Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 10:17 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Not to mention those SoBs who use coupons or write a check.......

Write a check? Do they think it's 1968?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 10:18 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This is exactly why I prefer the self check-out lanes. I always get stuck behind somebody that wants to have a conversation with the check-out clerk and hold-up the line.

I think sometimes it's the clerk wanting the conversation.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:49 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Not to mention those SoBs who use coupons or write a check.......
I don't write checks, but I DO use coupons, and it doesn't take any longer to scan them than it does to check out.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Write a check? Do they think it's 1968?
There are lots of people who still write checks. There are also lots of people that don't have smartphones, either. I know two people who not only don't have smartphones, but also don't have a computer.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:17 PM

491 posts, read 473,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
In my experience ever since cities start to pass these grocery checkout bag ordinances around tbose state self checkout machines are just a pain to deal with as they were originally programmed to work solely with traditional plastic grocery bags. If you use it in any other manner than with traditional plastic grocery bags in the bagging area it would get confused and just keep repeating the line "unexpected item in bagging area removing this item" Because of this it is now slower to use self checkout than regular checkout lines. And now customers who want to purchase bags will still need to buy it from an attendant which further slowdown the process.

The other issue is with shrinkage as its much harder to detect whether the customer scanned all the items before putting it into a paper bag or a cloth bag. Many stores in areas with ban before prop 67 had installed metal fences and gates to control traffic leaving the store and many places around the country storeowners are concerned that they are losing ever more money due to shrinkage since these ordinances came about as its harder to see whether an item has been paid for since more people are carrying them out by hand or own bags rather than with store plastic bags given at the counter.
Not having plastic bags sounds like a bad idea. I don't understand it. What is so unenvironmental about it? There's nothing wrong with producing excess trash. It's very inconvenient for people to not have bags to carry things with. What's wrong with using plastic bags. Recycling itself is a waste of money. Usually it costs more to recycle than to actually just put it in a landfill in a sustainable way. It's all just an excuse to make people feel good. It really offers no benefit to our society except for the paper bag lobbyists and the extra 10 cents that they are charging people for another bag.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:36 AM

2,067 posts, read 1,069,056 times
So happy that the Ralphs downtown has self checkouts as I generally dont want to have any interaction with anyone besides hello, good and goodbye.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:10 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This is exactly why I prefer the self check-out lanes. I always get stuck behind somebody that wants to have a conversation with the check-out clerk and hold-up the line.
That's me, I'm that guy
Just Kidding, i keep the chitchat to a minimum and leave the line immediately.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:12 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
Not having plastic bags sounds like a bad idea. I don't understand it. What is so unenvironmental about it? There's nothing wrong with producing excess trash. It's very inconvenient for people to not have bags to carry things with. What's wrong with using plastic bags. Recycling itself is a waste of money. Usually it costs more to recycle than to actually just put it in a landfill in a sustainable way. It's all just an excuse to make people feel good. It really offers no benefit to our society except for the paper bag lobbyists and the extra 10 cents that they are charging people for another bag.
Its all just progressive propaganda that the increasingly one sided media and "progressive" minded politicians all over the world get brainwashed with shortly after the start of the 21th century, Think Agenda 21. Which in short is that politicians must course the humans under their respective juristictions to live what they believe or should I say misbelieve is a "green" lifestyle in order to save the planet. Alas they now have control over the UN making it easier for than to spread this false propaganda around the world. Though think about it so many items inside the store are still wrapped in plastics, shoppers now would need to use more meat and produce bags to keep from spilling liquids into paper or cloth bags or into their car, and garbage still needs to be bagged or else they will spill and results in even more loose plastics in the environment. In all sense it is all a feel good solution in search of a problem that is much much worse for the environment not to mention cause many other unintended consequences such as shrinkage, the issue with self check machines, the issue with the EBT card holders like what happened in Irvine, and so many others that are too many to count.

Look at this reusable bag related VIDEO: Brawl at El Cajon Vons store as employee blocks woman from leaving - 10News.com KGTV-TV San Diego I bet she used self checkout when this happened to attempt to get away with checking out and paying for much fewer cans of baby formula than how much she carried in her reusable bag. She might have gotten away with it many times in the past but was seen by a manager this time. Stores are loosing tons to shrinkage ever since these ordinances started to appear in CA and other parts of the country such as Seattle. This explains why expensive barricades are installed in more stores than ever.

Though since the selling of bags is now a major revenue generator for big grocers, stores find it more cost effective for cashiers to sell bags to customers often without telling them the real costs than have customers use self checkouts where they may slip away with items unchecked and either skip buying bags or take bags without paying the fee, yes some stores do keep bags where customers could self help to them under the "honor system."

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 04-19-2017 at 01:34 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Its all just progressive propaganda that the increasingly one sided media and "progressive" minded politicians all over the world get brainwashed with shortly after the start of the 21th century, Think Agenda 21. Which in short is that politicians must course the humans under their respective juristictions to live what they believe or should I say misbelieve is a "green" lifestyle in order to save the planet. Alas they now have control over the UN making it easier for than to spread this false propaganda around the world. Though think about it so many items inside the store are still wrapped in plastics, shoppers now would need to use more meat and produce bags to keep from spilling liquids into paper or cloth bags or into their car, and garbage still needs to be bagged or else they will spill and results in even more loose plastics in the environment. In all sense it is all a feel good solution in search of a problem that is much much worse for the environment not to mention cause many other unintended consequences such as shrinkage, the issue with self check machines, the issue with the EBT card holders like what happened in Irvine, and so many others that are too many to count.

Look at this reusable bag related VIDEO: Brawl at El Cajon Vons store as employee blocks woman from leaving - 10News.com KGTV-TV San Diego
You're really obsessed with the plastic bags ban, aren't you?

Old 04-19-2017, 05:10 PM

212 posts, read 195,271 times
There are two reasons I like the self-checkout lanes. One, I don't like to interact with people in the grocery store. I usually go after work when I am tired and my social battery is at an ebb. Secondly, I don't like the way they pack my bags. I walk about 1/2 mile home and if the bags aren't packed correctly, it is unwieldy to carry them and I have to stop and re-pack them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego