Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,635 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I might have opportunity to relocate to SD with my job. My wife and I live with our two lids (3 and 5) in the Bay Area. We love it here, but looking for lower cost of living (yes SD is "cheap") , and more laid back lifestyle. We would probably end up in North Co, but open to SD if someone can tale me into the family / school dynamic there :-)

The positives of SD county are really clear.. great schools, lifestyle, beach, etc. And I hear the weather is decent?

I'm getting hung up on a few downsides. Would appreciate any feedback. Don't mean to be negative, just trying to get rid of these before I make the leap.

Politics & Values - we are pretty progressive, a little in politics but moreso in lifestyle. I bike everywhere I can, try not to be materialistic. I worry north co might be too conservative / suburban for us? Also worried about girl stuff... would hate for my daughter to grow up with body image issues, etc. I definitely would like social outlets that aren't church.

Nature - love all the beaches and canyons in SD, but if I am being honest, I really like me some trees. I trail run and mountain bike, and worry it would be hot being exposed all the time. Also love camping with kids, and would miss the trees. Am I overthinking it? I'm sure I would love SD nature once I get into it

Friendliness - we would love to live somewhere more friendly. Bay Area, I find people flaky and transactional. I definitely see the difference when I travel east. Is San Diego any better?

Would also love town recommendations? Right now leaning carslbad or encenitas, or possibly San Marcos / SEH.

thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:27 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,316,354 times
What area would you be working in? Buying or renting?

Old 04-25-2017, 11:39 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,189 times
What the heck does being transactional mean? LOL...I think you've been in the Bay Area way too long!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:24 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,176 times
SD is probably cheaper than Bay area, but probably not as much as you think. Especially in the north county, which tends to be more costly than the rest of the county.

SD school district is not great. It's very hit-or-miss. Some of the other school districts are going to provide more reliably good schools.

You are going to miss the trees for mountain biking and running (unless there are some shaded trails I don't know about). For camping, the situation is more promising. The SD County camping parks are really nice for camping in, and they have plenty of shade trees. And even some of the non-camping parks are nicely shaded and good to visit with kids.

As for how friendly people are, as a generalization you'll find people as friendly here as you find them where you live now. It's much more about you than them.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 AM

thanks all

Working off of 15, about halfway between SD and Escondido. Seems to me about 30-40 min commute anywhere

transactional - when you talk to someone, the sense they are not interested in you but only whatever they are looking to get out of the conversation. the contrast becomes more clear when you travel east

friendliness - an example of what I don't like... in current hood, everyone walks right into their house and stays there, no one says hello to neighbors, etc. I agree we matter too..

Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM

686 posts, read 1,137,843 times
Where are you in the Bay Area that you love? If you are in San Ramon, North County is a decent fit, it won't feel too different. If you are in Mill Valley or the Berkeley Hills, look to Mission Hills, Kensington or South Park but you have to be very careful of schools and it sure sounds like the SD schools are a mess currently. Those areas will have more "community" and friendliness than anywhere in North County with the possible exception of Encinitas west of the 5 freeway.

I wouldn't worry about the trees. It's not like the Bay Area is Seattle in terms of greenery, and IMO it's worth it to trade the ocean, warmer winters/summers and beaches. Also, you have Balboa Park and fairly easy access to mountains covered with trees.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:12 AM

Thank you sfoyd, great detail. I lived in Berkeley and that was my favorite area.. combo of city amenities and family friendly. I currently live in Palo Alto, which I don't at all like... and probably not very different than San Ramon.

I'd love to live in one of those city areas, but very scared about the schools.

And I'd love to live in Encenitas, but probably can't afford anything west of 5.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM

686 posts, read 1,137,843 times
Well if you own a home in Palo Alto, you could afford to live anywhere in San Diego and pay for private schools ;-)

I do think there are good Catholic school options in central San Diego as well as charter schools like High Tech high. I don't have children so I'm not the right guy to ask.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like North County would be a good fit for you at all especially if Palo Alto is too suburban. I think you would love Mission Hills/Kensington/South Park and the commute would be reasonable but you would have to carefully consider the school situation just as you would in Berkeley or the Oakland Hills.

I think this article will be helpful for you that talks about good schools in walkable, somewhat affordable neighborhoods. It's tough to find in the USA! Notice there are no Bay Area neighborhoods on the list but quite a few in San Diego:

https://www.redfin.com/blog/2016/01/...est-block.html

Old 04-26-2017, 12:03 PM

264 posts, read 250,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
I wouldn't worry about the trees. It's not like the Bay Area is Seattle in terms of greenery, and IMO it's worth it to trade the ocean, warmer winters/summers and beaches. Also, you have Balboa Park and fairly easy access to mountains covered with trees.
Agreed. San Diego County has great hiking (with trees). Some parts don't look anything like what you think of as San Diego.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,692,864 times
First off, there def won't be as many trees here as in NorCal, but cost of housing will be much, much lower. SD county has great camping in the mountains in the eastern pat of the county.

I love Encinitas/Carlsbad, as I live here, but it is quite suburban, and can be somewhat materialistic in many areas (but not like Orange County).

However it sounds like your job is around the Scripps Ranch/Poway area? Which means anywhere coastal is going to make for a tough commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego