Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 PM

54 posts, read 104,204 times

Advertisements

Hi! After considering different areas in north county, we're now seriously looking into 4S. Family of 5, young children. I've read a lot about PUSD on this forum and other places, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is that makes it such an excellent district. I'm a teacher, so I'm familiar with different schools and districts in California. We're currently in the central valley. We've been down to SD a few times to scope out different neighborhoods.

What is it that makes Poway Unified stand out above the rest? Is it the teachers? What exactly is the culture at the elementary level? Highly competitive? Emphasis on what-- sports? Grades? Discipline? Do the elem schools have recess time? Lots of homework? Well-rounded? Hands-on curriculum? Caring teachers? Bullying policy? Are your kids happy in school? What are the PTAs like? Clique-y or welcoming?

We are not opting into the rat race. I want my kids to enjoy their childhood, and I'm willing to homeschool or go the forest kinder route if needed. I honestly don't care about test scores. I've taught at fantastic urban schools with terrible scores, but the staff and kids were the BEST. Both husband and I are ivy university-educated, down to earth, love nature, and interested in raising kind-hearted, smart, hard-working children. I'm wondering if I'll find others in an uber suburb like 4S who want to live 'simply' and care about important things like compassion and social justice? Am I dreaming here? There's a long backstory to how we ended up considering 4S, that I won't get into here. And yes, we know about the MR fees. We're willing to pay in if the schools are really worth it. Because I used to teach elem, I do want my kids to get a great education that nurtures their love for learning. Just wondering what makes PUSD so great. Please share specifics! Thank you!

Last edited by auberrylane; 03-02-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:03 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Are you from CA? If not it's important to understand that CA ranks very poorly nationally in school quality and even locally, school quality is highly variable and a direct reflection of the demographic makeup of the city they are located in. Since there is relatively little middle class in CA you have a lot of really poor schools and really good schools but relatively few mediocre ones. Poway isn't that much better than it's neighboring wealthy schools (San Dieguito), but it's a lot better than the schools that are nearby but down the socioeconomic ladder a bit i.e. (SDUSD). General rule of thumb is that the large urban districts are notorious for being insolvent, corrupt and poorly managed, and even the wealthy areas within the large districts can be affected as a result.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:54 AM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
I don't think you're going to find many other Social Justice Warrior type moms in 4S. Most are stay-at-home soccer moms who wear yoga pants and drive luxury SUVs.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:59 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I don't think you're going to find many other Social Justice Warrior type moms in 4S. Most are stay-at-home soccer moms who wear yoga pants and drive luxury SUVs.
I would say typical 4S demographic is a white collar 2-income family where mom is a Sony Project Manager and Dad is an engineer. Large percentage of asians and whites. Luxury cars, luxury clothes, expensive vacations, etc.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:04 PM

Saasberto- I appreciate your perspective. I hadn't thought it from that standpoint before. Very helpful!
Axelrod- This is what I'm afraid of. I know PUSD has high parent involvement, which is great. But is the culture elitist?

Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I would say typical 4S demographic is a white collar 2-income family where mom is a Sony Project Manager and Dad is an engineer. Large percentage of asians and whites. Luxury cars, luxury clothes, expensive vacations, etc.

I just saw your reply. Got it. Sounds like parts of the Bay Area.

Old 03-03-2017, 12:52 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auberrylane View Post
Saasberto- I appreciate your perspective. I hadn't thought it from that standpoint before. Very helpful!
Axelrod- This is what I'm afraid of. I know PUSD has high parent involvement, which is great. But is the culture elitist?
Don't know if I'd call it elitist, but it's quite "yuppy" to me. I know a few families that live in 4S. None of the wives work.

I don't think you'll find many SJW's in the suburbs. Isn't that an urban kinda thing?

Old 03-03-2017, 02:11 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Oddly enough I live in Poway Unified district, specifically Rancho Penasquitos. My wife is a high school math teacher at PUSD and I guess we both fall in the liberal democrat genre. Her probably more than me. I know our particular precinct usually votes 49.5% / 49.5%, pretty much a diverse group. The high schools do have different characters however, all good just different.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:19 PM

3,395 posts, read 2,803,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Are you from CA? If not it's important to understand that CA ranks very poorly nationally in school quality and even locally, school quality is highly variable and a direct reflection of the demographic makeup of the city they are located in. Since there is relatively little middle class in CA you have a lot of really poor schools and really good schools but relatively few mediocre ones. Poway isn't that much better than it's neighboring wealthy schools (San Dieguito), but it's a lot better than the schools that are nearby but down the socioeconomic ladder a bit i.e. (SDUSD). General rule of thumb is that the large urban districts are notorious for being insolvent, corrupt and poorly managed, and even the wealthy areas within the large districts can be affected as a result.
This is right on....
Although Poway Unified hasn't been managed all the well they have the huge Captial Appreciation Bond due in 15 or so years.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:19 PM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auberrylane View Post
I just saw your reply. Got it. Sounds like parts of the Bay Area.
As a Bay Area transplant, I would say very much so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego