Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 11:34 PM
EA EA started this thread

6,791 posts, read 7,111,747 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to San Diego. I'm a union carpenter so I have jobs lined up. I also drive for Lyft/Uber. I also do automotive fabrication out of my garage. Between construction and Lyft I do a minimum of 75k. Is that enough to live ok over there? I don't expect to get into a nice house or anything like that, but a lower end house with an attached garage in an ok neighborhood. I don't drink, go out, party, or anything like that.

I am going with my bottom pay just because I like to live below my means as much as I can. Full time a union carpenter does 100k.
A full time lyft driver can pull 80k.

I don't know about the fabrication side over there, if it's like here, another 20-30k in side money.
But I'd prefer to live like I make 75k. 75k puts me at about 300k for a house. I've seen some there for that. I prefer fixer uppers (I am a carpenter) I can fix anything inside and out.

I'm just kind of tired of Vegas. Everything is a hustle here. it's hectic and hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 12:02 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I am considering a move to San Diego. I'm a union carpenter so I have jobs lined up. I also drive for Lyft/Uber. I also do automotive fabrication out of my garage. Between construction and Lyft I do a minimum of 75k. Is that enough to live ok over there? I don't expect to get into a nice house or anything like that, but a lower end house with an attached garage in an ok neighborhood. I don't drink, go out, party, or anything like that.

75k puts me at about 300k for a house. I've seen some there for that. I prefer fixer uppers (I am a carpenter) I can fix anything inside and out.

I'm just kind of tired of Vegas. Everything is a hustle here. it's hectic and hot.
Do you have a family to support, or is it just you? If it's just you, you should be OK on $75K. That assumes you are not a crazy spender, don't have major debts or child support to pay, and are OK with perhaps living a little inland.

I am not quite sure where you are finding single family homes in "OK neighborhoods" in San Diego for $300K though.

The median price for a single family home here just topped $600K for the first time (see: Median home price in San Diego County reaches $600K | fox5sandiego.com)

So, any single family homes that you come across for $300K or less in San Diego County are likely to have other issues in addition to being fixer uppers, such as being in an unsafe area or requiring a very long drive to work and social life or going at auction to investors who can pay cash.

Perhaps share some of the areas where you've seen single family homes that have sold for $300K below and we can tell you about those areas

If you're willing to consider condos/townhomes, you should be able find a 1-bedroom in that price range in a decent area, especially if you are OK with inland areas.

You may also want to take a look at the Temecula-Murietta-Corona areas in Riverside County, just north of SD County. Home prices are a little less expensive there (but getting more expensive every day).

Good luck with your move!

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-09-2017 at 12:29 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 12:24 AM

I have a wife and 2 kids. I ALWAYS live well below the median. I don't care about buying things for show like a lot of people. I couldn't care less what my house looks like on the outside. I'll take things others wouldn't and be happy with it. I've found quite a few properties for under 150k. I found some for 200k as well. One I really like is 270. I'm not so much concerned with housing as I am with everything else. I went there earlier this week and everything cost more than it does here. There's taxes on everything. So how are the electricity bills and other utilities? Things of that nature are what I am concerned with.
I'm assuming 1500-2,000~ a month rent/mortgage

Old 07-09-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
I have a wife and 2 kids. I ALWAYS live well below the median. I don't care about buying things for show like a lot of people. I couldn't care less what my house looks like on the outside. I'll take things others wouldn't and be happy with it. I've found quite a few properties for under 150k. I found some for 200k as well. One I really like is 270.
I'm assuming 1500-2,000~ a month rent/mortgage
Kids change the equation for most parents. They start to care about things like school quality and neighborhood safety.

If you don't mind sharing, what general areas of San Diego are you finding single family homes listed under $200K?

In terms of utilities and other expenses, this site will give you an overview: https://smartasset.com/mortgage/the-...g-in-san-diego

Bankrate.com also has a cost of living calculator where you can plug in Las Vegas and San Diego and get an apples to apples comparison of COL.

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Good luck with your househunt!

Last edited by RosieSD; 07-09-2017 at 12:54 AM..

Old 07-09-2017, 12:45 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Yes, there are taxes and fees on just about everything. state taxes are high, compared to no state taxes in Nevada. Gas here is always higher than rest of country.San Diego Gas and Electric is one of the highest providers, and only the coast has moderate temps, inland areas get very hot in the summer.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:48 AM

I'm not spilling the beans on the houses. I found em, I intend to buy one. After I buy one I'll tell you.

Nevada ranks 44th in schools out of 50. All but 6 states are a step up from here. Safety is my only real concern. Both of my kids are smarter than all the other kids (not even joking. Their schools have had to create new programs and accommodate them in various ways)
I feel perfectly safe in NV. But I know California can be rough. I am definitely looking at crime maps around the areas I found houses.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Yes, there are taxes and fees on just about everything. state taxes are high, compared to no state taxes in Nevada. Gas here is always higher than rest of country.San Diego Gas and Electric is one of the highest providers, and only the coast has moderate temps, inland areas get very hot in the summer.

Las Vegas is quickly becoming more expensive. Once the Raiders stadium is up I think it's going to cost almost as much to live here as San Diego. Hence the move. The state taxes will suck but I do get paid 2 more an hour as a carpenter in socal. That'd put me about even after tax. Gas was about 20 cents a gallon more there than here.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not spilling the beans on the houses. I found em, After I buy one I'll tell you.

Safety is my only real concern.
Well, great, it sounds like your mind is made up and you are ready to put an offer in on an house.

In addition to the links I gave above which will help you compare cost of living, here is a site where you can estimate your California income taxes: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/online/Tax_Calculator/

California here you come! Good luck with the move.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:00 AM

I wouldn't say made up. There are many variables, but I am still not posting information for potential investors to jump on if they're not already aware. House flippers/investors really anger me.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't say made up. There are many variables, but I am still not posting information for potential investors to jump on if they're not already aware. House flippers/investors really anger me.
Is there anything else we can help you with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego