Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I just have a lot more job opportunity there. Carpentry is better and busier. Fabrication shops are busier. There's the ship yards. (I'm a certified welder) even lyft does better there.
Well this is a good skillset and you sound like a capable self-starter. I think you could make anything work for yourself, even the junkiest dump. You could fix quite a bit and probably add a lot of value to any place.

The issue is the family. Kids complicate everything (it's why we never reproduced). If you're not homeschooling, pay close attention to the particular schools your children will be attending. There are very good schools in San Diego county. There also are poor one. You need to avoid the latter.

Prior advice is excellent. Drive out and stay for several days. During the week, should be around a five hour drive from Vegas to San Diego (I've done it in a lot less by myself, most people are doing 90+ mph on the 15). Avoid driving during the weekend, the Friday and Sunday drive can lead to hours of traffic, and if there is a bad accident, it could double the time (absolutely is possible for the trip to take 10 hours if a bad wreck needs to be cleared).

Seems to me a welder position would be excellent. Aren't they in high demand in shale oil country? Pipeline work, I would imagine, pays a lot. If it were me, I'd be taking a hard look at that before jumping to Southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
If you plan on living in any of the neighborhoods in the above listings & you are concerned about your children's education & overall wellbeing, plan on private school, homeschool, or a charter school.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:51 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
I found something affordable almost walking distance from water. Maybe a 5 minute drive to the actual ocean. Talking to a realtor now.
Good luck and let us know where you end up!

Old 07-09-2017, 09:04 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

Seems to me a welder position would be excellent. Aren't they in high demand in shale oil country? Pipeline work, I would imagine, pays a lot. If it were me, I'd be taking a hard look at that before jumping to Southern California.
Welders work at the shipyards also.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
If you plan on living in any of the neighborhoods in the above listings & you are concerned about your children's education & overall wellbeing, plan on private school, homeschool, or a charter school.
Correct!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:24 AM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

I could make well into the 6 figures in the oil fields but I can not and will not deal with the cold. I can not stand the cold. That is why I moved to Vegas in the first place. Cold is unbearable no matter how much the pay is.

I was just in San Diego this week. I stayed in LaJolla as in that's where my hotel was. But I drove all around. I would definitely spend more time there before dropping 200-300k on a house there. The wife even liked it there and she hates everything.

Also, I did go to the strip and decide to move to Vegas. lol It's been a good 4 years but I'm not fond of how things work here. I can make a good living but I hate the connected hustle that goes on. No one cares about merit. It's all about who you know and who you bribe. That and there's not a lot of construction going on or even planned. Meanwhile socal is exploding.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:42 PM

160 posts, read 155,547 times
I think you would be very mid pack with your income. It sounds like you have a good trade and are willing to do side jobs like lyft, which is very popular here. The housing is the real difference, and if you have that figured out, you should be fine. There are adjustments compared to other places like gas, electricity, taxes....but negligible.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
Talked to a loan officer. Said 280-300k is within my budget. I definitely don't expect to be high end there. I don't have a clue how to make 200+ a year. But I don't really care about flash. I just want steady work and good weather.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:07 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Las Vegas isn't as expensive NOW, but I feel like it will be within the next few years. Or at least close enough to make me want to leave. People are already paying 1500-2000 a month for rent. Houses in my area are renting for 1800 a month. If it gets to the point that I have to pay 2,000 a month, I am gone.
Vegas is feast or famine. I'm a bit tired of it. I believe San Diego is more stable and I have more opportunity to make more money.
You will make more money here, but like US default said "the extra money you make will be ate up though additional living Expenses".
I say you should move you and your famliy to San Diego, but you will need to get use to living in a Condo, or renting because there are deals to be had here.
Cheap Houses You Flip In San Diego???
That ship sailed in and around 2011

Old 07-11-2017, 02:32 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Quote:
I'm not spilling the beans on the houses. I found em, I intend to buy one. After I buy one I'll tell you.

Nevada ranks 44th in schools out of 50. All but 6 states are a step up from here. Safety is my only real concern. Both of my kids are smarter than all the other kids (not even joking. Their schools have had to create new programs and accommodate them in various ways)
I feel perfectly safe in NV. But I know California can be rough. I am definitely looking at crime maps around the areas I found houses.
A couple things to consider. If you find a house under $200,000 will you be able to buy it. Unless you have a substantial down payment it may not be financeable.

Borrego Springs is in San Diego County but it would be a way long commute because there won't be much work down there. It is also the desert, just like Las Vegas.

There are manufactured homes under $200,000 but typically come with a very high land lease ($800-1,000/ month)

You may be looking at old information online because if you think that you know about something the flippers don't, well your probably wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego