Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 10:41 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Ah, that's a shame!
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...s-farm-closes/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 11:16 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Mugsy, as you know doubt already know, to some people, Nestor is a mythical land, caught between twixt and twain. I notice that it, and Otay Mesa, gets left off many lists! Maybe that is a good thing in some ways.

I've always liked Nestor though -- where else in San Diego can you ride a horse along the ocean or pick your own lettuce at Suzie's?

Question: are all of the changes in IB starting to spill over into Nestor? I was wondering about that the other day when I saw the new homes being built along Coronado Ave.
In the past 13 years in zip 92154 I am seeing more homeless migrating from downtown San Diego, neighborhood demographics are shifting a little as far as race ( I am noticing more African Americans here down South) I have never visited Suzies, but I remember the strawberry field, which is now a vacant dirt lot.
(Corner of 4th and Main St)

Cannot beat the climate here. I have lived in IB, OB, PB (great weather but parking is bad and the people are rowdy) and Normal Heights and Hillcrest where it can get hot in the concrete jungle!

I live one mile west of the 805 off of Palm Avenue. I moved here from Lincoln Acres in 2004.

It is mostly Hispanics, with military as well as lots of older retired military.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:50 PM

17 posts, read 22,304 times
Alright just a little update over here.

Taking in consideration the commuting time(thanks RosieSD for the heads up) we thought that would be good to look for places closer to the COASTER. With this I could commute to the Sorrento Valley Station and probably walk/bike/skateboard to my office(3550 General Atomics Court).

The neighborhoods candidates are:
- Little Italy (Santa Fe Station)
- Solana Beach (Solana Beach Station)
- Encinitas (Encinitas Station)

We are also considering La Jolla Shores area, but it looks a bit over the budget. We will probably stay under $1700.

Kind of disappointing to drop University Heights and Hillcrest from the options but I saw that during the rush time it can take more than a hour, I pass.

Thoughts ? Inputs ? Ideas ? Concerns ?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2017, 08:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecollepicolo View Post
Alright just a little update over here.

Taking in consideration the commuting time(thanks RosieSD for the heads up) we thought that would be good to look for places closer to the COASTER. With this I could commute to the Sorrento Valley Station and probably walk/bike/skateboard to my office(3550 General Atomics Court).

The neighborhoods candidates are:
- Little Italy (Santa Fe Station)
- Solana Beach (Solana Beach Station)
- Encinitas (Encinitas Station)

We are also considering La Jolla Shores area, but it looks a bit over the budget. We will probably stay under $1700.

Kind of disappointing to drop University Heights and Hillcrest from the options but I saw that during the rush time it can take more than a hour, I pass.

Thoughts ? Inputs ? Ideas ? Concerns ?

Thanks
All of those would be nice options for a couple.

How big of a place do you need? It may be a bit of a challenge finding a larger sized apartment in any of those three areas for under $1700 that is also within walking distance to the Coaster. So, you will probably be compromising on that (size) if you need space.

If La Jolla Shores is too pricey, perhaps check out the area around La Jolla Village Square near UCSD (http://ljvillagesquare.com/index.html). That would be an easy commute -- you wouldn't even need to get on the freeway. You could probably bike to work if you were so inclined.

But, the three you mention are all great options as well.

May I suggest that you not drop anything off your list just yet until you've had a chance to check them out n person and perhaps do a few test drives during rush hour (and take the Coaster as well)?

You're on the right path though.

I've only briefly seen the Blackstone area while visiting Brown, and it's not a perfect analogy, but my hunch that is you may find that Encinitas west of the 5 (where the coaster station is) probably comes closest to having the same sort of upscale feel (without historic colonial homes, of course).

On the other hand, Little Italy has a lot of character too, and might feel more "back East" familiar to you in some ways. It's gotten more touristy, but it's still the place I go when I want to buy "real" Italian bread like the kind I ate growing up in the NYC area.

But, you might fall in love with any one of a number of areas here that's nothing like Blackstone, so that's why I'm suggesting you not rule anything in or out until you have a chance to see for yourself.

It will be really interesting to hear your reactions to different areas here after you have a chance to explore.

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-18-2017 at 08:57 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 05:55 AM

Again, thanks RosieSD for the prompt reply.

We will be looking for something bigger than 680ft, bright, laundry on site, no carpet and with a parking facility if the street can't accommodate easily one car. From my quick research it will be a challenge. I plan to stay in SD for at least 5 years, so there is also the possibility to consider buying a place, if it is the right moment and if it is under 400k.

La Jolla Village Square looks a bit less walkable compared to the other places but I'll probably look there as well.

Yeah, they seem good options. I was just wondering to have more options close to downtown. If the train would pass over other neighborhoods would be perfect.

Well, I'm very lean to abandon those two, even if I test myself once or more times it won't beat the Google estimation. My personal experience should not be more accurate than a collection of experiences. For me, to have a health relation with my work my total of commuting by car should not be over than 1 hour day.
And yes, testing the Coaster during rush hours will probably be the first thing that I will do when I ground in SD.

If I'm on the right path it is only because of you, thank you so much.

Awesome that you have an idea of how it is here. We have a lot of trees, places to walk with some amenities and quite(I can listen birds every day). It's a cozy place.

I see what you mean. Thanks for sharing.

I'll keep you posted about our progress.

All the best

Old 07-19-2017, 07:55 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
About the Coaster, be sure to verify that GA runs a shuttle either from the coaster station or between their Dunhill building at the base of the hill, and their facility up on GA Court. Without transport, it's a mighty steep hill, with the hard uphill part having to be done in the morning.

I concur with all of the neighborhoods Rosie suggested, but in your circumstances would give a double vote to Little Italy. It's an urban, walkable neighorbood, doesn't have the homeless issue to the degree East Village does, and it's right by the coaster and other transit options.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
About the Coaster, be sure to verify that GA runs a shuttle either from the coaster station or between their Dunhill building at the base of the hill, and their facility up on GA Court. Without transport, it's a mighty steep hill, with the hard uphill part having to be done in the morning.

I concur with all of the neighborhoods Rosie suggested, but in your circumstances would give a double vote to Little Italy. It's an urban, walkable neighorbood, doesn't have the homeless issue to the degree East Village does, and it's right by the coaster and other transit options.
Excellent point, Kettlepot. It would be nearly impossible to skateboard up that hill although going down would be a breeze!

I agree that Little Italy would be a really good location. Lots of restaurants, a great farmer's market on the weekends, lots of events going on, walkable to Balboa Park (well, another uphill climb), and easy access to other parts of downtown. Possible downsides to be aware of: there will still be some homeless people in the area, some parts of Little Italy are directly under the flight path for the airport, and some might argue it's gotten a little touristy. Also, it would be critical to have an apartment with parking there. But, it is a great area. I'm a little biased though, as my son in law first lived in Little Italy when he moved here, and he loved it. By the way, he worked in La Jolla and commuted by car.

Here's a site that will give you more information about what Little Italy is all about (check out the videos) :

Little Italy Association of San Diego

And this is kind of a neat little video tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CMDrZ33gLc

But, I am not trying to sell you on Little Italy. I think all will become clearer when you have the chance to see different areas in person and see what the commute is really going to be like from them (I find Google estimates to be a tad unreliable). The really nice thing about San Diego is that there is truly a place for every lifestyle here, and I am sure you'll find the right place!

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-19-2017 at 10:59 PM..

Old 07-20-2017, 12:04 PM

I see what you mean. It's the double of the time in the morning:

- Going:

- Returning:

24 min walking looks doable, but a long walk. Better than inside a car I think. Thoughts?

I'm willing to get something in Little Italy, the downside would be this thing of not having parking. We would end up needing at least one parking slot.

Thanks for all the very welcome inputs.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:45 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Electric assist bikes don't cost that much anymore.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:52 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Electric assist bikes don't cost that much anymore.
Excellent point. And there are now electric assist skateboards too! I've seen one, but kind of expensive, like $1500 or something. It's the compact batteries that are costly. But easier to tote around than a bicycle.

Most of Little Italy's newer buildings should have at least one parking spot per unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego