Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 09:27 AM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

This all sounds great but, where would we put them. I think E County is a great location vs downtown because the only way downtown works is to displace an existing establishment and/or it's occupants. What say you.

Organization Proposes 'Sleeping Cabins' for Homeless Families | NBC 7 San Diego
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:23 AM

300 posts, read 329,305 times
I say rework the entire welfare system, to begin with.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:01 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
When it comes to the homeless, San Diego is in a bit of a pickle. The more housing we build for them, the more homeless we will induce to come to San Diego. I mean, if you are "Down and Out," much better to be "Down and Out" in San Diego than in Detroit or Chicago.

We need to figure out a way to limit our homeless assistance to those whose homelessness originated here, while sending others back to their source locations.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:36 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
When it comes to the homeless, San Diego is in a bit of a pickle. The more housing we build for them, the more homeless we will induce to come to San Diego. I mean, if you are "Down and Out," much better to be "Down and Out" in San Diego than in Detroit or Chicago.

We need to figure out a way to limit our homeless assistance to those whose homelessness originated here, while sending others back to their source locations.
Well, obviously yes. And the above applies to all of southern and coastal California because San Diego does not have a monopoly on good weather.

But be careful, soon we will hear from someone who insists, despite all reason, that the homeless do not migrate.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This all sounds great but, where would we put them. I think E County is a great location vs downtown because the only way downtown works is to displace an existing establishment and/or it's occupants. What say you.

Organization Proposes 'Sleeping Cabins' for Homeless Families | NBC 7 San Diego
So the solution is to give them de-facto locking sheds in North Park on "empty lots" (someone owns these lots)? Note the lack of plumbing which means they defecate and urinate nearby. Greaat. I am glad I don't live near that.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well, obviously yes. And the above applies to all of southern and coastal California because San Diego does not have a monopoly on good weather.

But be careful, soon we will hear from someone who insists, despite all reason, that the homeless do not migrate.
Tell me how they migrate? Do they fly on SW, take a Greyhound? What do they use for an ID card to get on the plane, how do they pay the fare? Sometimes you have to

Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Love it or hate it the only thing that has worked to keep the homeless off the streets is supportive housing. It doesn't have to be fancy, just a private place to sleep cook and bathe. Old converted motels are ideal, but mini houses (cabins) or even trailers work too, but the key to changing the lives of some of the homeless is to surround them with social services. Google "Salt Lake City Housing First" for more info, I get tired of quoting the info and posting links that no one probably ever reads.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Tell me how they migrate? Do they fly on SW, take a Greyhound? What do they use for an ID card to get on the plane, how do they pay the fare? Sometimes you have to
They fly, e.g. Hawaii.
They take the bus.
They drive their cars.
They take the train.

Sometimes you have to think. Did it ever occur to you that many of them had enough money to migrate and then no longer have money once here for a brief time?

For example, many homeless moved to Colorado once they legalized pot. Maybe they teleported dear.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
They fly, e.g. Hawaii.
They take the bus.
They drive their cars.
They take the train.

Sometimes you have to think. Did it ever occur to you that many of them had enough money to migrate and then no longer have money once here for a brief time?

For example, many homeless moved to Colorado once they legalized pot. Maybe they teleported dear.
You should do some fact checking on the Colorado issue, dear

Quote:
As Westword contributor Kristin Pazulski reported in 2014, these stories are largely false. Yes, a percentage of homeless individuals have told shelters that they moved to Colorado to use marijuana for medicinal purposes, but they only account for a fraction of out-of-state transplants — most of the homeless who moved to Colorado report that they were looking for work.

Former Westword staffer Joel Warner also wrote a feature story for the International Business Times in which he found that the percentage of out-of-state newcomers who tell homeless shelters that they came to Colorado because of marijuana ranges from 20 to 30 percent.

But when it comes to the homeless who already live in Denver – the majority of this city's homeless population – pot was never the cause of losing their homes. "Using marijuana does not cause homelessness," Kim Easton, CEO of Urban Peak, told Westword. The primary causes of homelessness remain high rent, lack of jobs and mental-health issues.
Debunking Six Myths about Denver's Homeless | Westword
As far as homeless migration in other areas:

San Francisco Most of the people on the streets of San Francisco come from the city. According to the city's homeless survey, 71 percent were actually living in San Francisco when they lost their homes.

Los Angeles County The majority of adults experiencing homelessness (72%) have been living in LA
County for more than 20 years

San Diego County The survey asked unsheltered homeless individuals if they became homeless in San Diego. The majority (70%) of respondents said yes, they became homeless in San Diego.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You should do some fact checking on the Colorado issue, dear

As far as homeless migration in other areas:
Please tell me whether Colorado, post pot legalization (something that I supported in CA btw), did not see a giant spike in its homeless population. And if it did spike, how did all of those poor folks get to Colorado?

The sites you reported use methods that are not reliable and rely on advocates for their numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego