Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2017, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 467 times

Advertisements

We are moving to San Diego and looking for places
To live based on our work locations.

I will be working south of San Diego (905/I125)
Area. My wife is in health care so, allot of medical facilities offices etc, seem to be north
Of Mission Valley. I don't want her to drive allot
To work so wondering how traffic on I125 is?

I also will have a toll pass.

We are looking to rent for around $3,000.00 for the first year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:06 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,652,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimengaz1 View Post
We are moving to San Diego and looking for places
To live based on our work locations.

I will be working south of San Diego (905/I125)
Area. My wife is in health care so, allot of medical facilities offices etc, seem to be north
Of Mission Valley. I don't want her to drive allot
To work so wondering how traffic on I125 is?

I also will have a toll pass.

We are looking to rent for around $3,000.00 for the first year
Overall, the 125 isn't horrible during rush hour. It does have some slow and congested spots during peak times but they generally aren't at a standstill unless there is some sort of accident. (Note: it also isn't a toll road all the way, just down in the South Bay).

However, it really depends on where she needs to commute to and where she will be commuting from.

The 125 only goes to Santee, which is east of Mission Valley. So, to get to places north of Mission Valley, she'll have to take one of the east-west freeways and then possibly get on another north/south freeway.

For instance, if she needs to get to say La Jolla where UCSD and Scripps Hospitals are, then taking the 125 to the 52 and west is problematic because the 52 is a BEAR in rush hour going up over the summit from Santee (where the 125 ends).

Similarly, if she needs to get to Kearny Mesa, where Kaiser is located, she'll need to take either the 8 or the 52 over to the 15 to head north. The 8 can get pretty congested in the morning, as can the 15 south. (Of the three east west freeways in the center of the county, the 94 is generally the least congested, but still gets slow)

However, you do have other north-south freeway options from the south bay, such as the 5, the 805, and the 15 which, from certain parts of the south bay, may be more convenient to getting north of Mission Valley as they wouldn't involve as much east-west zig zagging.

You may want to also look at places to live along the 8 and 94 corridors and possibly along the 52 corridor to the west after the summit, where traffic dissipates a bit. That will shave a bit of time off of your wife's commute by putting you closer to Mission Valley, and you'll be going more against traffic going south from there than she will going north from the South Bay. In essence, you'll be splitting the difference between your commutes more towards the center of the county than you will in the south bay.

Good luck with your move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: