Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 08:49 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Why stay here... well I dont know anyone anywhere else. I have friends here. People who let me shower at their residences and when you live week to week with no more capital on hand than a couple of hundred bucks it doesnt make sense to just drive 1000 miles somewhere where you dont know anyone or even the city without at least a job and or an apartment waiting.
Think about what you are saying and consider those who plan to relocate anywhere.
They do so for a job. They have resources.
Even if rents are 50% less in beautiful Desert Sands AZ or wherever, I dont have the $2500 to get into an apt. there like I dont have the $5000 here.
Going to a strange distant city doesnt solve any of my problems it just adds new ones.
What do you propose?

If we somehow did manage to house all of the homeless in San Diego, what happens when more show up? What happens with those who simply do not want to live under someone else's rules? What do we do about drugs, drinking, fighting, theft, etc? What happens when those with homes want things like electricity, water, Internet, cable TV, etc? What do we do about those who simply refuse to get along with the rest of society?

There are always consequences for choices. You choose to stay in one of the most expensive places in the country. One consequence is your present situation. You could have an apartment for a third of what it costs here. I've moved across the country twice by distilling my life down to one carload of stuff.

Rejecting all proposed solutions because they don't suit your needs does not mean that one you like must come along one day. The world will keep turning and turning no matter what you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Why stay here... well I dont know anyone anywhere else. I have friends here. People who let me shower at their residences and when you live week to week with no more capital on hand than a couple of hundred bucks it doesnt make sense to just drive 1000 miles somewhere where you dont know anyone or even the city without at least a job and or an apartment waiting.
Think about what you are saying and consider those who plan to relocate anywhere.
They do so for a job. They have resources.
Even if rents are 50% less in beautiful Desert Sands AZ or wherever, I dont have the $2500 to get into an apt. there like I dont have the $5000 here.
Going to a strange distant city doesnt solve any of my problems it just adds new ones.
Picking a random spot is how I ended up in SD. Actually broke up with someone and wanted out of dodge, didn't really care where just not Denver where I was. I slept in my car for 3 months rather than deal with some drunks who at first offered to let me crash on their porch.

If I were single I'd already be doing it. BLM campsites are free. The last place I'd want to be homeless would be a big city.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Picking a random spot is how I ended up in SD. Actually broke up with someone and wanted out of dodge, didn't really care where just not Denver where I was. I slept in my car for 3 months rather than deal with some drunks who at first offered to let me crash on their porch.

If I were single I'd already be doing it. BLM campsites are free. The last place I'd want to be homeless would be a big city.
If you have wilderness survival skills, you'd probably do better out in BLM land or something like that. But if not, then you need to be where services are.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:22 AM

919 posts, read 789,341 times
Quote:
If we somehow did manage to house all of the homeless in San Diego, what happens when more show up?
-
(sarcasm alert) Yeah, and if we feed the hungry they will just be hungry again tomorrow. And if we give them preventative health care they will just live longer and remain a burden. What to do? (end alert)

Shame that many who have been so blessed in this country and in this state feel nothing but disdain for the less fortunate. And yes, they are less fortunate. I was just about at the point of homelessness in the 1980s. I straightened out and started life over. Though, yes, I worked hard and gained some success I don't feel superior to others, what I feel is "there but for the grace of God go I"
Dave

Old 04-02-2017, 07:23 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times
For that kind of money maybe they could field a homeless football team.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 3,741 times
St. Vincent De Paul is a foul organisation. So foul that Joan Kroc stopped helping them and left her fortune to Salvation Army (don't get me started on those people . . .)

Helping the homeless is a big business - of hiring people to help the homeless. Not actually doing much to combat the problem. This new thing will be just more of the same at taxpayers expense and the fleecing of the list of wealthy donors who still have some kind of heart to help the down and out. But, and there is always several of these lurking around the fringes:

This project will NOT hire homeless to BUILD any of these new shelters/apartments/SRO's, etc. Which is what the majority of the homeless (not crazy, addicted to something, physically handicapped, still give a crap about themselves and others, or too old) need in order to get back on their feet. In fact, places like St. Vincent De Paul are not doing a lot to ensure the people they say they are helping actually GET help. Sure, there are some pubic cases, just in time for the 'Giving Season', dutifully reported by their tame news station (Channel 8), but in the over-all scheme of things they don't do much. And when they are doing something its at the lowest level they can get away with in order to profit from the remainder of the grant money they got for helping people. Like pushing jobs n the security field, typically low paying, even if armed (impossible to be while living at a shelter)

Qualcomm Stadium. Bad idea for a soccer venue, bad idea for homeless.

Mental Care Facilities. San Diego closed or defunded several places way back in the mid nineties when they first started talking about PetCo Park. Those same facilities also were victims of the increasingly high pharmaceuticals costs.

Tent Cities. There is a law, for businesses that say they can't block the sidewalks. this law has been applied to tents and generally only enforced when there is an event at PetCo Park or in the ACE parking lots near 12th and Imperial. (Can only set up tents after 8:59pm and must start taking them down at 6a.m.) Can't have East Village looking like a homeless village for the tourists now can we?

The county does their best every day of the week dong a clean u in areas with heavy tent staging. For their part, the City and county realize (finally) that the lack of affordable housing, and the loss of SRO's to developers, and corruption in agencies (Alpha Project, St. Vincent De Paul) have forced many people to be homeless that would never have been. then add in the other jurisdictions that send their homeless here to get them away from their areas, and people voluntarily relocating due to our great weather.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 3,741 times
lol excellent words.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:03 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,579,035 times
I used to live in DT San Diego........I have to admit, tents encircling the USPS building seemed kinda "odd" to me!!!

Old 04-02-2017, 06:48 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,739,216 times
Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawkins619 View Post
St. Vincent De Paul is a foul organisation. So foul that Joan Kroc stopped helping them and left her fortune to Salvation Army (don't get me started on those people . . .)

Helping the homeless is a big business - of hiring people to help the homeless. Not actually doing much to combat the problem. This new thing will be just more of the same at taxpayers expense and the fleecing of the list of wealthy donors who still have some kind of heart to help the down and out. But, and there is always several of these lurking around the fringes:

This project will NOT hire homeless to BUILD any of these new shelters/apartments/SRO's, etc. Which is what the majority of the homeless (not crazy, addicted to something, physically handicapped, still give a crap about themselves and others, or too old) need in order to get back on their feet. In fact, places like St. Vincent De Paul are not doing a lot to ensure the people they say they are helping actually GET help. Sure, there are some pubic cases, just in time for the 'Giving Season', dutifully reported by their tame news station (Channel 8), but in the over-all scheme of things they don't do much. And when they are doing something its at the lowest level they can get away with in order to profit from the remainder of the grant money they got for helping people. Like pushing jobs n the security field, typically low paying, even if armed (impossible to be while living at a shelter)
Well said dhawkins. As I was reading all of the other posts I forgot that one very important point. More often than not, these homeless initiatives are more about lining the pockets of government bureaucrats than they are about helping the homeless. You are right. They will spend this money and hire a lot of workers who appear to be doing a lot of great things, but at the end of the day, it will do little to help. And what a great idea, why not employ some of the homeless to help build the facility. I know that's not that easy and may not seem practical, but it's not impossible. Or offer to help relocate those people who want to move to a cheaper city. Help them find jobs. Maybe even give them the first month's rent and security deposit. Seems to me a far better solution to get people back on their feet to help themselves.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:15 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,136,249 times
Altruism destroys. One should commit oneself to working toward one's own interest.

According to Ayn Rand, altruism is “incompatible with freedom, with capitalism, and with individual rights,” and therefore “the basic evil behind today’s ugliest phenomena.” Ayn Rand expressly opposed the destructive irrational altruism pushed by French philosopher Auguste Comte and earlier Prussian philosopher Immanuel Kant (a deeply devout Christian). Kant's ideas continue to be taught in schools of higher learning today. If we continue on this path, it will lead to civilizational collapse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg4QJheclsQ

Assistance must only be short term and never a way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego