Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 08:02 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

I'll be driving from San Diego back up toward San Bernardino County & wanted to maybe stop in Carlsbad IF there's anything interesting. I would have just come from a little getaway in San Diego.

I like shopping & was maybe going to swing by the Carlsbad Premium Outlets since I've never been, but it seems like the typical premium outlet mall w/ the usual shops.

Anything else of interest? Some nice are to stroll. Any can't-miss restaurants? I don't drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Also, meant to add, any good/pretty good-sized of these stores that are NOT chains:

- art supply
- hobby stores
- thrift or Goodwill stores

Old 05-29-2017, 09:49 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Downtown
Legoland
Flower fields (not sure their status at this point)
Ocean (South Carlsbad is rocky and has meh beaches)
A newish Hobby Lobby is in San Marcos not Carlsbad. There is a Michael's just over the border in south Oceanside, by the 78. I go there from time to time with my sister (though it is painfully boring).
Thrift stores are plentiful in Oceanside, not Carlsbad. I don't know of any such stores in Carlsbad.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:18 PM

919 posts, read 789,202 times
There's a new Michaels in the shopping center at La Costa Ave and Rancho Santa Fe rd. Also the Forum is nice also in La Costa
The Forum Carlsbad :: 1923 Calle Barcelona, Carlsbad, CA. 92009 :: 760-479-0166

Dave

Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Just my opinion, but if I was going to get out and stretch my legs heading north on the 5, I'd pick downtown Encinitas (along the 101) over Carlsbad. The restaurant choices are arguably better in Encinitas and there are more interesting shops there. Flashbacks Recyled Fashion, a clothing resale shop, is right on 101, and if I'm not mistaken there's at least one other thrift store on the 101 as well.

More info:

https://www.sandiego.org/articles/no...alifornia.aspx

Encinitas Visitors Center - attractions-Encinitas accomodations-restaurants-beaches&parks

Some info on restaurants: https://sandiego.eater.com/neighborhood/encinitas

If you like art, the Lux Institute, which is also in Encinitas but not on the 101, might also be worth a stop, depending on the current show/exhibit/artist in residence (see: https://www.luxartinstitute.org/). The Meditation Garden at the Self Realization Fellowship is an interesting stroll too.

But Carlsbad and Encinitas are literally right next door to each other, so you could get off the 5 in Encinitas, see what you think, then head north on the 101 to Carlsbad before reconnecting with the 5. Or even better, get off in Del Mar or Solana Beach and just take the Pacific Coast Highway/101 north until you hit Carlsbad -- it's a quintessential San Diego drive.

Also, it's not really a "hobby store" per se, but Paper Crafts in Carlsbad might make an interesting stop if you are into scrapbooking or other paper crafts. http://www.papersource.com/kits/

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-29-2017 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-29-2017, 01:21 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I guess you guys missed the part where he said NO chain stores. Ha.

Old 05-29-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
And OP expects to find this in Carlsbad (and I see also in Temecula on the same day based on OP's posting history)?

Old 05-29-2017, 01:48 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
And OP expects to find this in Carlsbad (and I see also in Temecula on the same day based on OP's posting history)?
That's why I suggested downtown Encinitas. Not too many chain stores or chain restaurants there.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:54 PM

Thanks a lot RosieSD for helping me out in this thread & the other threads I started to help me plan my trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Yeah, because I have a Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabrics, & even Blick's in my immediate area, so I don't want to waste my time there. I want the independently-owned mom places if anyone knows of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Why is that a surprise for someone to wonder? Hey, I don't know squat about Carlsbad or Temecula. I'm never there, which is why I'm asking you guys because I'll be passing through those cities on my way home (without driving out of the way) from my San Diego getaway & I'll very rarely, if at all be in those areas in the future.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks a lot RosieSD for helping me out in this thread & the other threads I started to help me plan my trip!

Yeah, because I have a Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Joanne Fabrics, & even Blick's in my immediate area, so I don't want to waste my time there. I want the independently-owned mom places if anyone knows of them.

Why is that a surprise for someone to wonder? Hey, I don't know squat about Carlsbad or Temecula. I'm never there, which is why I'm asking you guys because I'll be passing through those cities on my way home (without driving out of the way) from my San Diego getaway & I'll very rarely, if at all be in those areas in the future.
I get you. Have you thought about trying some of the antique shops? See the Carlsbad Village Art & Antique Mall.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...alifornia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego