Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

I have always owned a bully breed. Last year, I rescued a pitty, called my insurance agent and was informed the below...
I have been told by my insurance agent (farmers) that as long as a dog (BULLY BREED INCLUDED) that you own does not bite (ever) there are NO issues and they (the insurance agencies) cannot discrimanite against the bully breeds. ie; pitty, rotts, shepards,dobies etc. In renting, you need renters insurance and it also helps to have a good citizenship cert as well.
if you apply for a rental... you have renters insurance, a good citizenship cert and knowledge of the rules. There should be no issues.
Apartements will tell you that their insurance company says No... that they have a clause.. not true.
You can have them show it too you. or... move on...

This is only for the state if california
Don't re-home you're babies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:49 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsiownapittie View Post
I have always owned a bully breed. Last year, I rescued a pitty, called my insurance agent and was informed the below...
I have been told by my insurance agent (farmers) that as long as a dog (BULLY BREED INCLUDED) that you own does not bite (ever) there are NO issues and they (the insurance agencies) cannot discrimanite against the bully breeds. ie; pitty, rotts, shepards,dobies etc. In renting, you need renters insurance and it also helps to have a good citizenship cert as well.
if you apply for a rental... you have renters insurance, a good citizenship cert and knowledge of the rules. There should be no issues.
Apartements will tell you that their insurance company says No... that they have a clause.. not true.
You can have them show it too you. or... move on...

This is only for the state if california
Don't re-home you're babies...
Not sure if there is a question here, but landlords can and will reject an applicant based on the dog breed, that is very common. They may use insurance as an excuse but often it is just because they don't want any liability issues, or complaining neighbors. You can certainly try to sue the landlord for discrimination but I doubt you'd win. Personally if I lived in an apartment and the landlord rented to a pit bull owner, I would either move out or complain heavily to the landlord.

As for a homeowner, I can't imagine much of an issue there, it seems like if they can insure a home on a fault line they can insure a home with a dog.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
It is illegal to house a pit bull in the City of La Mesa. You will not be able to rent or own a home in La Mesa if you have a Pit Bull. The police do respond if there is a pit bull sighted in the area and you will have to appear in court.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:29 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Are we talking about Pitbulls, staffordshire terriers, or others? There are many breeds that look like pits but in reality are not. People can be so ignorant when it comes to this wonderful breed. I say if you're going to ban Pitbulls, ban poodles and german shepherads as well, since if you look at dog bite statistics, they are responsible for many of them. Cocker spaniels as well. The lady that needed a face transplant was attacked by a lab. Let's ban those too. Heck, let's ban any dog that has teeth, since any dog with teeth is a potential biter. It's ridiculous to ban a breed simply because of negative media stereotype. Punish the deed, not the breed. And punish owners that abuse the dogs and make them agressive. Why are innocent dogs being punished and criminals allowed to walk the street?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego