Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:40 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
That is one of the problems with both La Jolla and Del Mar. A lot of people think that La Jolla is a city but it is not, it is part of San Diego. Like you said neither of those homes are actually in Del Mar or La Jolla.
I've heard people (and realtors) try to spin Carmel Valley as "Del Mar." But it isn't.

As for La Jolla, I always remember when a friend from the east coast declined to stay with us because the wife wanted to stay in "La Jolla" which she had heard was "The" place to stay near San Diego.

So, they made reservations at the "Sheraton La Jolla" which is actually not far from the house LuvSoOC mentioned above.

They were sorely disappointed to find out that you needed to drive to the beach and the upscale shops and restaurants in the village of La Jolla, and their "view" was not of the ocean but of the 5 Freeway.

But, it's not just the tony areas of the county that do this spinning of the truth. Happens in less tony areas too. For instance, I've seen ads for homes in Nestor that claim the house is in Imperial Beach, when it isn't. Or, you'll see homes listed in "Ivy Ranch" that neglect to mention that it is actually in Oceanside.

That's why it is so important for people thinking of moving here to get boots on the ground and do their due diligence instead of relying on online ads. Otherwise, you may end up buying a $1.4 million home, thinking you're getting a deal in "Del Mar" that actually isn't in Del Mar.

That said, the Del Mar Heights area is certainly very nice, and it does border Del Mar, so I'm not saying it is a bad choice. I'm just saying that if you should be aware that if you think you're buying in Del Mar, you're not.

And, anyone who actually lives in the city of Del Mar where the median sales price is over $3 million will be happy to correct your misunderstanding.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-08-2017 at 09:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 10:00 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I've heard people (and realtors) try to spin Carmel Valley as "Del Mar." But it isn't.

As for La Jolla, I always remember when a friend from the east coast declined to stay with us because the wife wanted to stay in "La Jolla" which she had heard was "The" place to stay near San Diego.

So, they made reservations at the "Sheraton La Jolla" which is actually not far from the house LuvSoOC mentioned above.

They were sorely disappointed to find out that you needed to drive to the beach and the upscale shops and restaurants in the village of La Jolla, and their "view" was not of the ocean but of the 5 Freeway.

But, it's not just the tony areas of the county that do this spinning of the truth. Happens in less tony areas too. For instance, I've seen ads for homes in Nestor that claim the house is in Imperial Beach, when it isn't. Or, you'll see homes listed in "Ivy Ranch" that neglect to mention that it is actually in Oceanside.

That's why it is so important for people thinking of moving here to get boots on the ground and do their due diligence instead of relying on online ads. Otherwise, you may end up buying a $1.4 million home, thinking you're getting a deal in "Del Mar" that actually isn't in Del Mar.

That said, the Del Mar Heights area is certainly very nice, and it does border Del Mar, so I'm not saying it is a bad choice. I'm just saying that if you should be aware that if you think you're buying in Del Mar, you're not.

And, anyone who actually lives in the city of Del Mar where the median sales price is over $3 million will be happy to correct your misunderstanding.
When we moved to San Diego the first time, we lived at the La Jolla Cove apartments right in the cove. It was nice being able to hear the waves at night. However we did not care for the weather. It was too cool and we like to see the sun first thing in the morning. Living near a beach is not a priority for us at all. However it was nice to be able to walk to the restaurants and stores.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
That is not in the "village of La Jolla". Find me a home in the village of La Jolla or in La Jolla Shores for $1 million and we'll talk.

The home you've linked to is in the La Jolla Heights area, which is just over the freeway from University City and down the road from UCSD. It's a nice enough area, but certain sections do get a bit of fly over noise from the Miramar Air Station.

Of course, there's no such thing as a "city of La Jolla". Everything people term "La Jolla" is just another neighborhood within the city of San Diego, like Scripps Ranch, Pacific Beach, North Park, Barrio Logan, etc.
Given local definitions of neighborhoods - UCSD has a La Jolla address, but could it be considered part of the Torrey Pines area?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Given local definitions of neighborhoods - UCSD has a La Jolla address, but could it be considered part of the Torrey Pines area?
It could be as UCSD lies between them. I went to UCSD.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:01 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
That is one of the problems with both La Jolla and Del Mar. A lot of people think that La Jolla is a city but it is not, it is part of San Diego. Like you said neither of those homes are actually in Del Mar or La Jolla.
That house is definitely in La Jolla.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:18 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,648,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
That house is definitely in La Jolla.
It's also in the city of San Diego.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Quote:
It could be as UCSD lies between them. I went to UCSD.
As a side note, have you heard that UCSD has changed its name to UC San Diego now? You won't see UCSD on anything anymore. I think they wanted to be consistent with all the other universities in the system that spell out the name of the city, with the exception of LA, which people generally refer to as LA anyway. Going to be hard to get used to that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego