Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 12:37 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,885,463 times

Advertisements

How about we send them to Mars like in the new aliens movie? Joking really no solution for homelessness exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,184 times
Yes, this is crazy expensive but what's the difference between this and the amount we spend on prisons?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:55 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,985,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Well this is that out of touch with reality thing again. You cannot criminalize poverty. You cannot pass draconian laws with harsh penalties for merely loitering on a public sidewalk. Even if you did in some attempt to make them go elsewhere, you find that elsewhere inevitably passes a similar law to keep them from flocking there.
Where I arrive at the out of touch with reality conclusion is because the philosophy is that the homeless will go away and disappear if we ignore them, or if we make being a bum a crime, or give them a bus ticket to elsewhere.
There has been an economic shift going on in America for decades, careers with pensions are disappearing, houses getting bigger and more costly, the numbers of homeless in every city are rising. The problem will not be solved with giant steel and glass public edifices. Constructing affordable housing, curbing illegal immigration, relaxing building codes, etc, will all help.
I think a part of what drives this now is that politically influential, wealthy people in places like San Diego guide local officials to drag their feet on anything which lowers their own property values. Get your councilman to nix affordable housing projects and this keeps the housing supply short, raising the value of their real estate portfolio.
Given the likelyhood of this being the case, and knowing what it takes to become wealthy- that guy in a nice la jolla or mission hills neighborhood did not get there thru hard work but by being ruthless. Investments in leveraged buyouts, having an accountant who knows how to stay on just this side of the tax code, maximize profits by laying people off... lets just say that when people compare the moral fiber of the homeless against those who some consider upstanding, the conventional thinking that the homeless are lesser because of their own faults is hard to swallow. The reality is maybe some of the homeless got that way because they took no more than their share at the dinner table of life. The residents of the house on the hill may have gotten there by heartlessly stepping on everyone in their way.
No one is trying to criminalize poverty. But you're not being fair in admitting that a large majority, yes MAJORITY, of homeless are substance abusers who have brought on a lot of their pain largely by their own hands.

You also make up a lot of excuses for your life. "Oh, I can't afford an apartment for myself in one of the most expensive metros in the United States". Tough **** sailor, neither could I when I first rolled into SoCal after serving 3 years in Army, getting shot at by people who wanted to video tape my beheading.

Can't afford an apartment? Find a room mate. Can't find a room mate? Rent a single room in someone's house for $500 a month. But you want your OWN apartment to yourself.

As someone who has donated tens of thousands of dollars of my own money in the South OC community to help homeless, I can't help but remember that a lot of them had a lot of "excuses" for why they ended up the way they did. Some of them I'm sure are valid excuses, but a lot of it is certainly cry baby bull****.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
No one is trying to criminalize poverty. But you're not being fair in admitting that a large majority, yes MAJORITY, of homeless are substance abusers who have brought on a lot of their pain largely by their own hands.

You also make up a lot of excuses for your life. "Oh, I can't afford an apartment for myself in one of the most expensive metros in the United States". Tough **** sailor, neither could I when I first rolled into SoCal after serving 3 years in Army, getting shot at by people who wanted to video tape my beheading.

Can't afford an apartment? Find a room mate. Can't find a room mate? Rent a single room in someone's house for $500 a month. But you want your OWN apartment to yourself.

As someone who has donated tens of thousands of dollars of my own money in the South OC community to help homeless, I can't help but remember that a lot of them had a lot of "excuses" for why they ended up the way they did. Some of them I'm sure are valid excuses, but a lot of it is certainly cry baby bull****.
You know the VA has some pretty good programs for PTSD and Anger Management.... you should give them a call.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:00 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,238 times
I gather the biggest contributions to Father Joe come from millionaires and billionaires in La Jolla and Rancho Santa Fe.

The kind of people who might hire you to handle security at an event on their estate, but then ask you to move your "cheap little car" behind a bush so that it doesn't create an eyesore for their guests.

A recent article in The Reader had an interview with a young homeless woman who had just moved to San Diego. She was hanging out in Ocean Beach, while her boyfriend was starting a job in Chula Vista.

Apparently, she thought his future prospects were very good, because she told the interviewer that she planned to marry him, then divorce him a couple of years later so she could live off of him for the rest of her life.

It used to be the cops would run "bums" out of town, but that's illegal now. They can't even stop you from sleeping on the sidewalk -- federal courts have decided that loitering and panhandling are constitutionally protected "political speech" -- like burning the American flag.

In the old days, the bums -- apart from drunks passed out on "skid row" -- stayed out of sight in hobo encampments, usually near the railroad tracks. They didn't get government handouts and didn't expect any, and they managed to survive. The severely mentally ill were committed to asylums. The elderly, frail, crippled, etc., were taken care of by relatives.

Now government has stepped in to "take care of the problem," but of course it fails miserably. It mostly outsources the work to non-profits that are more interested in big salaries and fancy offices than in helping anyone. Think I'm being mean in this post? You should hear how some of these supposed do-gooders talk about their "clients"

I find it interesting that the bleeding hearts who claim to care about the impoverished and unemployed in this country freak out when I note that maybe building the wall and stopping the flood of cheap legal and illegal immigrant labor into this country when so many American citizens are out of work would create needed job opportunities and less of a financial burden on society so that it could devote more resources to helping those who want to be helped.

Just the other day, there was an article in the Union Tribune about Governor Brown issuing pardons to two criminal illegal aliens who had been deported after serving time for their crimes. One had killed her baby. The other had been sentenced to prison for cruelty to animals. The governor pardoned them to make it easier for them to get back into the United States. Just what we need -- animal torturers and baby killers..

Yes, Governor Brown, let's care more about these despicable foreign criminals than about our own homeless and poor citizens. It's this type of thing that makes people like me much less sympathetic to pleas for compassion in general. We do know one thing. Having government and churches deal with homelessness hasn't worked -- it's just attracted more homeless.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
I called this in weeks ago as they moved their swap meet style stolen bike mart to under the bridges when it was raining. They had stolen bikes hanging off the fences in plain sight.

Clean up of San Diego River homeless encampment, chop shop to begin - 10News.com KGTV-TV San Diego

Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I called this in weeks ago as they moved their swap meet style stolen bike mart to under the bridges when it was raining. They had stolen bikes hanging off the fences in plain sight.

Clean up of San Diego River homeless encampment, chop shop to begin - 10News.com KGTV-TV San Diego
That kind of activity is not that common among most homeless people. Think about it, if it were there wouldnt be a homeless problem, they would all be in jail.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

A recent article in The Reader had an interview with a young homeless woman who had just moved to San Diego. She was hanging out in Ocean Beach, while her boyfriend was starting a job in Chula Vista.

Apparently, she thought his future prospects were very good, because she told the interviewer that she planned to marry him, then divorce him a couple of years later so she could live off of him for the rest of her life.
In the end she is guaranteeing a life of homelessness for the both of them. Thia has been a factor in my situation. My ex went on welfare in the early 90s and once you get in arrears on a child support judgement your credit is screwed.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:04 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post

I just moved last week to Grant Hill where I am renting a room for $450 which includes utilities! He has dogs who have fallen in love with my yorkie. He loves cooking so I made a deal with him that I would do the dishes. For someone on a limited income, I believe I won the lottery.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:43 PM

673 posts, read 465,771 times
You bleeding heart fools. ENOUGH !!!!!!! The bums have ruined downtown San Diego, the brain dead mayor and the equally dumb city council haven't a clue what to do with all the bums. I Don't Care..........get them out !!!!!

The streets and water/sewer pipes in falling apart and city spends millions on bums........get out !!!!!

Make the bums clean streets, pick up trash, clean the San Diego River area and in general, earn your keep for your bum housing. ENOUGH..................

Move to the desert you bums..........see how that works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego