Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,680 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

We are a family of 4 relocating from Michigan to SD ( preferably Temecula/ Murrieta area) or ( San Marcos,Carlsbad,Chula Vista(eastlake area) in 5 months.

When we move we will be looking to rent for a year and would like to keep our rent between $1400-$2500 a month before we buy a home. Is this realistic? We should be making my husband anyway minimum $55,000 a year (together) at the very minimum $80,000 a year
We are looking to rent a home or apartment for around 1800 to 2700 a month. But really would like to purchase a home around for around $370k. I am currently a stay at home mom of 2 under 2 and plan to work once we arrive.

We are a middle class suburban AA family and not looking to live like millionaires just to live comfortably within our means and have our children in a safe,family oriented area with a excellent school district.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated for our journey! And tips on relocating out of state is also helpful as this will be our first time.

Thank you in advance ~

We are a family of 4 looking to relocate from Michigan to San Diego county area( Temecula/Murrieta),where to look for buying a home or rentals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 09:15 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshore87 View Post
Greetings everyone,

We are a family of 4 relocating from Michigan to SD ( preferably Temecula/ Murrieta area) or ( San Marcos,Carlsbad,Chula Vista(eastlake area) in 5 months.

When we move we will be looking to rent for a year and would like to keep our rent between $1400-$2500 a month before we buy a home. Is this realistic? We should be making my husband anyway minimum $55,000 a year (together) at the very minimum $80,000 a year
We are looking to rent a home or apartment for around 1800 to 2700 a month. But really would like to purchase a home around for around $370k. I am currently a stay at home mom of 2 under 2 and plan to work once we arrive.

We are a middle class suburban AA family and not looking to live like millionaires just to live comfortably within our means and have our children in a safe,family oriented area with a excellent school district.

Any help and info is greatly appreciated for our journey! And tips on relocating out of state is also helpful as this will be our first time.

Thank you in advance ~

We are a family of 4 looking to relocate from Michigan to San Diego county area( Temecula/Murrieta),where to look for buying a home or rentals?
What part of town will your husband be working?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
You need to read this discussion in its entirety -- don't just read the first few posts, read every post until the very end of the thread because the initial posts are from 2015 and it has only gotten more expensive here since then: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...go-rental.html

Then, go to a site like Zillow.com, Realtor.com or Redfin.com, use San Diego County as your search term, and set a maximum budget for $370,000. You can do the same for Temecula. These sites will also let you search for rentals.

These two actions should be your first steps before proceeding any further with your plan.

Homes in your price range are likely going to be clustered mainly in the far Eastern edges of the county (i.e., out in the rural mountain and desert areas). Those areas are usually NOT what people envision when they think about living in San Diego.

You may find a few single family homes in your price range in closer in areas, but they are likely going to be in less desirable areas (read: underperforming schools or higher crime areas) AND/OR be major fixer uppers. Again, areas not usually what people envision when they think about living in San Diego.

If you are OK with condos or townhomes, then you will find options in the $370,000 range in places like La Mesa, Santee, Chula Vista, Clairemont Mesa, Rancho San Diego, Mira Mesa, Oceanside, and possibly other family friendly areas. Of course, with a condo/townhome, you'll have to factor in monthly association fees, so that may bring your actual purchase budget down a bit in order to stay within what you want to pay in total costs per month.

I would highly recommend you come out for an extended visit and spend time in the areas where you find any SFH homes in your price range to see if they are what you have in mind.

Raising your budget (both for rent AND purchase) would give you better chances of landing in the type of family friendly neighborhood with good schools you seem to be envisioning. Your budget will be tight for a SFH even in Temecula, although you may find a few more options there than SD County. I'd recommend adding Murietta and Mennifree, and other Riverside County areas to your list to find more options, but, as moved notes, much depends on where your husband will be working and how long of a commute he can tolerate.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-23-2017 at 11:00 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Two more things:

When you look at listings on sites like Zillow.com, ignore the listings for homes being auctioned. Those homes almost always sell for significantly more than the starting price, unless there is something significantly wrong with either the house or location.

Also, keep in mind that this is a very competitive market for real estate. When you see single family homes priced significantly below the median (right now, that is hovering at around $550,000 for single family homes county-wide), you can expect that the home will ultimately sell for more.

So, in doing your research, also delve into the actual sales prices in different areas for the last six months. (Zillow.com has a feature that allows you to see recent sales, and the other sites probably do too). Again, most homes sold for significantly below the medians are going to occur when is something wrong with either the house or location. Or, they were full cash deals, sold to investors.

Finally, keep in mind that prices in the Southern California real estate market are constantly increasing. So, if you don't plan on buying until a year from now (or longer), plan accordingly, and tack another 5% onto the prices you're seeing today.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-23-2017 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM

119 posts, read 156,206 times
I recommend staying in Michigan. California is crowded and expensive. We're full. Sorry.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:10 AM
4SR

75 posts, read 105,889 times
Do you know where your jobs will be? That will be a bigger deciding factor on the two areas. Temecula is growing at a very rapid pace and I think is the next big spot in Southern California. Very affordable houses available.

Don't listen to the poster about California being crowded and expensive and "full." Sure its populated and expensive, but there is always room for more.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SR View Post
Don't listen to the poster about California being crowded and expensive and "full." Sure its populated and expensive, but there is always room for more.
And that poster lives in Oregon, not California.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
I would advise against living in Temecula and working South of the 56. UNLESS your employer has flex time and you can commute during times with less traffic, but lately folks seem to be crowding the road at any time for afternoon/evening commutes. **** As a side note, I can't understand why folks are on the road between 330-600 if you aren't coming home from work or picking your kids up from school. Get you stuff done during the day.

It is a grind and takes away time from actually enjoying San Diego and Southern California.

Compared to Michigan or just about any other Midwest area- Prepare for a cluture shock at both work and personal life/pace/way of life change/schools (very spotty here). Some good aspects some not so good.

Also, I wouldn't buy in Southern California now, I know lots of Midwest folks can't fathom renting but it is a different animal here, live here find out if this place is you. You would also be buying near the peak of mid sized bubble that may not get hit like it was in 2007-2008, but if you make a mistake on your selection of living here and want to move in 3/4 years I can't see you being in a better place by buying now and selling in 3/4 years. Just my opinion.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Compared to Michigan or just about any other Midwest area- Prepare for a cluture shock at both work and personal life/pace/way of life change/schools (very spotty here). Some good aspects some not so good.
Personally, I think the biggest culture shock will stem from a family of four living on $55,000 - $80,000 a year in Southern California.

That income probably buys a different level of lifestyle in Michigan than it does here (even in Temecula).

Of course, the weather is nicer here. But, you can't eat the weather or pay your bills and taxes with it.

I'm sure the poster is already aware of all of this -- just responding to your comment about culture shock.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-23-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-23-2017, 11:34 AM
4SR

75 posts, read 105,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Also, I wouldn't buy in Southern California now, I know lots of Midwest folks can't fathom renting but it is a different animal here, live here find out if this place is you. You would also be buying near the peak of mid sized bubble that may not get hit like it was in 2007-2008, but if you make a mistake on your selection of living here and want to move in 3/4 years I can't see you being in a better place by buying now and selling in 3/4 years. Just my opinion.

I agree renting for a year is probably the smart thing to do, but not for the reasons you listed. This is not the Bubble of the Mid-2000s and while housing is cyclical, you can't treat it as a y= Sin(x) type of graph. Interest rates are low and prices are high. If prices were to drop, we'd probably see a rise in interest rates first. If after a year, you plan to settle in California, then buying is smart. While a home is a big investment, it shouldn't be seen as an investment property.

But I stray from the topic at hand. I think the place of work will be the big decider for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego