Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM

49 posts, read 217,736 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am looking to move to california from Michigan with my husband and we were looking at OC and LA, but were told San Diego was more affordable and still nice? So, can anyone tell me about nice areas to move. It doesn't have to be near the beach because I prefer to work all the time instead and make $. My husband and I have BA in communications so we will be looking for work too. We are looking for 2-3 bedroom 2 bath home. To buy. Budget not over $700,000. Though cheaper the better since we are starting out. My criteria would be: 1. Safe area. 2. Close to mall, eating. 3. Good schools (want to have kids in next 2 years) 4. Parking. I've never been to San Diego only LA and I wasn't fond of it, so I'm hoping to hear good stuff about San Diego. Also, my neighbor moved from Michigan to Chula Vista and bought a huge home, but my mom said that it has a high mexican population and the schools are not developed. Any thoughts please are very much appreciated. And I heard that there were gangs in Southeast or southwest san diego? Not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 03:31 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,205,507 times
If you like small lots and wooden fences separting yards, Chula Vista area from Telegraph Canyon to the end is the place.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:00 PM

786 posts, read 3,904,277 times
If you prefer to work all the time, then why not live somewhere cheaper than San Diego, LA or OC? Especially if you aren't that fond of LA. I don't think San Diego is much cheaper than the other two places.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:29 PM

9,518 posts, read 30,300,271 times
LA or OC you will make more money.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 PM

409 posts, read 1,824,838 times
What's wrong with a high mexican population?

Old 03-05-2008, 08:07 PM

49 posts, read 217,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
What's wrong with a high mexican population?
Nothing at all. I just heard from others that the higher mexican population is the lower end cities? I have no idea, I was just asking for advice. I've never even been to SD.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,541,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselthedog View Post
Nothing at all. I just heard from others that the higher mexican population is the lower end cities? I have no idea, I was just asking for advice. I've never even been to SD.
Not true.Sorry.This might be the only place in the county with a high percentage of diversity(shows because I'm black and have friends of every race)and the poorest of the poor to the richest of the rich.If you've heard something from someone who does not live down here,then you might not know the real truth about CV and the whole South Bay,because almost EVERYBODY GETS IT WRONG.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 19,595 times
There are gangs in every city in the country, if you plan to live in a city. There are places in Chula Vista (like around Hilltop High) that you can go days without seeing a "Mexican." San Diego county has more different types of neighborhoods than ANYWHERE in the country. You just need to come look around. If you want a place with boat docks on each house, a Somali ghetto, gated community of $3 Million homes, restored 1910s houses for blocks, hip new 5 story downtown condos, beach bungalows, 1970s condos, ranch houses on 1/4 acre lots, mountain "A" frame cabins that get snow, quansit hut in the desert, hotel of drug addicts, White-trash trailer park, horse ranch, 12 story senior apts, restored Victorian on a hill, we've got it

Old 03-06-2008, 07:33 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,541,893 times
" If you want a place with boat docks on each house, a Somali ghetto, gated community of $3 Million homes, restored 1910s houses for blocks, hip new 5 story downtown condos, beach bungalows, 1970s condos, ranch houses on 1/4 acre lots, mountain "A" frame cabins that get snow, quansit hut in the desert, hotel of drug addicts, White-trash trailer park, horse ranch, 12 story senior apts, restored Victorian on a hill, we've got it"

That is Chula Vista.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

349 posts, read 1,538,959 times
Eastern Chula Vista is very nice (91915 & 91914) and believe it or not, there are homes w/large lots and pools and casitas in the backyard, they are not all "small lots". The schools are "developed" here infact we have some excellent schools in Eastern Chula Vista. Check the sticky for API scores. You will notice they get lower and lower as you go west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego