Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 02:00 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Trouble is, Carolochs would have said the same thing a year and a half a go. I'm sure the surfer who died of a staph infection after surfing off Point Loma would have too (Award-Winning Surfer Dies From Staph Infection - NBC 7 San Diego)

Sure, the chances are low, but they're not non-existent.

The sensible thing to do is to avoid swimming when you have open cuts or after a rain storm, and always take a shower to rinse off afterwards.
And staph is quite literally everywhere, not just in the ocean. Of course one should take extra care if one has open cuts or a compromised immune system, never swim after a storm when there's runoff, and realize that there are risks in *everything* you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
And staph is quite literally everywhere, not just in the ocean. Of course one should take extra care if one has open cuts or a compromised immune system, never swim after a storm when there's runoff, and realize that there are risks in *everything* you do.
Yep. Just common sense.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:27 AM

437 posts, read 436,073 times
A lot of reports, mine included, are suppressed or ignored en toto. I got no call-back after reporting to four agencies. As Rosie pointed out, it isn't until someone dies that any "stories" get any real attention. And sure....thousands upon thousands swim in *it* everyday with no *apparent* affects. I swam in *it* for years, an avid beach goer, swimmer, surfer, with no apparent effects. All it takes is that one time, and as said, the risk seems to be heightened by having even the tiniest skin opening like a shaving nick. So if that's ALL the warning you can derive out of my err eyeroll-worthy tale, than good, ignore me completely, no skin off my nose heh heh...but if you are actually ignorant enough to assume these are wild random stories by people "scared of their own shadow" (I believe you called it???) Um, hardly. People who assume that, are likely the same ones pooping in the water and thinking it makes no difference. I have way better, more productive things to do with my time than hang out on forums making up stories with no merit.... Uh...nuh!

If you're the type who pays attention to third page news stories reporting things like the hepatitis outbreak in San Diego that no one can seem to understand where it's coming from ...uh, DOH, gee, I wonder! The year before I had this incident happen, I came down with norovirus the evening of a day I spent walking on the beach barefoot, again at La Jolla Shores. Had no contact with other people (it's a highly contagious virus), I was just walking on the beach. I'm an individual who rarely gets sick, if ever. Thus far, the only times I seem to get sick in recent years is after walking/wading at the beach. At La Jolla Shores. Coincidence much?

For those who want to pretend these risks don't exist just because it hasn't happened to you yet, or anyone you know, well, good luck to ya! Carry on! And may you stay forever healthy!

For those wondering what risks you're actually taking...here are other *bugs* common at beaches, lakes, rivers as listed by the CDC. I don't think the CDC (Center for Disease Control) makes this stuff up or is scared of it's own shadow either. You'll notice common admonishments to not swim with open wounds, shower after exposure, keep your mouth shut when in water. You can keep your mouth shut when not in water, too.

Shigellosis. Caused by the Shigella bacteria, this illness can cause diarrhea (often bloody), fever and stomach cramps that usually come on a day or two after exposure. The disease is typically transmitted when sewage runs into the water or swimmers (typically toddlers who aren’t fully potty trained) introduce the bacteria. Shigellosis usually goes away after 5 to 7 days without antibiotic treatment and is only rarely serious. In rare cases, joint pain, eye irritation and painful urination can develop. Shigellosis can be prevented by careful hand washing (as well as supervising hand washing of small children), and avoiding swallowing water from untreated water areas.

Norovirus. This highly contagious virus is most common cause of acute gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and/or intestines that leads to nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. Like shigellosis, norovirus can be transmitted from sewage or infected swimmers. Since this is a viral infection, it is best to let it run it course, but drink plenty of fluids in order to prevent dehydration. Usually, people get better after 1 to 3 days. Showering before swimming to prevent germs from getting in the water and avoiding swimmming if you have a diarrheal illness can prevent Norovirus.

E. coli. Here’s one good reason to keep your mouth shut when you’re doing the backstroke at the lake: A strain of E. coli, known as Shiga toxin-producing E. coli or STEC. STEC, which can cause symptoms like diarrhea, urinary tract infections, respiratory illnesses and even pneumonia, can infect swimmers who swallow contaminated water. STEC infections are usually mild and can cause diarrhea. Prevent STEC infections by washing your hands before and after swimming and avoid swallowing water while you’re taking a dip.

Cryptosporidium. Most commonly known as Crypto, this parasitic illness is one of the top causes of RWIs and leads to diarrhea that can last 2 to 3 weeks. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, weight loss, stomach cramps, dehydration and fever. Pregnant women, young children and individuals with weakened immune systems are most likely to get infected. Even though Crypto can be found in lakes and rivers, you are more likely to find it in swimming pools.

Giardia. Giardiasis is caused by swallowing water from freshwater lakes, rivers and streams where the giardia parasite may live. Symptoms include diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea or upset stomach and dehydration. While there are prescription drugs to treat giardiasis, the best way to treat it is to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. The best way to prevent giardiasis is to shower before swimming to avoid introducing the bacteria into the water and wash your hands thoroughly. Also if you have small children, take them on frequent bathroom breaks and check their diapers often.

Cercarial Dermatitis. Also known as swimmer’s itch, cercarial dermatitis is an allergic reaction to microscopic parasites that infect birds and mammals. Symptoms include tingling, burning and itching on exposed skin with small reddish pimples and/or blisters. Most cases of swimmer’s itch do not require medical attention, and the itching will gradually go away. Anti-itch lotion, corticosteroid cream, Epsom salts baths and colloidal oatmeal baths can provide some relief. Avoid marshy areas where snails are common. Shower immediately after swimming to wash off parasites that have not yet penetrated the skin.

Leptospirosis. Caused by the bacteria Leptospira typically found in the urine of animals, leptospirosis can be a threat to people who frequent freshwater lakes and rivers. Symptoms can include high fever, jaundice, red eyes, headache, chills, diarrhea, vomiting, muscle aches and stomach pains, and rash. Leptospirosis symptoms can last up to three weeks or even longer. It can be treated with doxycycline or penicillin in the early stages of the disease, but intravenous antibiotics may be required for more serious cases. If left untreated, this illness can cause kidney damage, liver failure, meningitis, respiratory illnesses and even death. The best way to avoid leptospirosis is to avoid swimming after heavy rains, which can wash animal waste into the water.

Campylobacteriosis. With up to 1.3 million cases each year, “campy,” as it’s known, is one of the more common conditions swimmers in fresh-water lakes, ponds and rivers will encounter this year. Campylobacter bacteria are easily spread from birds and other animals that come into contact with water sources. People exposed to the bacteria have diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever and typically recover without treatment within a week. The best way to prevent campylobacteriosis is to not swallow contaminated water and to wash hands thoroughly.

Enterovirus. Enteroviruses top the list of diseases that plague summer swimmers. Most cases are mild, causing cold-like symptoms such as fever, runny nose, and cough and usually people don’t get sick. More serious cases can lead to paralysis and heart or brain infections, but these cases are very rare. Transmission occurs from swallowing contaminated water . Since there is no treatment for this viral illness, the best way to prevent it is to wash your hands often and avoiding those who are infected.

Naegleria. While naegleria is super-rare, it’s super-serious, so awareness is key. Merely swimming or diving in a warm freshwater lake or river is enough to expose you to this potentially deadly amoeba, which causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), similar to bacterial meningitis. Initial symptoms include headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, progressing to confusion, stiff neck, seizures and hallucinations. PAM can cause death within five days, and the fatality rate is over 99 percent. Because of this, people who are infected should seek medical attention as soon as possible. There are effective treatments for naegleria, but only if it’s caught early. The best way to prevent these infections is to avoid swimming in these waters altogether.

Yersenia. This bacteria can cause a variety of symptoms: diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain in children; right-sided abdominal pain often confused with appendicitis in adults. While infection is rare, swimmers could be exposed by swallowing water in rivers, lakes or streams or hand-to-mouth transmission. Most cases are resolved without treatment, but antibiotics can be used to treat more severe cases. The best way to avoid yersiniosis is to avoid contaminated water and to wash your hands with soap and water before eating.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:57 AM

This article actually lists some "stories", but of course, these all had extreme consequences, including death, so apparently that validates them as more believable... Most of these occurred after exposure to water after major rain events, which yes, you'd think they'd know better, news always posts warnings after such events. But again, I don't think people take it seriously enough, or *really believe* what the threat can be. By the same token, I don't think people take seriously enough that the threat exists in non post major rain events, that it can really happen via as little as a shaving nick.

"....there is an increased health risk when swimming within 400 yards of a flowing storm drain. In Southern California you will be hard pressed to find a stretch of surf that isn't near a storm drain. "

Health Threats from Polluted Coastal Waters - Beachapedia

But as was pointed out in http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...731-story.html most ocean pollution is from HUMAN WASTE.

“I was personally surprised at the extent of human waste that we’ve observed in our monitoring,” said Todd Snyder, manager of the watershed protection program for the county of San Diego. “The preliminary results that we’re seeing is that this human waste is everywhere — upstream in the watershed, downstream in the watershed, tributaries, the main stem of the San Diego River.”

And does anyone really believe Tijuana River spills stay south???

Last edited by carolochs; 08-26-2017 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 11:16 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
A lot of reports, mine included, are suppressed or ignored en toto. I got no call-back after reporting to four agencies. As Rosie pointed out, it isn't until someone dies that any "stories" get any real attention. And sure....thousands upon thousands swim in *it* everyday with no *apparent* affects. I swam in *it* for years, an avid beach goer, swimmer, surfer, with no apparent effects. All it takes is that one time, and as said, the risk seems to be heightened by having even the tiniest skin opening like a shaving nick. So if that's ALL the warning you can derive out of my err eyeroll-worthy tale, than good, ignore me completely, no skin off my nose heh heh...but if you are actually ignorant enough to assume these are wild random stories by people "scared of their own shadow" (I believe you called it???) Um, hardly. People who assume that, are likely the same ones pooping in the water and thinking it makes no difference. I have way better, more productive things to do with my time than hang out on forums making up stories with no merit.... Uh...nuh!

If you're the type who pays attention to third page news stories reporting things like the hepatitis outbreak in San Diego that no one can seem to understand where it's coming from ...uh, DOH, gee, I wonder! The year before I had this incident happen, I came down with norovirus the evening of a day I spent walking on the beach barefoot, again at La Jolla Shores. Had no contact with other people (it's a highly contagious virus), I was just walking on the beach. I'm an individual who rarely gets sick, if ever. Thus far, the only times I seem to get sick in recent years is after walking/wading at the beach. At La Jolla Shores. Coincidence much?

For those who want to pretend these risks don't exist just because it hasn't happened to you yet, or anyone you know, well, good luck to ya! Carry on! And may you stay forever healthy!

For those wondering what risks you're actually taking...here are other *bugs* common at beaches, lakes, rivers as listed by the CDC. I don't think the CDC (Center for Disease Control) makes this stuff up or is scared of it's own shadow either. You'll notice common admonishments to not swim with open wounds, shower after exposure, keep your mouth shut when in water. You can keep your mouth shut when not in water, too.

Shigellosis. Caused by the Shigella bacteria, this illness can cause diarrhea (often bloody), fever and stomach cramps that usually come on a day or two after exposure. The disease is typically transmitted when sewage runs into the water or swimmers (typically toddlers who aren’t fully potty trained) introduce the bacteria. Shigellosis usually goes away after 5 to 7 days without antibiotic treatment and is only rarely serious. In rare cases, joint pain, eye irritation and painful urination can develop. Shigellosis can be prevented by careful hand washing (as well as supervising hand washing of small children), and avoiding swallowing water from untreated water areas.

Norovirus. This highly contagious virus is most common cause of acute gastroenteritis, an inflammation of the stomach and/or intestines that leads to nausea, stomach pain, diarrhea and vomiting. Like shigellosis, norovirus can be transmitted from sewage or infected swimmers. Since this is a viral infection, it is best to let it run it course, but drink plenty of fluids in order to prevent dehydration. Usually, people get better after 1 to 3 days. Showering before swimming to prevent germs from getting in the water and avoiding swimmming if you have a diarrheal illness can prevent Norovirus.

E. coli. Here’s one good reason to keep your mouth shut when you’re doing the backstroke at the lake: A strain of E. coli, known as Shiga toxin-producing E. coli or STEC. STEC, which can cause symptoms like diarrhea, urinary tract infections, respiratory illnesses and even pneumonia, can infect swimmers who swallow contaminated water. STEC infections are usually mild and can cause diarrhea. Prevent STEC infections by washing your hands before and after swimming and avoid swallowing water while you’re taking a dip.

Cryptosporidium. Most commonly known as Crypto, this parasitic illness is one of the top causes of RWIs and leads to diarrhea that can last 2 to 3 weeks. Other symptoms include nausea, vomiting, weight loss, stomach cramps, dehydration and fever. Pregnant women, young children and individuals with weakened immune systems are most likely to get infected. Even though Crypto can be found in lakes and rivers, you are more likely to find it in swimming pools.

Giardia. Giardiasis is caused by swallowing water from freshwater lakes, rivers and streams where the giardia parasite may live. Symptoms include diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea or upset stomach and dehydration. While there are prescription drugs to treat giardiasis, the best way to treat it is to drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. The best way to prevent giardiasis is to shower before swimming to avoid introducing the bacteria into the water and wash your hands thoroughly. Also if you have small children, take them on frequent bathroom breaks and check their diapers often.

Cercarial Dermatitis. Also known as swimmer’s itch, cercarial dermatitis is an allergic reaction to microscopic parasites that infect birds and mammals. Symptoms include tingling, burning and itching on exposed skin with small reddish pimples and/or blisters. Most cases of swimmer’s itch do not require medical attention, and the itching will gradually go away. Anti-itch lotion, corticosteroid cream, Epsom salts baths and colloidal oatmeal baths can provide some relief. Avoid marshy areas where snails are common. Shower immediately after swimming to wash off parasites that have not yet penetrated the skin.

Leptospirosis. Caused by the bacteria Leptospira typically found in the urine of animals, leptospirosis can be a threat to people who frequent freshwater lakes and rivers. Symptoms can include high fever, jaundice, red eyes, headache, chills, diarrhea, vomiting, muscle aches and stomach pains, and rash. Leptospirosis symptoms can last up to three weeks or even longer. It can be treated with doxycycline or penicillin in the early stages of the disease, but intravenous antibiotics may be required for more serious cases. If left untreated, this illness can cause kidney damage, liver failure, meningitis, respiratory illnesses and even death. The best way to avoid leptospirosis is to avoid swimming after heavy rains, which can wash animal waste into the water.

Campylobacteriosis. With up to 1.3 million cases each year, “campy,” as it’s known, is one of the more common conditions swimmers in fresh-water lakes, ponds and rivers will encounter this year. Campylobacter bacteria are easily spread from birds and other animals that come into contact with water sources. People exposed to the bacteria have diarrhea, cramping, abdominal pain and fever and typically recover without treatment within a week. The best way to prevent campylobacteriosis is to not swallow contaminated water and to wash hands thoroughly.

Enterovirus. Enteroviruses top the list of diseases that plague summer swimmers. Most cases are mild, causing cold-like symptoms such as fever, runny nose, and cough and usually people don’t get sick. More serious cases can lead to paralysis and heart or brain infections, but these cases are very rare. Transmission occurs from swallowing contaminated water . Since there is no treatment for this viral illness, the best way to prevent it is to wash your hands often and avoiding those who are infected.

Naegleria. While naegleria is super-rare, it’s super-serious, so awareness is key. Merely swimming or diving in a warm freshwater lake or river is enough to expose you to this potentially deadly amoeba, which causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), similar to bacterial meningitis. Initial symptoms include headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, progressing to confusion, stiff neck, seizures and hallucinations. PAM can cause death within five days, and the fatality rate is over 99 percent. Because of this, people who are infected should seek medical attention as soon as possible. There are effective treatments for naegleria, but only if it’s caught early. The best way to prevent these infections is to avoid swimming in these waters altogether.

Yersenia. This bacteria can cause a variety of symptoms: diarrhea, fever and abdominal pain in children; right-sided abdominal pain often confused with appendicitis in adults. While infection is rare, swimmers could be exposed by swallowing water in rivers, lakes or streams or hand-to-mouth transmission. Most cases are resolved without treatment, but antibiotics can be used to treat more severe cases. The best way to avoid yersiniosis is to avoid contaminated water and to wash your hands with soap and water before eating.
Sigh. I lived with a nonexistent immune system for almost a year while doing chemo and lived in constant terror of infection. I'm very, very well aware of what lurks in our environment and how dangerous it can be. My point was more that these things lurk EVERYWHERE, so while caution and awareness are good, one can't simply stop touching things or breathing out of fear of infection. I'm sorry for your experience, I really am, but I am not going to stop swimming in the ocean entirely because you got sick- I'm aware of what's out there and it's a risk I'm willing to take with reasonable precautions. I'm sorry you feel like this means folks aren't listening to you.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:19 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I don't live in SD (I'm 1.5 - 2 hrs away), but I'm one of those (maybe rare) people who doesn't care for the beach itself, YET I like the beachy environment, decor, shells, eating seafood, etc. & living by the beach may not be my dream goal or priority, but I wouldn't mind it. Plus I don't swim, whether it's the beach or the pool. ALSO, the whole thing about the sea air & breathing the negative ions, which is beneficial is great.

But yeah as far as actually going to the beach, sitting on the sand, laying out there, and/or getting in the water, eh no thanks. I don't care to just be out in the sun any more than I have to. I like being in the shade.
I'm ONLY out in the sun when walking to/from my car into a store or whatever other places I'm going to. I go to the beach maybe once a year, if that & after 30-60 minutes, I'm ready to leave! It's hot, sticky, boring after too long, & almost miserable at the beach.

My fiance' on the other hand can be out at the beach all day long. He loves it.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:31 AM

I didn't die or suffer amputation from my exposure, obviously, but laying around for a month waiting for twice-my-normal-leg-size swelling to subside and even be able to walk on my leg again was a real attitude-changer for me. Some people might look at that as a nice rest, chance to not have to work, catch-up on my reading and online gaming. Me? It totally screwed my production schedule for my home-based business, set me back a month, I lost business because of the delays my not being able to work on my feet caused. Husband had to do most the stuff I normally do around the house in-between his own very business demands. Although by Week #2, I was so frustrated laying around, I'd haul myself around on my hands & knees, or in an office chair on wheels with a broom-push-pole to try to get some chores/cooking/laundry done, until the throbbing in my leg from not keeping it elevated got too painful.

And it all started with just a lovely walk at the beach one Sunday morning, my much-loved respite to get away from work for a morning. So I personally measure the inconvenience of all THAT (above) against......Hmm....will I go in the ocean again? For me, as much as I love the ocean, it's no longer worth the risk, if for no other reason than how it affects those around me, family/customers when I'm laid up for a month.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Sigh. I lived with a nonexistent immune system for almost a year while doing chemo and lived in constant terror of infection. I'm very, very well aware of what lurks in our environment and how dangerous it can be. My point was more that these things lurk EVERYWHERE, so while caution and awareness are good, one can't simply stop touching things or breathing out of fear of infection. I'm sorry for your experience, I really am, but I am not going to stop swimming in the ocean entirely because you got sick- I'm aware of what's out there and it's a risk I'm willing to take with reasonable precautions. I'm sorry you feel like this means folks aren't listening to you.
Jenkay...I'm sorry for your immune/chemo experiences, I'm sure that was difficult to go through, and kudos to you for coming out the other side. I worked for 14 years as a surgical nurse and so am hyper aware, probably more than the average bear, of germs everywhere in the environment. I honestly do not care whether you or anyone go into the ocean again. It's neither here nor there to me what you choose to do. What's scary to me, and the point of my posts, is people who poo-poo (pardon the pun) that these incidences are actually happening and try to blow them off as people merely acting like alarmists. Just because it hasn't happened to you......

Last edited by carolochs; 08-26-2017 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-26-2017, 12:50 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
If anyone is interested, concerned, or curious, the San Diego Chapter of CoastKeeper is a good resource. They monitor water quality in the County and also provide updates on alerts from the County.

You'll want to look at two things -- watershed quality and beach quality. Watersheds feed into the open ocean, and if you read the article I posted earlier, it's suspected that a lot of the issues along beaches stem from the watersheds. I see A LOT of children wading in watershed outlets at ocean beaches, so if you let your kids do this, it's a good idea to check up on the quality. It's also probably a good idea to avoid swimming near watershed outlets that have issues.

You can check the watershed quality reports here:

San Diego Watersheds - San Diego Coastkeeper

There are some beaches that have pipes that drop water onto the beach. While these are problematic after rains, some drop water all the time. I'm wondering, for instance, where the water that drops by Scripps Pier originates? I don't know, but it is something to be aware of.

Coastkeeper also has a page where you can check water quality alerts at various public beaches (ocean and bay) in the County:

San Diego County Beach Status - San Diego Coastkeeper

The County also has an app that you can download to double check on things before heading out to the beach. You can find that here.

County of San Diego Beach Water Quality

Keep in mind that the County Health Department says water quality has been improving, not getting worse. So, I agree that no one should panic about this; just become an informed consumer and, as I said above, use common sense about not swimming in polluted water sheds near beaches , monitoring water quality, not swimming with open wounds, swimming after rains, and showering.

Last edited by RosieSD; 08-26-2017 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 PM

Wise to remember that it's not just about the water. The day I got norovirus, I had just walked on the sand, high on the beach, didn't touch water at all. But that doesn't mean the water hadn't touched the sand earlier in high tide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego