Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 04:54 PM

11 posts, read 17,324 times

Advertisements

I am from the Upper Midwest and I am contemplating a move to Southern California. I would like to fit in somewhat with the population if I relocate there. So what part of Southern California has the most former Midwesterners (in terms of numbers and/or density)? Is it the San Diego area or somewhere else?

Also, what part of Southern California has the most "Midwestern" feel? It would be especially interesting to hear from former Midwesterners now living in Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 05:05 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
What part of the midwest?

Old 02-16-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What part of the midwest?
Minnesota

Old 02-16-2017, 05:27 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlakes View Post
Minnesota

I know a lot of people from the MW here in San Diego. I don't think most of S Cal will remind you of the MW. You need to get inland a bit and away from large urban centers to really get the country feel if that is what you are looking for. There is a surprising amount of hunting here and, of course, world class fishing.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:56 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Why not move here and do what it takes to fit in? Develop new interests as necessary, but rather than trying to find people like you had at home, why not adapt and fit into our culture? Just a thought.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:36 PM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
I'll bite In San Diego - for some reason .... La Mesa, Santee, San Carlos come to mind

The Deep South and Midwest IMO are the furthest you will get from So Cal.

I will say cities like Chicago Cleveland St. Louis no comp there and the folks that whine about dirty and crime ridden downtown SD is they have no clue and need to visit these cities.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:48 PM

6,502 posts, read 7,531,718 times
According to this poll, there are many Midwesterners and folks from the North East in SD, at least on City Data.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...n-diegans.html

Old 02-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I'll bite In San Diego - for some reason .... La Mesa, Santee, San Carlos come to mind

The Deep South and Midwest IMO are the furthest you will get from So Cal.

I will say cities like Chicago Cleveland St. Louis no comp there and the folks that whine about dirty and crime ridden downtown SD is they have no clue and need to visit these cities.
Thanks. What are your thoughts on the N. County?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlakes View Post
I am from the Upper Midwest and I am contemplating a move to Southern California.

Also, what part of Southern California has the most "Midwestern" feel? It would be especially interesting to hear from former Midwesterners now living in Southern California.
In order to answer your questions, I think we need some more information.

For instance, what specifically does a "midwestern feel" mean to you?

Have you already visited Southern California and San Diego County? Which areas did you see during your trip and which appealed to you when you visited?

Also, it would be helpful if you could give us an idea of what you're thinking of for a housing budget here in Southern California. No sense in us telling you that an area where homes start at $1 million plus feels just like Minnesota if your budget is $500,000.

As for your question about what part of Southern California has the most "midwestern" feel, although I haven't lived in the midwest myself, both of my kids went to college and/or grad school in the midwest, and, over the years, I've spent a lot of time in Minnesota-Iowa-Wisconsin-Illinois-Michigan for various reasons.

The part of Southern California that always makes me say, "this feels just like the mid-west!" are the areas around El Centro and Brawley in the Imperial County. Those are both small cities surrounded by miles and miles of agriculture. The area has the same flatness and endless farm vistas that you'll find in, say, Southern Illinois. However, it's also out in the desert, so it is VERY hot there (by hot, I mean months of 100+ temperatures) and you may not be thinking of finding the rural midwest, but something else.

You mentioned North County. Are you talking about North County Coastal or North County Inland?

To me (and others might disagree) North County Coastal is probably the area that I would say is the least like the midwest in feel. Don't get me wrong - the North County coastal area can be a very nice place to live (although it is expensive), but I don't think you'll find much "midwest feel" there.

On the other hand, North County Inland has some communities that might strike someone as feeling a little more "midwestern" in feel. I'm thinking of places like Poway, Ramona, Fallbrook.

But, without knowing what YOUR definition of "midwestern feel" is, I'm just guessing.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-16-2017 at 09:37 PM..

Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Also, you may have already seen this thread, but it will give you a good overview of what different parts of San Diego County are like. In it, people who live in different areas describe what they like and don't like about where they live. Good intro to the many different areas and lifestyles in San Diego County:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...out-where.html

Just a thought, but rather than try to recreate the people and place where you are moving from why not take a different approach and think of your move here as a chance to experience something new?

Southern California is FULL of people who have moved here from somewhere else. Unlike a small town where everyone has known each other forever, since so many people are new here, newcomers usually don't stick out like sore thumbs, and generally find people they're comfortable with if they are open minded and friendly.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-16-2017 at 09:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego