U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2017, 12:23 PM

21 posts, read 15,672 times

Advertisements

In my search for schools I have noticed that not all middle schools have foreign language listed as one of the courses. As a matter of fact the schools I looked at in El Cajon do not at all. Is it a norm in San Diego area? My 7th grader started Spanish two years ago and my 5th grader was due to pick her foreign language before starting in a middle school next year. She was leaning toward French. I believe it is very important for kids to learn another language besides English and want them to have that opportunity. If schools don't offer the language option what do parents usually do? Are there language schools that kids attend after school? Private tutors?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 12:37 PM

5,923 posts, read 6,232,945 times
In the Lakeside Union School District, we have have the Riverview International Academy for full language immersion program in Spanish and then also Mandarin Chinese, two of my Elementary Schools ages kids are in this and so far we are impressed with the school. The program starts in Kinder and goes through 8th grade and there are many students from outside of Lakeside that attend.

In looking at our district's curriculum, it looks like the middle schools also offer beginning Spanish and Mandarin as electives to non-language immersion students. I am not sure why El Cajon, which is just South of us, does not have language classes. With such a large Chaldean population in El Cajon, it would be awesome if there were a Farsi or Arabic courses at the local schools. .

Do you live in El Cajon or are you moving to the SD area from somewhere else?

Old 03-18-2017, 01:05 PM

I am moving to SD area this summer. We have an opportunity to rent a place in El Cajon by the Rancho San Diego area. I was doing some research on neighboring schools. Such a shame if they did not offer foreign language.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:30 PM

^^ It doesn't appear to be offered in any Cajon Valley Union School District's schools, bummer. Both Cajon Valley Union and Lakeside Union are K-8's that feed into the Grossmont Union School District at the High School level, I am sure that foreign languages are offered at the high school level.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:34 PM

Thanks
It's good to start language early. I will look into other options.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 AM

7,527 posts, read 6,353,462 times
Jamacha Elementary, which is right around the corner from where you will be living in Rancho San Diego, offers an after school Spanish Enrichment Program. Some of the elementary schools in the Cajon Valley District offer bilingual immersion programs. If you are looking for an early start to language instruction, that would be the way to go (the primary language of instruction will usually be Spanish).

Hillsdale Middle School, which is also in Rancho San Diego, offers Spanish courses through Spanish 2.

All of the Grossmont Unified High Schools offer foreign language courses, as a minimum of two years of study in high school is a requirement to be eligible for admission to both the UCs and Cal States. Steele Canyon High School which serves the Rancho San Diego area, offers French and Spanish. Valhalla High School, which is the other high school serving RSD, only offers Spanish I believe.

Cuyamaca College, which is right in your new backyard in Rancho San Diego, also offers advanced foreign language study, and their courses are open to high school students. They offer Spanish, French, Arabic, Kumeyaay (local Native American language), and Aramic. The Aramic and Arabic programs are particularly strong, and since there is a LARGE population of immigrants from Iraq and other middle eastern countries in El Cajon, there are lots of opportunities to practice.

I've had a couple of students who supplemented their high school curriculums by taking advanced courses at Cuyamaca College and its sister college, Grossmont College, not just in foreign languages, but in other subjects as well.

Grossmont College, by the way, has a unique "Middle College High School" program that is a charter high school; students actually do their coursework on the Grossmont College campus in regular college courses. So, basically, you can graduate from high school with the equivalent of an associates' degree. It's a great program for academically talented students! Grossmont Middle College High School

If you are considering Catholic schools for high school, the new Mater Dei high school in Chula Vista is excellent, and just a hop, skip and a jump from RSD. http://materdeicatholic.org/ It is located in the beautiful Eastlake/Otay Ranch area, where you will find lower priced new homes in master planned communities that are similar to North County communities (and a little closer to the coast than RSD). Since I know you'll be looking to buy, you may want to keep that in mind. The public high school in that area, Olympian, is also quite good.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-19-2017 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Hillsdale Middle School, which is also in Rancho San Diego, offers Spanish courses through Spanish 2.
If anyone on the board is going to know it will be Rosie. The CJ Valley district's website is not easy to navigate or find anything on language programs from the home page but it looks like the district in fact does have its own language academy in Bostonia http://www.cajonvalley.net/Domain/11.

Last edited by malcorub16; 03-19-2017 at 12:58 PM..

Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 AM

As always Rosie comes through with very detailed information. The website was not very clear on courses offered. I could not find the info.
We had a setback this weekend. The house we were supposed to rent in El Cajon was cancelled. They decided to sell instead and gave us no warning. We are back to drawing board on location. Too bad this happened one week before we were due to sign papers. We will be in SD in a week with whole family and I'm not sure what we will do at this point. Looking for a place with 4 kids is going to take a toll on my sanity.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM

7,527 posts, read 6,353,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agusia25 View Post
As always Rosie comes through with very detailed information. The website was not very clear on courses offered. I could not find the info.
We had a setback this weekend. The house we were supposed to rent in El Cajon was cancelled. They decided to sell instead and gave us no warning. We are back to drawing board on location. Too bad this happened one week before we were due to sign papers. We will be in SD in a week with whole family and I'm not sure what we will do at this point. Looking for a place with 4 kids is going to take a toll on my sanity.
Sorry to hear that news! I know you were counting on the Rancho San Diego place. What is your approximate rental budget? Perhaps folks here would have some suggestions for you. Are you working with a real estate agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego