Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 AM

919 posts, read 783,865 times

Advertisements

I'm not Hawaiian I live here in North County. I have a place on Maui and plan on retiring there pretty soon. Also I love the spirit of Aloha traditions of the Hawaiian people which are about respect for the land and sea and for other people too. Its similar I guess to the golden rule and a standard I try to live up to.
Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,824,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
I'm not Hawaiian I live here in North County. I have a place on Maui and plan on retiring there pretty soon. Also I love the spirit of Aloha traditions of the Hawaiian people which are about respect for the land and sea and for other people too. Its similar I guess to the golden rule and a standard I try to live up to.
Dave
So you believe in things that aren't true -- the bag tax does NOT help the environment -- so you can feel good about yourself.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:31 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,766,246 times
I have seen a significant drop in plastic bags at home. Also, when they ask, 'do you need a bag,' if I have a few things I can drop in my purse I say no and it has been cutting down on how many plastic bags I take.

It's a good thing IMO.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:33 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,766,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
And the new, thick plastic bags will be showing up in the environment--and it will take them a long time to break down, compared to the old, free, flimsy bags. They may be reuseable, but eventually they still get discarded. Yep, great deal, great idea. Not.
I re-use the thick bags for groceries. They are great.

I have a box in my trunk full of reusable plastic and cloth bags.

Soon this will be a non-issue. Americans just like complaining about everything.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:35 PM

9,808 posts, read 11,060,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
As a result of the huge increase in local dump fees people are now dumping wherever they think they can get away with it. The area near the SD river is covered with piles of old concrete, couches and mattresses. Same with Fiesta Island.
Don't forget tons of contaminated lumber on Fiesta Island for the "fire wood" that gives off toxins since people cannot throw it away any longer except at huge expense.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:12 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,263,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
So you believe in things that aren't true -- the bag tax does NOT help the environment -- so you can feel good about yourself.
Right on
read these good scientific link to see how the ban is a failure and leads to an environmental nightmare and NOT salvation.

Cal Waste [scribd]106363047[/scribd]
Table ES-3 on page 6 Shows that plastic grocery bags makes up 0.3% percent of the total waste stream compared 9.6% with all plastic waste items audited.

San Francisco litter 2007 official department of public works audithttp://sfdpw.org/ftp/uploadedfiles/sfdpw/director/SanFranciscoLitterStudyFinalReport2007.pdf
San Francisco litter 2008 official department of public works audit http://www.plasticbagfacts.org/PDFs/...tter_audit.pdf
Shows plastic waste actually increased after the 2007 ban probably due to increased use of thicker plastic bin liners
3.2.3 bags page 35 shows
Non retail plastic bags, the ones not affected by the plastic bag ban ordinance, went up from 1.11% in 2007 to 3.42% in 2008
Retail plastic bags in which the plastic bag ban targets represents 0.6% of litter on both years.
Total bag litter went from 4.45% in 2007 to 5.91% in 2008 which represents people buying heavy duty plastic bags to replace retail bags banned from supermarkets they reused before.
A British environmental Agency on this website http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc8025...11buan-e-e.pdf
shows not only plastic bags are the most reused items it also takes the least environmental footprint. A cotton bag in its study must be used at least 131 times before it has less global warming potential than a high density polyethylene plastic bags. This number does not even include the resources needed to wash such bags which also represents a serious health, hygiene, and safety issue associated with reusing bags and food safety in supermarkets and restaurants as we cannot control how well people wash their reusable bags and may harbor norovirus and other virus and bacteria or decomposed food particles.
Bans on plastic bags harm the environment - Just Facts
https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2011/1...se-plastic-bag
https://www.abqjournal.com/466129/pl...ntal-ills.html

And anyone notice a significant amount of plastic garbage now spilling and flying from garbage trucks these days. San Diego County freeways are now lined with more litter than ever before. Like if all these other plastics won't end up in the ocean and make things worse?

People who claim the ordinance as a success just because they fewer grocery bags at home but do they consider the effects of other types of plastics. Only if you see fewer of all plastics combined than it is a success. But nowadays there are just more and more of other types of plastics including wrapping and bin liners. How is that good for the environment.

Also have anyone even considered that this is a big no no under the state's constitution to tell a store to pocket a government mandated fee to avoid the constitutional scrutiny of new taxes and fee as well as a gross violation of anti trust laws in an attempt to help big grocer stifle competition. Yes big grocers donated half a million dollars to lobby for politicians to pass this law. I am surprised no one considered that the war on grocery bags are among the most corrupt wars in history which involves unprecedented abuse of power by progressive governments around the world. Before this charging for bags scheme no similar mandates has passed to require private stores to pocket government fees. Fees always came in form of taxes which go through due process and is on the onus of the store to remit to the government.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:15 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,263,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Right on
read these good scientific link to see how the ban is a failure and leads to an environmental nightmare and NOT salvation.

Cal Waste [scribd]106363047[/scribd]
Table ES-3 on page 6 Shows that plastic grocery bags makes up 0.3% percent of the total waste stream compared 9.6% with all plastic waste items audited.

San Francisco litter 2007 official department of public works audithttp://sfdpw.org/ftp/uploadedfiles/sfdpw/director/SanFranciscoLitterStudyFinalReport2007.pdf
San Francisco litter 2008 official department of public works audit Site Unavailable
Shows plastic waste actually increased after the 2007 ban probably due to increased use of thicker plastic bin liners
3.2.3 bags page 35 shows
Non retail plastic bags, the ones not affected by the plastic bag ban ordinance, went up from 1.11% in 2007 to 3.42% in 2008
Retail plastic bags in which the plastic bag ban targets represents 0.6% of litter on both years.
Total bag litter went from 4.45% in 2007 to 5.91% in 2008 which represents people buying heavy duty plastic bags to replace retail bags banned from supermarkets they reused before.
A British environmental Agency on this website http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc8025...11buan-e-e.pdf
shows not only plastic bags are the most reused items it also takes the least environmental footprint. A cotton bag in its study must be used at least 131 times before it has less global warming potential than a high density polyethylene plastic bags. This number does not even include the resources needed to wash such bags which also represents a serious health, hygiene, and safety issue associated with reusing bags and food safety in supermarkets and restaurants as we cannot control how well people wash their reusable bags and may harbor norovirus and other virus and bacteria or decomposed food particles.
Bans on plastic bags harm the environment - Just Facts
https://www.greenbiz.com/blog/2011/1...se-plastic-bag
https://www.abqjournal.com/466129/pl...ntal-ills.html

And anyone notice a significant amount of plastic garbage now spilling and flying from garbage trucks these days. San Diego County freeways are now lined with more litter than ever before. Like if all these other plastics won't end up in the ocean and make things worse?

People who claim the ordinance as a success just because they fewer grocery bags at home but do they consider the effects of other types of plastics. Only if you see fewer of all plastics combined than it is a success. But nowadays there are just more and more of other types of plastics including wrapping and bin liners. How is that good for the environment.

Also have anyone even considered that this is a big no no under the state's constitution to tell a store to pocket a government mandated fee to avoid the constitutional scrutiny of new taxes and fees in this state as well as a gross violation of anti trust laws in an attempt to help big grocer stifle competition. Yes big grocers donated half a million dollars to lobby for politicians to pass this law. I am surprised no one considered that the war on grocery bags are among the most corrupt wars in history which involves unprecedented abuse of power by progressive governments around the world. Before this charging for bags scheme no similar mandates has passed to require private stores to pocket government fees, nor are stores forbidden solely from giving out something for free. Fees always came in form of taxes which go through due process and is on the onus of the store to remit to the government.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:56 AM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
I love for the T.V. Show, "Adam Ruins Everything" to do a show on the subject.

Old 04-17-2017, 12:37 PM

50,060 posts, read 46,605,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Don't forget tons of contaminated lumber on Fiesta Island for the "fire wood" that gives off toxins since people cannot throw it away any longer except at huge expense.
A magnet for the homeless. There are at least fifty different vehicles of assorted variety.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:01 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,143,493 times
People go shopping, pay $.10 for a bag, then throw it out. I find them, and use them, thus I should never have to buy any. I haven't even gotten close to running out, though. Plus, Petsmart and Dollar Tree still give out the old bags for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego