Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,911,834 times

Advertisements

A lot of people in North county don't want to go to Downtown San Diego. They feel it offers nothing to them and they feel it needs an overhaul because it's old and dumpy. They like Del Mar, La Jolla and Mission Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 PM

782 posts, read 756,381 times
We don't feel that way, but it's a lot easier to go to La Jolla since it's closer and off of the 5 with ease.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:55 PM

6,485 posts, read 7,480,446 times
They feel downtown SJ is better and would rather travel 8 hours North instead...

NO ONE FEELS DTSD IS OLD A DUMPY, YOU ARE MAKING THIS UP. #TOPPER-STRIKES-AGAIN

If anything, SOME people don't like going downtown SD because of homeless and too many you partiers, but not because it is "OLD AND DUMPY."

Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,911,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
They feel downtown SJ is better and would rather travel 8 hours North instead...

NO ONE FEELS DTSD IS OLD A DUMPY, YOU ARE MAKING THIS UP. #TOPPER-STRIKES-AGAIN

If anything, SOME people don't like going downtown SD because of homeless and too many you partiers, but not because it is "OLD AND DUMPY."
This comments came from people I know in Carlsbad/Del Mar and Vista. Not making this up. I'm fine with Downtown SD. They pointed out that the streets of Downtown SD, other than the Gaslamp District, need improvements. They feel it's not cozy and just dated overall. It needs complete revitalization, not just building some high rises with no detail to street level. C Street is horrible, they pointed out. East Village is homeless mecca despite Petco Park, several high rise residential/offices and new balpark village high rise rising. Horton Plaza is tired and outdated, so not much reason to come downtown.

Old 03-17-2017, 07:43 AM

50,153 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Mission Beach? Ya, some fine dining and endless parking there. LOL

Old 03-17-2017, 09:14 AM

280 posts, read 249,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
A lot of people in North county don't want to go to Downtown San Diego. They feel it offers nothing to them and they feel it needs an overhaul because it's old and dumpy. They like Del Mar, La Jolla and Mission Beach.
Can you explain what would draw me to go downtown besides the airport? I don't drink much (there goes gas lamp) and there are about 10,000 restaurants between me and DTSD. The biggest issue is the logistics of getting there. So I spend 30-45 minutes driving down and parking to do what activity that can't be done closer to home.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,018,706 times
*shrug* I live in North Park and I hardly ever go downtown except to go to the library. Not because it's dumpy, but because it doesn't offer anything I can't get a better version of someplace else (food, nightlife, shopping all on that list) and there's no free parking to boot

Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,895,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Mission Beach? Ya, some fine dining and endless parking there. LOL
agree for street parking & dining, but it has the most beach parking

Old 03-17-2017, 10:37 AM

9,523 posts, read 30,417,314 times
I work downtown and never go there except for work. Same restaurants can be found anywhere else. It's like a mini Vegas minus the live entertainment. There's just nothing there except the ballpark that you can't find somewhere else.

Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,102,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I work downtown and never go there except for work. Same restaurants can be found anywhere else. It's like a mini Vegas minus the live entertainment. There's just nothing there except the ballpark that you can't find somewhere else.
Agreed except that there are shows/performances that draw me there occasionally. However, there are very few exciting places to eat, lots of dead space and heaps of homeless zombies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego