Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:37 PM

181 posts, read 889,859 times

Advertisements

My husband liked one called mandarine city....I think it was...in encinitas. I thought they were a little pricey though for chinese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 01:09 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I'm in North County and the suggestions I got from locals have been chains (Pei-Wei - simply AWFUL and Pickup Stix). I've heard Chins is fairly decent but haven't tried it yet. There are several locations in N County.

Chin's Szechwan Cuisine - Welcome

I forgot that one place I have liked is in Clairemont Mesa - Panda Country.
I've driven by Panda Country many times, and since you like it, I'll have to give it a try. I've been to Chin's and I thought it was pretty good. There's a Muslim Chinese (Malaysian?) restaurant in the same strip mall that is suppose to be pretty good.

I looked up Pei Wei (there's one in Mission Valley) and saw that it's the little brother of PF Changs, so I kinda know what to expect. I shouldn't have been so harsh on PF and Pick Up Stix in my earlier post, it's just that it's so overpriced and Americanized.

Lastly, my nomination for best name for a Vietnamese restaurant is Pho King in City Heights.

Pronounced correctly, it is sure to make you smile. Pho is pronounced "fun" without the "N" (not foe, as in enemy). Now put that together.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 AM

144 posts, read 606,900 times
For Convoy St. in Kearney Mesa

Hong Kong/Cantonese - The below 3 are comparable to restaurants in LA.
1. Emerald
2. China Max
3. Jasmine

Dimsum
1. Jasmine - Probably the best in SD if you speak Chinese=)
2. Emerald

Szechuan
1. Dede's
2. Spicy City

Spicy Hot Pot
1. Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot - It's in Clairemont
LITTLE SHEEP - 小肥羊

Boba/Snacks - Convoy Area
1. Tea Station
2. Tapioca Express
3. Green Tea House

Frozen Yogurt (Pink Berry Clone)
1. Yogurt World
2. Pink Berry - 5th Avenue entrance to Hard Rock Hotel not open yet

North County - The best for Cantonese/Dimsum, actually might be the only authentic one. Same owners as Emerald in Convoy

Pearl - Rancho Bernardo

Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 AM

On the subject of Asian food, anyone else here gotten sucked into the latest yogurt craze? If so, check out Red Mango (the original Pinkberry) in Mission Valley mall - pretty good stuff.

Although my favorite might still be Yogurt World on Convoy where you pay by the weight of your cup, including all the toppings you want - yummy!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg8 View Post
For Convoy St. in Kearney Mesa

Hong Kong/Cantonese - The below 3 are comparable to restaurants in LA.
1. Emerald
2. China Max
3. Jasmine

Dimsum
1. Jasmine - Probably the best in SD if you speak Chinese=)
2. Emerald

Szechuan
1. Dede's
2. Spicy City

Spicy Hot Pot
1. Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot - It's in Clairemont
LITTLE SHEEP - 小肥羊

Boba/Snacks - Convoy Area
1. Tea Station
2. Tapioca Express
3. Green Tea House

Frozen Yogurt (Pink Berry Clone)
1. Yogurt World
2. Pink Berry - 5th Avenue entrance to Hard Rock Hotel not open yet

North County - The best for Cantonese/Dimsum, actually might be the only authentic one. Same owners as Emerald in Convoy

Pearl - Rancho Bernardo
Looks like we are running around the same circuit

Old 03-14-2008, 01:58 AM

858 posts, read 2,229,168 times
If you want authentic Chinese food, you gotta try the probably only one place, it's called 168 in the 99 Ranch Supermarket.

I asked the same question as you when I first came to SD. I used to live in the Asian Oasis (SGV), so believe me, 168 is probably your best bet.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:50 AM

288 posts, read 916,101 times
168 is great for Taiwanese food. It's where I go when I need my spicy beef noodle soup fix.

If you're willing to venture downtown try Gen Lai Sen. They serve very good Hakka style Chinese cuisine. Try out one of their seafood hotpots with stuffed tofu.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 AM

144 posts, read 606,900 times
I agree 168 is the best bet for Taiwanese food but I do miss Tainan Cafe in convoy (san jose fame) which has been closed for a number of years now, they had the best stinky tofu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
168 is great for Taiwanese food. It's where I go when I need my spicy beef noodle soup fix.
Dumpling Inn in Convoy is also pretty good but it doesn't come close to something like Din Tai Fung in LA (SGV)

Old 03-14-2008, 10:43 AM

99 posts, read 367,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
If you want authentic Chinese food, you gotta try the probably only one place, it's called 168 in the 99 Ranch Supermarket.

I asked the same question as you when I first came to SD. I used to live in the Asian Oasis (SGV), so believe me, 168 is probably your best bet.
With a name like '168' you're probably right. I just don't any chinese restaurant with the words 'panda, mandarin, dragon, emerald, szechuan, or wok' is authentic, and probably Americanized. When I visited SanDiego, I didn't see any Asian (let alone Chinese) restaurants there. So I'm guessing there's very few Chinese people down there. Must be the Summer heat.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,553,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuyoi_racing View Post
With a name like '168' you're probably right. I just don't any chinese restaurant with the words 'panda, mandarin, dragon, emerald, szechuan, or wok' is authentic, and probably Americanized. :
Like Taco Bell--->
LOL
Mexican(American) Food

Taco Bell sucks so bad,I can't even it it when I'm hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego