Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Specifically, the information you'll want to compare on each Profile includes:

- Student demographics. This is important because students who are minorities, from lower income families, or English as secondary language speakers will, in general, have lower test scores than those who are white or from wealthier families. So, knowing the demographics of the school puts the academics in context; a school that is heavily Hispanic, for instance, where 80% of kids go on to 4 year colleges is likely as strong academically as one where the student body is mostly white/Asian and from wealthier families. Also, most parents want to make sure that their kids will fit in, so knowing a bit about the demographics can be helpful.
I see this mantra repeated over and over. However, it is demonstrably not the case that so-called minority students, including those from lower income families, will, in general, have lower test scores than whites. This is simply not the case with the following ethnic groups:

East Asians
South Asians
South East Asians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 09:52 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartans94 View Post
We will be relocating to the area soon for a job in North County. I have read all of the info on the form I could find about Vista (Shadowridge) and San Marcos. Could someone please help clear up a few things.

1. Are the Schools in San Marcos worth the extra real estate cost - seems like similar homes are about +$150K more
2. What is the current state of Shadowridge - improving / declining?
3. I've seen posted saying to stay south of 78 in Vista (which would be shadowridge), is this the same for San Marcos?
Just comparing the two properties, I want to make the following observations:

1) Vista (Shadowridge) is "closer to things" and thus one might find it more convenient for shopping, and a bit closer to the ocean. This area is also closer to areas that are not desirable.

2) San Marcos is generally less convenient and requires much more driving to get to roads and get around. However, everything nearby is newer and it is closer to better schools. Note that there are fewer apartments nearby (which adversely impact school performance/scores). In addition, the San Marcos house area is intertwined into Carlsbad's newer areas. It is also closer to Encinitas (and La Costa) but there are many lights. I would expect crime to be lower here too given the distance from the freeways.

I would go with San Elijo if I had to choose between the two.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:24 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
I can only speak from experience as a 20+ year (former) resident of Vista. We had our child in private school, the Vista Unified School District was that bad. Vista's schools also have to absorb some students from neighboring Oceanside.

When it was time for our child to attend high school, we obtained an intra-district transfer to Rancho Buena Vista High School, which is in Shadowridge. At the time, they had excellent AP classes & an IB program...this was a few years back. I did NOT want my child to attend Vista High School back then, & certainly wouldn't recommend it now.

Shadowridge is an attractive, well-kept area, but is now a 30-year old neighborhood. I would recommend San Marcos, as close to Carlsbad as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego