Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times

Advertisements

Any useful SD city crime amp web link ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,218 times
I use crimemapping.com - not just for San Diego, but pretty much anywhere.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Any useful SD city crime amp web link ?
This will help locate gang areas.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...17.080941&z=10

also:

San Diego County District Attorney

Old 07-02-2017, 08:00 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
What is it with you and gangs? I lived in Shelltown/Barrio Logan for three years, and never saw a gang member. I think you have a gang fixation.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:35 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What is it with you and gangs? I lived in Shelltown/Barrio Logan for three years, and never saw a gang member. I think you have a gang fixation.
I think people should know where they are as they are a source of a lot, not all, of the crime. Just as the family of the woman killed in a gang shooting in Escondido would agree. They were shooting at each other across a street and did not care who actually got hit. I lived there for many years and such was not even a small worry then.

They also are a major supplier of drugs and the druggies commit crimes to be able to buy drugs.In their neighborhoods it is lower but what they cause outside that area is not good. Gangs are not what you want. Never have been, never will be, unless a person is just stupid or a gang member or a politician wanting their vote.

Now if you want just crime in total, go to Trulia, look up an address and they will show recent crimes in the area.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:23 AM

FYI, not all addresses are in Trulia, and there are gangs in other states. If people want gang information, they're quite able to find it themselves without your outdated information. You have a definite gang fixation problem.

Maybe you should make an appointment to talk to a SDPD officer in the gang unit for more updated information, then if you still feel the need to post about gangs, your information will be current.

Old 07-03-2017, 11:55 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
I think people should know where they are as they are a source of a lot, not all, of the crime. Just as the family of the woman killed in a gang shooting in Escondido would agree. They were shooting at each other across a street and did not care who actually got hit. I lived there for many years and such was not even a small worry then.
How long ago, exactly, did you live in Escondido?

Because I've lived in SD County for over 30 years, and as long as I've been here, Escondido (and San Diego in general) has never been some crime-free nirvana. There have always been pockets in Escondido that were less safe than others.

So, perhaps your memory is a bit foggy.

And, of course, one terrible incident does not mean that the entire city of Escondido is unsafe or a horrible place to live where people get shot at every day. That's the danger of "maps" based on outdated data -- people can get false ideas about places. The same is true about pointing at one isolated (and very sad) incident; that amounts to fear-mongering, rather than providing helpful information.

That said, I do agree with you that it is helpful for people to have data and facts about crime in areas they are considering.

However, I'd suggest that if you want to be helpful, it would be better to point people to a site like crimemapping.com, which allows people to see actual CURRENT crime data from law enforcement for specific areas. Crimemapping.com even provides data about current gang activity. Crimemapping is much more detailed than the Trulia reports.

That is much more useful information for people than providing broad "maps," stories about one time incidents, or your own memory of a place where you haven't lived for many years.

That way, people can form their own opinions about the neighborhoods, areas and cities they are considering based on current factual information from law enforcement. And, obviously, one person's definition of "safe" will differ from another person's.

I always suggest that people run a crime-mapping report about the area where they currently live FIRST for comparison purposes. Most people are pretty oblivious to what is happening in their own local area; even if they know a bit about crime in their area, their memories tend to get foggy. So, starting with a clear picture of recent crime in the area where they currently live first can help them make a better informed decision about other areas they are considering moving to.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-03-2017 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 11:59 AM

Crime is everywhere, no location is perfect.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Crime is everywhere, no location is perfect.
Exactly.

The flip side is also true though: plenty of people live in higher crime areas without ever being shot at by gang members.

And, heck, if you look at that map that Expat provided from the district attorney, you'd think that the entire city of San Diego is overrun with gangs, which simply isn't true.

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-03-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Exactly.

The flip side is also true though: plenty of people live in higher crime areas without ever being shot at by gang members.

And, heck, if you look at that map that Expat provided from the district attorney, you'd think that the entire city of San Diego is overrun with gangs, which simply isn't true.
This is true. It all boils down to the fact that ExpatCA is paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego