Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:45 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,379,623 times

Advertisements

ATL is an economic boomtown with low cost housing and is relatively central to the eastern seaboard, deep south and midwest. It really has a lot to offer. I have travelled there for work and have not found it to be as 'southern' as many of the people are transplants from the Northeast who are there for work. If I was younger and in an earlier stage of my my family / career life I would strongly consider ATL, certainly would put it ahead of any other major CA city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 PM

10,305 posts, read 8,466,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercad55 View Post
San Diego hands down! Atlanta has above average weather for the most oart but it's humid in the summer. Many outdoor activities but nothing compared to San Diego. Also living in SD close proximity to LA Palm Springs inland empire Laguna Beach. Crime in San Diego is one of the lowest in America for big citiea if not the safest. Atlanta always has been a tough city and no matter where you live you rich or poor area the risk of your door being kicked in is always there. Those brazen crimes rarely happen in SD but almost daily in Atlanta. More affordable yes but weather crime and culture is different. Bigger racial divide even though Atlanta has a majority black population and many wealthy blacks it's atill the south. Atlanta is turning into a smaller NYC so it's definitely a booming city with a good economy but SD better.
Have you actually visited or lived in Atlanta? The city of Atlanta does have a lot of crime, but the areas the OP has mentioned do not. Check the map and see for yourself. They are actually a fair distance away from the higher crime areas. As far as racial divide I have heard some parts of Ca it is even more apparent, part of it is due to social class differences. Myself, having moved from an area that had very few black people to one that has many, I was quite surprised how well everyone gets along.
My brother in law who grew up in NY and lived in Chicago , then to the San Francisco Bay Area traveled a lot for work said what really impressed him about Atlanta over other cities was how integrated the races were socially. He said many cities a bar or restaurant tended to be one race or another, but he said Atlanta was very well mixed even within the tables themselves.
I am Asian and I have only had two instances of sideways looks from people because of my race and both were in Ca.
Besides, the money you can save living in Ga can be so much you don't have worry about going to Palm Springs or Laguna Beach, you can just go hang out in Italy or the Caribbean instead

Old 02-15-2017, 09:53 PM

21 posts, read 20,001 times
Ive been to ATL probably 10 times for work, football games etc, Its just one of those places I say that you couldnt pay me enough to live for many reasons. I cant thin of one positive about it. San Diego where I live now for the past 9 years after living in OC where I grew up, Las Vegas, Boston, Portland and Seattle is a place that I say Ill never leave. Comparing ATL to San Diego is like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. One of the best places in the US to live vs one of the worst (at least the worst region of the US) although I suppose ATL is kind of the capitol of the South which isnt saying much.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 PM

782 posts, read 754,382 times
I lived in the Atlanta area for a year in the early 2000's, was short lived. We lived outside the perimeter near Douglasville off of I-20.

In reply to your questions, I can tell you that the air quality is not great, Atlanta has very bad pollen, so if asthma or allergies are an issue now, they will be even worse there. There are trees all over the place, lots of pine pollen, so much so our cars would be coated with a light yellow film over night. The area also get's a smog effect in the Summer it's bad and I don't think it's improved but I could be wrong? The Sun felt like it was hotter there than in South Florida, probably due to the Ozone and Air Quality which is the direct opposite in South Florida, quite good air quality near the coast.

Weather, it did not snow the year I was there nor did we get any ice storms, but it happens and when it does it's bad, mainly ice. It was colder than here, that's for sure but not Northeast winters, not t-shirt and shorts weather. Tornados are a big threat, at least in the area we lived in, when looking at houses we were told to get one with a basement, but seeing weather there since we left it seems there is a lot of frequent storms that blow through the area often.

Winters though, could not get use to the dormant grass and the look it has, dreary and worse than May Gray June Gloom here personally.

I never had a problem with the humidity, seeing we lived in SoFla for a long time, though the heat/humidty in Atlanta felt different, since you are so far inland. That's the other kicker for us, the beach, not like here or where we lived in SoFla, if you don't care about the ocean proximity, then it doesn't matter but for us it's a bonus.

Same goes for bugs, not something that bothered us but Pine Straw is a real popular form of mulch in the South, you won't see it in South Florida but Atlanta it's everywhere and it's a way to get bugs into your house, holds in moisture which roaches love.

People there are totally different, friendly for the most part, but there is also a different vibe you may not be use to, I cannot explain it but it's more of a standoff'ish type of mentality, depends where you go, some areas are old south and I worked and met a few people who did not care for me due to the fact I was a "Yankee" (Native of PA), even had a co-worker tell me that and said some racial comments to me that I cannot go into detail here as they are too graphic and would be deleted. Overall though, we found people for the most part to be friendly in public.

Often driving around the greater Atlanta area, I saw Confederate Flags both on flag poles mounted to pick-up trucks driving around and not little flags but full size. Or flags in general flying in people's yards. Not that I care, but some people do or are bothered by that flag. Note I also saw these flags in South Florida in some areas, but as the North moved in they became less evident, as in Atlanta there are more progressive areas and it's not so common.

It's also not uncommon in some areas to see cars up on cement blocks in yards, poverty or dilapiated run down homes, areas shopping malls. There is a reason The Walking Dead and Stranger Things is filmed in the Atlanta Area afterall, locations are often authentic. When we moved there there was a housing boom, but I heard it hit the bottom hard, a lot of homes were also built fast and were poor workmanship. My wife told me a year ago or so if memory serves me right, that home prices in the general area are dirt cheap as are rentals, probably too much inventory, not enough jobs or people moving in?

Crime, nothing personal experienced, but home invasions were on the news often while we there, too often it seemed, I-20 is also a major drug highway, so there is often a high police presence, some of the towns near Douglasville had larger police forces that what's common in towns elsewhere of similar population.

It's more affordable to buy a house by a longshot than here, so much land and areas and spread out Atlanta is huge. I personally didn't care for the style of homes there overall, the ones that were nice were often too big or too expensive, but big Mcmansions are common.

Areas we liked the best and would frequent, short list and we visited other places and did not get a chance to see it all.

Marietta
Kennesaw
Roswell
Alpharetta
Peachtree City

Douglasville area wasn't bad, but there wasn't much going on there back then, a Mall and typical big box stores. Might have changed, but traffic was backed up to a crawl in the mornings going into Atlanta. Also to add the roads there, seems like infrastructure was very dated and not improved, off ramps were too short and never adjusted for the population boom in some areas.

Traffic can be bad especially when there's an accident on the perimeter can be atricious, GA 400 is another one. It was bad back then, I heard it's worse now.

My job didn't work out and we moved back to South Florida, our time in Atlanta ended up being a negative experience but not 100%. I pondered going back last year, even applied for a few jobs, many US HQ there, Porsche has been there for years and now Mercedes moved to Atlanta from NJ within the past year or so, but nothing ever materialized and always had CA on my target so here I am. No regrets really, though North County is like no place I have ever lived, it's a nice area that's stil developing and not too nuts but close to it all.

Last edited by aewan68; 02-16-2017 at 11:28 PM..

Old 02-17-2017, 06:40 PM

761 posts, read 898,219 times
East Cobb, John's Creek, Milton, & Roswell are all great choices for families in Atlanta.

I'd also recommend checking out Peachtree City. It's an affluent suburb south of Atlanta of about 40,000 with an avg. family income of around 110K. The schools are outstanding and the crime is extremely low, but the golf carts paths make it a truly unique and active community. It has 100 miles of multi-use cart paths. You can bike, run, walk, and of course ride your golf cart on the paths. The paths connect neighborhoods, schools, churches, restaurants, and shopping centers. Kids as young as 12 can drive a golf cart with parental supervision, and kids 15 and older can drive them solo. The 2 local high schools even have dedicated golf cart parking. There are over 11,000 registered golf carts in town.

48. Peachtree City, GA | TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tV2b6rpBYk

Old 02-17-2017, 08:07 PM

249 posts, read 281,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Have you actually visited or lived in Atlanta? The city of Atlanta does have a lot of crime, but the areas the OP has mentioned do not. Check the map and see for yourself. They are actually a fair distance away from the higher crime areas. As far as racial divide I have heard some parts of Ca it is even more apparent, part of it is due to social class differences. Myself, having moved from an area that had very few black people to one that has many, I was quite surprised how well everyone gets along.
My brother in law who grew up in NY and lived in Chicago , then to the San Francisco Bay Area traveled a lot for work said what really impressed him about Atlanta over other cities was how integrated the races were socially. He said many cities a bar or restaurant tended to be one race or another, but he said Atlanta was very well mixed even within the tables themselves.
I am Asian and I have only had two instances of sideways looks from people because of my race and both were in Ca.
Besides, the money you can save living in Ga can be so much you don't have worry about going to Palm Springs or Laguna Beach, you can just go hang out in Italy or the Caribbean instead

Not only have i been to Atlanta, I was born in Atlanta and lived there for 18 years. Smh! People like you are the ones who move to Atlamta and say the a neighborhood is nice to only find out later that night a housing project is 1 blocks away. You'll probably be robbed within the first week with your attitude guy. You don't know anything about Atlanta. Right outside Atlanta you will find large redneck/ kkk areas you wouldn't know this because you didn't grow up there. You went out one weekend downtown Atlanta of all places where cops are everywhere and many colleges and business people go out. Little do you know. Please don't set this family up with your nonsense and one weekend visit.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:22 PM

341 posts, read 705,554 times
The answer to your question is San Diego, in my opinion. If your home is already paid for you're golden! Though on the smaller end you can make it work. Sure , move to Atlanta area and get a big house and decent school but guess what, it's still in Atlanta area and in general the "south". What It comes down to is can you stomach the whole southern culture thing. I can't and have no qualms saying so. I moved here to those very regions you are considering : John's creek, Alpharetta, yada yada and just can't acclimate. But that's just me. Moved here from LA and can't really adjust to the super conservative current here. For the most part. Chick filet - no thank you. Also keep in mind your child will be growing up during those formative years so careful where you choose. There's a reason most Californians stay in the western states if relocating. Like AZ WA NM CO NV OR UT ID. And you don't see southerners almost ever relocate anywhere else other than another southern state. In Atlanta area most transplant are from northeast, Midwest , other southern states, Caribbean. You get the gist. Anyway , best of luck and if I were you at least visit for a good spell this southern area. Yes tornadoes are a threat but not too bad. Stay out west! Peace!

Old 02-18-2017, 09:39 PM

782 posts, read 754,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifico View Post
The answer to your question is San Diego, in my opinion. If your home is already paid for you're golden! Though on the smaller end you can make it work. Sure , move to Atlanta area and get a big house and decent school but guess what, it's still in Atlanta area and in general the "south". What It comes down to is can you stomach the whole southern culture thing. I can't and have no qualms saying so. I moved here to those very regions you are considering : John's creek, Alpharetta, yada yada and just can't acclimate. But that's just me. Moved here from LA and can't really adjust to the super conservative current here. For the most part. Chick filet - no thank you. Also keep in mind your child will be growing up during those formative years so careful where you choose. There's a reason most Californians stay in the western states if relocating. Like AZ WA NM CO NV OR UT ID. And you don't see southerners almost ever relocate anywhere else other than another southern state. In Atlanta area most transplant are from northeast, Midwest , other southern states, Caribbean. You get the gist. Anyway , best of luck and if I were you at least visit for a good spell this southern area. Yes tornadoes are a threat but not too bad. Stay out west! Peace!
It was an adjustment for us moving to the Atlanta area from the Northeast, having lived in South Florida, which might be in the "South" but it's nothing like the South at all. Old saying there was "You need to go North to find the South" and it's true, Southern Culture does not exist in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties, there are some similarties with SoCal mainly the wealth, stucco and barreltile roofs, some palm trees and fauna, beaches though way different, but that's about the extent of it. I met people there from all over, even LA when I lived there.

When we lived in GA, they changed the state flag, they had one that was used for a few years that dropped removed the Confederate Flag off of the design though it was still on very small, not the same flag they have now. So while they are somewhat progressive by doing that, outside of the Perimeter in certain areas the vibe was different.

Though Chik-Fil-A's HQ is in ATL, they are out here too and seem just as popular at In-N-Out.

Personally I didn't care for the Pollen, Pine Straw and Poverty that existed in certain areas, made the mistake of getting lost in South Atlanta one time with no GPS back in the day, thought I was in Detroit waist high weeds and Kudzu, no street lights and people walking around in the shadows. Even go outside of the perimeter into other areas, not the wealthy areas small towns and you see a lot of blight and much of it ends up in The Walking Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSuObDM5i3E

Old 02-20-2017, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,111 times
Quote:
Not only have i been to Atlanta, I was born in Atlanta and lived there for 18 years. Smh! People like you are the ones who move to Atlamta and say the a neighborhood is nice to only find out later that night a housing project is 1 blocks away. You'll probably be robbed within the first week with your attitude guy. You don't know anything about Atlanta. Right outside Atlanta you will find large redneck/ kkk areas you wouldn't know this because you didn't grow up there. You went out one weekend downtown Atlanta of all places where cops are everywhere and many colleges and business people go out. Little do you know. Please don't set this family up with your nonsense and one weekend visit.
And as you know, there are 20-30 sky scrapers planned over the next 10 years. The boom now is more than ever. All you folks who are in SD would not recognize many of the new areas, and downtown is spades more active than it's ever been, especially midtown.

I love CA, but it's completely financially busted. Georgia is growing and things are happening here. The number of CA transplants is astounding and the things they have to say are interesting.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 PM

161 posts, read 403,771 times
Default fact check time...

Quote:
San Diego hands down! Atlanta has above average weather for the most oart but it's humid in the summer. Many outdoor activities but nothing compared to San Diego. Also living in SD close proximity to LA Palm Springs inland empire Laguna Beach. Crime in San Diego is one of the lowest in America for big citiea if not the safest. Atlanta always has been a tough city and no matter where you live you rich or poor area the risk of your door being kicked in is always there. Those brazen crimes rarely happen in SD but almost daily in Atlanta. More affordable yes but weather crime and culture is different. Bigger racial divide even though Atlanta has a majority black population and many wealthy blacks it's atill the south. Atlanta is turning into a smaller NYC so it's definitely a booming city with a good economy but SD better.
As a current resident of Johns Creek, GA, it is important to explain that our city is not crime ridden at all. In fact it's one of the safest cities to live in the USA. Yes, crime happens throughout ATL --- however--- this is a major city, so it will have crime problems in certain areas, but not everywhere. This a beautiful place with many down-to-earth, active families from all over the globe. People may be fiscally conservative, but not socially conservative. In fact, metropolitan ATL, including the "wealthy Northern Suburbs" have voted democratically for the past 3 presidential elections (at least). I feel the value of living standards offered is outstanding and should not be overlooked.

Johns Creek Ranked as America's 6th 'Safest City' - Johns Creek, GA Patch

As
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego