Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 PM

782 posts, read 759,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Santa Anas can clock 60-70+ miles an hour here (and more: top Santa Ana winds have clocked 150+== hurricane speed) And, when there's a fire heading in your direction whipped by those winds, that's just as terrifying (if not more) as any hurricane ( and I've lived through several BIG hurricanes when I lived on the Gulf Coast). Nor'easters (lived through those too) are nothing compared to a wild fire racing towards your home whipped by Santa Anas. Trust me on this.
I read 40mph+ sustained, gusts up to 60+, those 150+mph range was at nearly 8,000 feet on Mammoth Mountain, if that happened here you would see widespread destruction similar to a Tornado. I saw the videos and loss or property but not life on the scale of other natural disasters, material things are one thing your life is another.

Fire would scare me too, we got them in SoFla when it was dry from lighting strikes and they go up fast with all the pine and saw palmetto. Lightning is rare here but common there, so fires would start often from those.

Problem with a Hurricane is, they are so big unless you literally fly or drive quite far, sometimes out of Florida, you wont' avoid it and that doesn't always mean going to GA, SC or NC because you may get hit by it again if it reforms which has happened. Sustained winds and flying debris are all very dangerous, you don't want to be outside during one though you can walk out when the Eye passes over, I did and it was surreal, or attempting to flee during one. The only thing that would scare me more is a Tornado because there is little time to plan or react, especially if you are at work or travelling when it comes.

There is a much greater impact on human life from a Superstorm and a Hurricane like what hit in 1993 on the East Coast, statisically they are more dangerous than a Wildfire when you look at death toll and damages in $$ if thats the case.

Superstorm of 1993 "Storm of the Century"

Death Tolls:

Florida: 44
Alabama: 16
Tennessee: 14
South Carolina: 1
Georgia: 15
North Carolina: 19
Kentucky: 5
Virginia: 13
West Virginia: 4
Maryland: 3
Pennsylvania: 49
New York: 23
Maine: 2

Also the one in 1996 was quite bad, especially in PA, I remember them both along with the subsequent flooding we got in 1996.

Total of 154 people were killed during that one.

Blizzard of 1996 begins - Jan 06, 1996 - HISTORY.com

I went through both of those, we lost power in 1996 and it was quite cold out. Luckily we were prepared with a generator and warm clothing, but emergency responders could do little or get in a lot of places and people were trapped aside from those who were out on snowmobiles looking for stranded motorists and people in need mainly Seniors.

Hurricanes speak for themselves as do Tornadoes, the death tolls alone that is.

I hope to avoid fires here with the rain we got, hopefully we all will. Where I live currently there is not much threat, closest area that I know of that burned was behind CSUSM and an area in South Vista. I also live near Lake San Marcos, so I'll go jump in there as a last resort as long as I don't get boiled alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt_10 View Post
I agree. I have never lived through those wild fires.. Thank God. But this sounds way scary to me compared to hurricanes which I actually experienced when I lived in FL.
What Hurricanes did you experience in FL? Because 60+mph winds would be nothing to anyone who lived through a Tropical Storm which is a step below a Hurricane in wind speed.

Just wondering because your original post made it sound otherwise.

Quote:
Ok. The worst is about to happen. Wednesday is going to be rough if the forecast is true. Winds in excess of 65 mph. They also predicted flood. Huh! Not good.

Hope there won't be a power outage. This happened some weeks ago in PB. A power outage and I was left clueless. I only had a flash light . I had just got lot's of groceries. No power outages please.

On the plus side dogs will be indoors and I can be peaceful without the barking. It will also keep the drunk college kids indoors for the most part.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:10 PM

480 posts, read 418,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
What Hurricanes did you experience in FL?
I can't remember the name. It was years ago and I tried to remove that expereince from my brain. Not pretty.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I can't remember the name. It was years ago and I tried to remove that expereince from my brain. Not pretty.

Where in Florida did you live and what year?

Old 03-22-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
Where in Florida did you live and what year?
Oops. My bad. Now that I think about it, it was perhaps downgraded to a tropical storm in FL. I got that confused with hurricane Rita that happened when I visited Houston and was forced to leave because of it. My friend who drove me that trip was from FL. Lots of hurricanes happened that season and I got it all mixed up!

Old 03-23-2017, 02:00 AM

I left my apartment door open for one minute The wind literally knocked off all papers and a coffee mug right off my table. Huh! High winds it is. No kidding.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Storm watch S Cal 2017

Old 03-23-2017, 10:48 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
I left my apartment door open for one minute The wind literally knocked off all papers and a coffee mug right off my table. Huh! High winds it is. No kidding.
That's not high winds, but maybe to you it is.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
OMG, the winds were SO strong in this storm that my house was picked up right up off of its foundation, spun around in the air a few dozen times, and then dropped back down miles away!!!!!

While the house was spinning, I looked out the window and saw a lady who looked like a witch riding by on a bike with my little dog Toto in her basket!!!!

I'm told there's a wizard hiding behind a curtain somewhere who can help me get home!!!!

Anyone know where I can find him?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
OMG, the winds were SO strong in this storm that my house was picked up right up off of its foundation, spun around in the air a few dozen times, and then dropped back down miles away!!!!!

While the house was spinning, I looked out the window and saw a lady who looked like a witch riding by on a bike with my little dog Toto in her basket!!!!

I'm told there's a wizard hiding behind a curtain somewhere who can help me get home!!!!

Anyone know where I can find him?

the once White House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego