Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 11:58 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times

Advertisements

The freeways and road sides continue to be littered with those large industrial-type sheets of plastic that retailers and warehouses use for packing large items and that some contractors use in houses to protect floors. I've always seen more of that type of plastic trash than I have grocery store bags flying around.

I wonder why that wasn't addressed in the law? Maybe a fine for depositing it on roadsides? I would think that giant sheets of plastic are just as much of a danger -- if not more -- to the environment and wildlife than shopping bags.

But then, it has always suprised me how much trash in general people seem to just dump all over San Diego County. Sidewalks, parking lots, beaches, the sides of roads --- trash is everywhere here. Certain parts of the county look like a landfill exploded all over them. And, I've seen more dirty diapers just dropped in parking lots than I care to remember. What's up with that? Don't people use trash cans any more?

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-07-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 12:12 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
The funny thing is that I'm old enough to remember when they said that using paper bags will kill off the rainforest, so we need to use plastic bags instead. Now it's the plastic bags that will kill the planet, but paper bags are OK. Reminds me of all the headlines in the 70s about the coming Ice Age and now it's Global Warming. Apparently, some people just need something to be worried about.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:21 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
The freeways and road sides continue to be littered with those large industrial-type sheets of plastic that retailers and warehouses use for packing large items and that some contractors use in houses to protect floors. I've always seen more of that type of plastic trash than I have grocery store bags flying around.

I wonder why that wasn't addressed in the law? Maybe a fine for depositing it on roadsides? I would think that giant sheets of plastic are just as much of a danger -- if not more -- to the environment and wildlife than shopping bags.

But then, it has always suprised me how much trash in general people seem to just dump all over San Diego County. Sidewalks, parking lots, beaches, the sides of roads --- trash is everywhere here. Certain parts of the county look like a landfill exploded all over them. And, I've seen more dirty diapers just dropped in parking lots than I care to remember. What's up with that? Don't people use trash cans any more?
The inadvertent drop off of waste/plastic/rock/sofa chairs you name it stems from the extremely dumb hauling practices on the roadways here the police just seem to ignore. There is more time spent catching parking violations. In the past couple years alone, I've had a cracked windshield from a truck hauling rocks (uncovered) and I ran over a metal box and blew two tires from a "moving" truck/ ford pickup hauling past its limits. When I move I pay for a Uhaul and the insurance that is required. When folks move I have to replace my tires (almost missed my friends wedding too)

The trash is bad, part of the issue is infrastructure (includes trash receptacles) and maintenance of items- the city and its services are made for a city with half of the population we have- yet we continue to develop and overdevelop. Just like the stadium that was almost built and the avalanche of homes being built near Carmel Mountain/4S and Mira Mesa. From Traffic down the smallest details trash receptacles- NEVER considered. If you have a trash can that is full people dump. If you don't enforce hauling violations, people will drop and cause hazards in the process.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:

The absolute biggest problem we have in San Diego City proper is cigarette butts. You won't see them now due the rain but during our drought it was horrendous. Every single intersection was inches deep with them. All of that washed into our ocean.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
The funny thing is that I'm old enough to remember when they said that using paper bags will kill off the rainforest, so we need to use plastic bags instead. Now it's the plastic bags that will kill the planet, but paper bags are OK. Reminds me of all the headlines in the 70s about the coming Ice Age and now it's Global Warming. Apparently, some people just need something to be worried about.
Or have control over people while they make money off of it.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:34 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Or have control over people while they make money off of it.
This right here.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:50 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
The freeways are also jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive

Old 02-08-2017, 09:15 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every single intersection was inches deep with them.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:15 AM

648 posts, read 1,174,601 times
https://phys.org/news/2017-02-norway...-stranded.html

Cant believe no one's posted this yet. this is so incredibly sad. Probably happening much more than scientists are reporting. Using your own bags is not a big deal.. people carried their own bags to the store for centuries, right? before we got spoiled with single-use plastic bags..? IMO the biggest problem is that they are not uniform and the cashiers in most places aren't used to using them, it kind of slows down the check out line, etc. And the new bags aren't perfect either.. they break or tear eventually, and then where do THEY go? But it's better than what we've been doing.. which can only get worse as the population continues to explode.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 989 times
I agree that the ban is a failure the way it has been done, but perhaps for a different reason.
We used to have thin "disposable" bags that could be recycled if you care. Now, those thin bags are gone and we have thick (10x the plastic, easily) bags that are for all intents and purposes, still disposable. Just because they CAN be used 120 times, doesn't mean that they will be.

10 cents for a bag is not much of a deterrent. People still just pay for them. People will only start remembering to bring their own bags if the deterrent is greater. I'm voting for $1 a bag. And not a nice big fancy reusable bag that's just going to end up in a landfill, mind you. $1 for a normal disposable plastic bag. And the money goes to the city for something to be decided. (Environmental purposes?)

Then, folks will have the incentive to make a new habit, and we will reduce our plastic refuse, which was the whole point in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego