Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times

Advertisements

Tijuana's sewage situation has never been worse.

Border Patrol agents said Tijuana sewage problem worse now than in previous decades - The San Diego Union-Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 PM

437 posts, read 435,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Keep in mind that the County Health Department says water quality has been improving, not getting worse. So, I agree that no one should panic about this; just become an informed consumer and, as I said above, use common sense about not swimming in polluted water sheds near beaches , monitoring water quality, not swimming with open wounds, swimming after rains, and showering.
Highly suspicious of in-red. Everything I read is to the contrary.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:49 PM

675 posts, read 645,049 times
1. Area of the county where you live

Hillcrest

2. On average, how often do you actually spend time on the beach (ocean only please and I am not talking about driving by in a car or on your bike, but actually being on the sand:

Once in a blue moon

3. When/if you go to the beach, what type of activities do you generally do there?

I think last time I went to a beach, I just walked, and it was with my mother, who loves beaches. She's been here since 1972 or so, and she is still in tourist mentality. SD is "aoooooo gorgeous". "Ocean or bust". Melts over a pretty sunset.

4. During the time you've lived in San Diego County, have your beach-going habits changed or remained the same?

I moved away in 1991, at age 15. Before that, I used to go a fair amount, via day camps, etc. Since then, barely. At. All.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:11 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvHighDesert View Post
Just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it can't nor does it mean it won't.
Of course - - but we're also talking about the hundreds of thousands of other people who go into the water in Southern California each year. You can swim in rivers in the United States and get brain-eating amoebas.

Brain-eating amoeba kills woman after a swim in Colorado River - ABC15 Arizona

You can get hit by a baseball in the chest and die from it.

Boy Struck in Chest With Baseball Dies - ABC News

I'm not going to stop my children from swimming or playing baseball, though.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 PM

I can't speak for anyone else who commented, but the purpose of *my* posts were not to create some mass hysteria or sudden total avoidance of the ocean, amoebas, or baseballs as you seem to be suggesting...heh heh. Um..duh? My only point is that there can be some truth to the warnings that going into the ocean with any kind of open wound can put you at greater risk. Even teensy tinesy cuts. I never personally used to believe that. In fact I used to think that saltwater was so healing that I would deliberately go in with cuts specifically TO help heal them. I personally no longer believe that, due to my leg infection incident. Just sharing an incident, Good People, just sharing an incident.

Most people, you'd think, would kind of appreciate the heads-up that this is possible. Not read into it or dub it scare-mongering designed to keep all people out of the ocean....haha....but read into it what you will.
(Jeez)
God forbid you or anyone you know catch ocean bugs, but if you do, I highly recommend that rather than standing around lamenting "It couldn't POSSIBLY be from the ocean!"...err...get your or their hiney to medical attention. If it's the same bugs I got (and many others, I'm hardly alone in this), you too, may need three different antibiotics to finally start healing.

Last edited by carolochs; 08-30-2017 at 10:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 10:39 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Did you read of this loosely related case. It seems everything in Australia tries to kill you, they say.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/07/w...k.html?mcubz=0

Old 08-31-2017, 09:23 AM

I did see that story circulating on the 'net. Poor kid. Hard to write-off those bloody legs as just in that kid's imagination, or some isolated random incident. No doubt it hasn't kept Aussies out of the water either. Like so many things, people don't believe it or take it the least bit seriously until it happens to them. And good luck with that.

Some of the warnings that have been written about will *suddenly* ring a bell if it does happen to them...... Hope it doesn't, but I seriously doubt these incidences are as random or mis-attributed as most want to believe. Cuz, who wants their day-at-the-beach messed up, right?

Old 09-01-2017, 10:00 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
I can't speak for anyone else who commented, but the purpose of *my* posts were not to create some mass hysteria or sudden total avoidance of the ocean, amoebas, or baseballs as you seem to be suggesting...heh heh. Um..duh? My only point is that there can be some truth to the warnings that going into the ocean with any kind of open wound can put you at greater risk. Even teensy tinesy cuts. I never personally used to believe that. In fact I used to think that saltwater was so healing that I would deliberately go in with cuts specifically TO help heal them. I personally no longer believe that, due to my leg infection incident. Just sharing an incident, Good People, just sharing an incident.

Most people, you'd think, would kind of appreciate the heads-up that this is possible. Not read into it or dub it scare-mongering designed to keep all people out of the ocean....haha....but read into it what you will.
(Jeez)
God forbid you or anyone you know catch ocean bugs, but if you do, I highly recommend that rather than standing around lamenting "It couldn't POSSIBLY be from the ocean!"...err...get your or their hiney to medical attention. If it's the same bugs I got (and many others, I'm hardly alone in this), you too, may need three different antibiotics to finally start healing.
Right. And people keep saying "yes, I understand that happened, but I'm going to look at the odds and continue to go to the beach". There is risk everywhere, every day. That is as much a fact as your experience, and we all play the odds when we do anything outside the confines of our safe homes. The odds aren't huge that one is going to pick up an infection at the beach unless one is immune compromised or all the other risk factors mentioned before (I just had surgery and my stitches aren't 100% healed, so I'm staying out of the water until they are), so folks saying "sorry for your experience, I'm still going to the beach" is perfectly reasonable and rational- not some attack on your experience. I'm sorry you insist on seeing it as such, and I hope you find peace with it someday.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm sorry you insist on seeing it as such, and I hope you find peace with it someday.
Jenkay---stop mischaracterizing my posts. I do not insist on seeing it as such and am not lacking peace. It's unfortunate that you can't hear another person's experience without putting them down for it. You offer nothing constructive by doing so.

Old 09-01-2017, 01:33 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Right. And people keep saying "yes, I understand that happened, but I'm going to look at the odds and continue to go to the beach". There is risk everywhere, every day. That is as much a fact as your experience, and we all play the odds when we do anything outside the confines of our safe homes. The odds aren't huge that one is going to pick up an infection at the beach unless one is immune compromised or all the other risk factors mentioned before (I just had surgery and my stitches aren't 100% healed, so I'm staying out of the water until they are), so folks saying "sorry for your experience, I'm still going to the beach" is perfectly reasonable and rational- not some attack on your experience. I'm sorry you insist on seeing it as such, and I hope you find peace with it someday.
It is like the shark attack issue. OK I grew up on the beaches in SoCal and never had a problem. When you actually see the number and circumstances, you are more likely to get hurt or killed driving to the beach than being bitten by a shark. Be aware of the potential problems is important and using common sense.

Common sense is not so common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego