Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 PM

7 posts, read 58,657 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I moved to San Diego from Texas since a lot really good doctors are here (came down with Lyme) and just got in the mail a notice that I need to renew my vehicle registration.

It is showing that I need a passing inspection to obtain registration, so I'm not sure if a California inspection will work for it.

I'd rather keep the Texas plates and driver's license.

Has anyone done this before?

I've searched Google and haven't had an easy time finding straight answers (even searching the DMV's FAQ on out of state vehicles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 09:50 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
The DMV has a nifty checklist for someone just like you:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...sts/outofstate

As for driving an out of state vehicle .. there's a page for that too:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...s/howto/htvr33

So basically you'll have to legally pay a registration fee whether you are a resident, or you primarily use your vehicle on California highways.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstepdown88 View Post
Hi everyone,

I moved to San Diego from Texas since a lot really good doctors are here (came down with Lyme) and just got in the mail a notice that I need to renew my vehicle registration.

It is showing that I need a passing inspection to obtain registration, so I'm not sure if a California inspection will work for it.

I'd rather keep the Texas plates and driver's license.

Has anyone done this before?

I've searched Google and haven't had an easy time finding straight answers (even searching the DMV's FAQ on out of state vehicles).
We'd all like to keep our cars registered in Texas, where the fees are lower. [/b]

Are you only here for less than six months and living in a hotel while receiving medical treatment? Are you in the military or a military dependent?

If so, you're in the clear and don't need to register your car or get a Calif. driver's license.

Or, have you leased or bought a place to live and plan on staying here longer than six months? Will you be working (i.e. receiving pay while living here, even from an out of state firm) in California?

If so, then you are now considered a California resident and legally need to switch your registration and driver's license (and you'll also need to pay California state income tax, too, by the way).

This is explained on the DMV FAQ page where it says this:

A vehicle must be registered in California if it is based in California or is primarily used on California highways (located or operated in this state for a greater amount of time than any other individual state during the registration period), even if registered to a nonresident owner (CVC §4000.4).

You are considered a California resident if you are present in this state on more than a temporary or transient basis for 6 months or more in a 12-month period (CVC §516) and/or California is the state where:

You are registered to vote.
You are gainfully employed. Military personnel are not considered gainfully employed in California, even if they also hold a civilian job.
Your place of business is located.
Resident tuition is paid at a public institution of higher education.
Dependents attend a primary or secondary school.
Homeowner's property tax exemption is declared.
Property is leased for use as a residence.
Residence is declared to obtain a license, privilege, or benefit not ordinarily extended to a nonresident.
Your current driver license was issued.
You are determined to be a resident as evidenced by acts, occurrences, or events that indicate presence in the state is more than temporary or transient.

When Are Fees Due (in General)?
Registration renewal fees are due annually. The "date fees due" is the annual expiration month, even if registration is applied for later. Example: The "date fees due" is 5/2/13, so the expiration will be in May 2014.

When California registration is required, an application for original registration must be made to the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) within 20 days of the date registration became due to avoid penalties (CVC §4152.5) or 30 days from the date of sale for California-licensed dealers (CVC §9553(c)(1)).

Current Registered Owners
If a registered owner is the same (no ownership change) and the nonresident vehicle is:

Currently registered out-of-state, fees become due on the date that occurs first. The date:
- Residency is established.

- Out-of-state registration expires.

- Of entry, if the vehicle is furnished by a nonresident to a California resident for regular use in California.

- Of entry, if the vehicle is a commercial vehicle (unless registered as an auto in the prior state).

- Of entry, if the owner is a nonresident individual or business having an established place of business in California, and the nonresident vehicle is being regularly used in California (CVC §6702).

- Of first operation, if the vehicle was not driven, moved, towed, or left standing (parked) on any California highway.

Not currently registered or proof of current registration cannot be provided, fees become due on the date that occurs later. The date:
- Of entry.

- After the out-of-state registration provided expired.

The registered owner must apply for registration or planned nonoperation (PNO) prior to the vehicle's out-of-state registration expiration to avoid fees and/or penalties.

Now, is CHP going to hunt you down? Probably not. But the fact that you've already gotten a notice from the DMV saying you need to register your car tells me that you've already been identified as a permanent resident as they define it.

Things could get particularly tricky should you be in a car accident and your insurance company discovers that you've legally established residency in another state.

And, if you are stopped by a cop for any reason, and they learn you have an out of state license and registration but are living here -- you can get extra fines for that.

So, either move back to Texas, join the military, or pay up just like the rest of us.

Welcome to California!

Old 05-02-2017, 08:03 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Make an appointment at the DMV- otherwise you will wait in line for hours. I've been to few over the years Vista/Oceanside, Poway, Hillcrest- I think Poway was the most pleasant experience. My apologies if I offend anyone Our DMV is the model for inefficiency. Granted they see unprepared folks every day.

Be prepared to pay an arm and a leg (compared to Texas). The shock wears off after a few years, BUT We just passed a new gas tax too so your annual fees here will go up.

When you get your car smogged- my advice is shop around. Some shops will charge twice as much.

Not that I suggest this....but With the lack of patrol here- you can go months probably years (well until your out of state tag expires- still I don't know how much CA would care about that) without this being an issue.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
you'll need a jarhead haircut

Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 AM

7 posts, read 58,657 times
My tags will expire at the end of the month.

My friend has had his Louisiana plates for 4 years. He said he renews online but I'm not sure how he gets around the inspection part (and he doesn't seem to remember).

I was more looking for ways of how people who've successfully done this did it. I'm pretty sure they'll make get a new drivers license if I register the car here.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfstepdown88 View Post
My tags will expire at the end of the month.

I was more looking for ways of how people who've successfully done this did it. I'm pretty sure they'll make get a new drivers license if I register the car here.
Are you in the military or a full-time student in California?

That's the only "successful" way to get around the California law that California residents must get California plates and get a California driver's license once they establish residency.

And, Texas sees it the same way. Here's what the Texas DMV says:

Q: I’m a Texan currently living out of state. How do I register my vehicle in Texas?

A: You must register your vehicle in the state or jurisdiction where you currently live, unless you are a full-time student or active military. If you are a student or active military, contact your local county tax office in the Texas county where you last resided for more information.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register-your-vehicle/

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-02-2017 at 10:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego