Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:25 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Thanks all... we are still deciding what to do with the old place... my wife wants to keep it, I want to sell, but could go either way. It's being painted and some repairs done right now so I am running out of time to make a decision, lol.

New house was built in 1969 with a major remodel that occurred in the early 2000's. The biggest things we saw were unrenovated homes, or houses that had been used as rentals and were just thrashed. The major problem with our home is it has an original roof and some decking that is rotten and needs to be ripped and replaced (about 20k job), as well as a few odds and ends (some windows and some appliances need to be replaced). Overall it's in good shape, certainly compared to what we saw in our price range.

Hitman my preference was to move out of City of SD at all costs but given are kids attend an SDUSD school we wanted to be close so that ultimately won out.
I'm curious why folks selling now aren't fixing up a little and putting on the market- why not put 5-10K in a home over a month and double it?

You are probably in great shape to sell now- given the inventory out there. I have a friend just like your situation ACTIVELY TRYING to spend money and getting in multiple offer situations at the tail end of sales. The little that is out there is going quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 01:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
If your rent cashflow on the old place is breakeven or close, I'm with your wife. Keep it. You're in a good area with lots of long-term potential. However, being a landlord ain't easy but it does give you lots of tax writeoffs. We kept an old home as a rental for over 30 years. We're glad we did.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:40 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Congratulations.

If I was closer to you I'd smash a bottle of champagne over your doorstep to christen your house. Although I think a handshake would be more appropriate.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:00 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Bought a house in San Carlos right near my kids school. Moved in over the weekend... wasn't cheap and needs work but it's like night and day compared to the old house. A lot more space, quiet, low traffic and plenty of kids in the area.

It wasn't perfect but we came to realize nothing is even close.
Congrats man, that's a nice area.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:29 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I'm curious why folks selling now aren't fixing up a little and putting on the market- why not put 5-10K in a home over a month and double it?

You are probably in great shape to sell now- given the inventory out there. I have a friend just like your situation ACTIVELY TRYING to spend money and getting in multiple offer situations at the tail end of sales. The little that is out there is going quickly.
Ultimately it's a question of take the cash now or 3x in the next 10 years. If you don't need the cash, it doesn't do you any good sitting in a bank account making .25%

Old 07-10-2017, 06:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Quote:
Ultimately it's a question of take the cash now or 3x in the next 10 years. If you don't need the cash, it doesn't do you any good sitting in a bank account making .25%

I am a reluctant landlord. I never meant to get into real estate as an investment but circumstances presented themselves. Being a landlord is not the greatest thing in the world and at times is a downright pain in the backside. Don't get me wrong, we've done well and the tax breaks have been considerable.

One thing that is a challenge is the fact that if we sold the rental any appreciation proceeds would taxed as capital gains, somewhere in the vicinity of 22-24% (including CA's taste), whereas a primary residence qualifies for the exemption. I think you have a period of a few years to get the exemption. I'm not sure if I articulated that well...but I guess it is a good problem to have.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:24 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
Hosewarming Party at Sassberto's place!!!!!! seriously, congratulations
Dave

Old 07-10-2017, 07:19 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Congratulations Sassberto!

I'm sorry we're not living as close to each other as we used too, but I hear San Carlos has good potential. Realtors/Flippers have been sniffing around that area for about a decade, waiting for the original owners to "move on" and then repairing and upgrading the original homes for a newer market. I think you will do well.

As for the old place, maybe it would be worth your while to hire a management company.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Congrats Sassberto!

+1 on renting the previous house if you can swing it.
+1 on using a rental management company, if they are experienced and reasonable. 10% of rent is the a realistic expense, correct?

Old 07-10-2017, 10:56 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I am a reluctant landlord. I never meant to get into real estate as an investment but circumstances presented themselves. Being a landlord is not the greatest thing in the world and at times is a downright pain in the backside. Don't get me wrong, we've done well and the tax breaks have been considerable..
I'm definitely reluctant.. but I have an exceptional ability to tolerate pains in the backside when there is $$$ on the other end
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego