Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 10:46 AM

716 posts, read 393,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Why do you say San Diego has done a better job than Dt. SJ? Most of Downtown SD is still rundown. Walked on C st? East Village is still a blight despite construction. San Jose has done excellent job downtown: building offices/hotels/housing and transit with pedestrians in mind. It has a great beer, wine bar and coffee scene with great nightlife and live music. The improv is bigger than any of SD comedy clubs. You haven't hung out in downtown lately obviously.
No we haven't hung out in downtown SJ lately. It was never a real destination for us, our relatives or any of our coworkers, acquaintances or friends. I think the cities are like apples and oranges with little in common. We enjoyed downtown Portland so much, we wanted something similar and for us SD came much closer.

No place is perfect and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as we were already there, we obviously wouldn't have moved if we felt SJ had a desirable downtown. And besides, riding my bike to take in the 'breathtaking' views of Alviso, just didn't cut it for me...

Btw, would you know anyplace that makes anything close to a Kirk's burger in SD?

Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,347,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
LAX is not out of the way. It serves a metro of 18 million and is relatively centralized.
It's only centralized if you live on the Westside. If I fly down to SoCal, I try to avoid it whenever possible because the ground access to/from LAX (traffic congestion) is pretty unpredictable and often awful. Like the 405. Ugh.

Give me BUR, SNA, LGB or ONT anytime, depending on proximity.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
No we haven't hung out in downtown SJ lately. It was never a real destination for us, our relatives or any of our coworkers, acquaintances or friends. I think the cities are like apples and oranges with little in common. We enjoyed downtown Portland so much, we wanted something similar and for us SD came much closer.

No place is perfect and you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but as we were already there, we obviously wouldn't have moved if we felt SJ had a desirable downtown. And besides, riding my bike to take in the 'breathtaking' views of Alviso, just didn't cut it for me...

Btw, would you know anyplace that makes anything close to a Kirk's burger in SD?
Probably Boll Weevil.

Old 06-02-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Probably Boll Weevil.
Thank you for the link, but I just called and they cook their burgers on a flat grill. I'm looking for a SD burger joint that uses a wood or charcoal open grill.

My search continues, I hope I haven't made a mistake by moving here...

Old 06-02-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Thank you for the link, but I just called and they cook their burgers on a flat grill. I'm looking for a SD burger joint that uses a wood or charcoal open grill.

My search continues, I hope I haven't made a mistake by moving here...
Oh, then you want the habit. Also canada steak burger if it's still open.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, then you want the habit. Also canada steak burger if it's still open.
Thanks again. We like the Habit for their fried chicken sandwich (great fries too) but they told me at the Little Italy location that they use a flat grill.

I called Canada steak burgers, although they use an open grill, it's only heated with gas. But it looks like it's the best bet until my quest is completed...

Old 06-02-2017, 01:44 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,928,249 times
Quote:
Probably Boll Weevil.
why they name restaurant that?

Old 06-02-2017, 01:55 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,006,587 times
There is nothing to do in DTSD. Unless you want to have a bro fest in the gaslamp or watch the padres suck.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:05 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
There is nothing to do in DTSD. Unless you want to have a bro fest in the gaslamp or watch the padres suck.
Here are a few reasons to visit downtown SD. This topic seems to come up every couple of months and guess who starts the thread 90% of the time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...nt-want-3.html

Old 06-02-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
why they name restaurant that?
cotton weevil was taken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego