fact that coronado has a more neighborhoody/small town feel...
This is what I was referencing as a negative about Carlsbad as well. I think Coronado is the best option in that regard. The only other place that might give you that is the Bird Rock (south La Jolla) area. On the west side of LJ Blvd around Chelsea St and Ave and then on the east side of LJ Blvd near Bird Rock Elementary. You're probably starting at $3mm for a single family on the west side of LJ Blvd and $1-1.5mm on the east side of it, so it's probably comparable to Coronado (unless in Coronado you're looking at the $10mm+ stuff that's very close to the beach).

Thanks for the wishes. This will be a second home for now so we're in no hurry. Good luck to you as well and congrats on expecting!

Old 01-23-2017, 08:14 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Looking though previous threads, how long you plan on living in San Diego?
If you going to move in 2 or 3 years it may not be worth it to buy now.

Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 69,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I get that. However, that "feel" is obliterated for 3 months of the year...and on weekends. Renting during that time imho takes away from the reason you 1st bought there =(. In addition, despite a good property management company (which you must have) renters are people and their habits and behaviors land into your life. I had successful renters for my home in Anchorage and then ka boom. It just happens and you are left with the issues.

Since you like the city and it's options consider Bankers Hill, lovely modern and post modern homes close to little Italy and the theatre, near the city compete with neighborhood warm feel (at least to me). Honestly the traffic, bridge and intrusion of tourists are the only reason I can think of not to get settled in Coronado. Perhaps look for a street with built in barriers to the screaming meemies.

I found that when I came here from Alaska I just had to curtail my activities during the summer or arrive uber early on the weekends. We settled in Poway/Sabre Springs as I really dislike lines and won't tolerate all the clutter but still cannot do the things I wish to do on weekends.

Ergo, after battling it and for other reasons, we are relocating to the islands near Seattle shortly. Quiet and homey yet by Ferry (nice) close to a lovely city with vibes, art and COFFEE.!

PS. I would look for a no outlet neighborhood if you elect to move there.

Congrats on becoming parents!!
Thanks, this is a very helpful perspective. Definitely some food for thought. May delay buying a home and come back this summer for a few weeks to see how we feel about it, and if we could do it long term.

Yes, very excited about becoming a Dad! Thank you!

Old 01-23-2017, 11:18 AM

84 posts, read 88,236 times
I think if you can live on Coronado, do it! Friends of mine have lived there all their lives and love it's proximity to everything. They do not like summers but do rent it out every other year or so. The rent that they receive over those two-three months usually covers the greater percentage of their mortgage for the entire year (and they usually stay with family that is close by so they can pop in every now and then).

If they are in town for the Summer, they just know to be patient and pad a little more time into their schedules to allow for delays due to traffic, etc. They really feel that the good outweighs the bad...So many exciting things going on for you! Congrats and Good luck!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:33 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Here are some positives:
Schools are excellent and you will always have resale value because of it.
Safe
Community activities are excellent ( for instance: Concerts in the Park, 4th of July celebration (best in SD).
Lots of community pride
Excellent Parks
Great beaches

Negatives:
-Easier to get around on a golf cart or bike. If you aren't used to this- its an adjustment. Parking can be tough.
-There are shops and good restaurants but if you are looking for greater options you have to cross the bridge (for instance Gas: you will spend $$$ filling a car up. You don't buy gas in Coronado, you may not even grocery shop in Coronado.
-Can be too touristy
-Can be too small (easier adjustment for folks coming from smaller towns).

As one poster mentioned...tourists and traffic can be crippling. Some streets have very cars others littered with cars at all times. Look around hang out for a few hours on different streets and see for yourself.

Money no object I'd select Encinitas (Olivenhain)

Last edited by eastcoastbias; 01-23-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-23-2017, 12:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
I'd also suggest Mission Hills area...

Old 01-24-2017, 09:12 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Here are some positives:
Schools are excellent and you will always have resale value because of it.
Safe
Community activities are excellent ( for instance: Concerts in the Park, 4th of July celebration (best in SD).
Lots of community pride
Excellent Parks
Great beaches

Negatives:
-Easier to get around on a golf cart or bike. If you aren't used to this- its an adjustment. Parking can be tough.
-There are shops and good restaurants but if you are looking for greater options you have to cross the bridge (for instance Gas: you will spend $$$ filling a car up. You don't buy gas in Coronado, you may not even grocery shop in Coronado.
-Can be too touristy
-Can be too small (easier adjustment for folks coming from smaller towns).

As one poster mentioned...tourists and traffic can be crippling. Some streets have very cars others littered with cars at all times. Look around hang out for a few hours on different streets and see for yourself.

Money no object I'd select Encinitas (Olivenhain)
Good Post
Repped
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego