Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,310,312 times

Advertisements

Have anyone commuting in San Diego city or county notice that street and freeway litter has been proliferating this year compared to same time last year. Median and shoulders of freeways are increasingly covered in litter.

When I moved from the Bay Area I noticed how clean the street of SoCal in both Orange and San Diego Counties and within City of San Diego was compared to the Bay Area. But since this year I noticed that street litter is now getting nearly as bad as back in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 03:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Have anyone commuting in San Diego city or county notice that street and freeway litter has been proliferating this year compared to same time last year. Median and shoulders of freeways are increasingly covered in litter.

When I moved from the Bay Area I noticed how clean the street of SoCal in both Orange and San Diego Counties and within City of San Diego was compared to the Bay Area. But since this year I noticed that street litter is now getting nearly as bad as back in the Bay Area.
Yes. I notice I dodge trash more than ever that flies from vehicles. I also see fewer trash pickup squads on the roads but more on the beaches.

It would help if the parking enforcement was cut by say 25% and reassigned to patrol. I promise you there would be more than enough ticket revenue covered by (mainly) trucks spewing random trash (bags, wrappers, cups, tools) on the road that they leave in their truck beds. Any ticket revenue not realized could be quadrupled with cell phone tickets

Old 08-08-2017, 03:47 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Yes. I notice I dodge trash more than ever that flies from vehicles. I also see fewer trash pickup squads on the roads but more on the beaches.

It would help if the parking enforcement was cut by say 25% and reassigned to patrol. I promise you there would be more than enough ticket revenue covered by (mainly) trucks spewing random trash (bags, wrappers, cups, tools) on the road that they leave in their truck beds. Any ticket revenue not realized could be quadrupled with cell phone tickets
Parking enforcement officers/meter maids don't have the training/skillset to be "reassigned" to patrol, generally. It's actually a different job altogether.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:50 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Yep, not just that, but our freeway onramps are nothing but weeds these days. Not much maintenance going on there.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

The biggest offenders are garbage trucks. They keep spewing large pieces of garbage out the top where the garbage goes in. I saw one going down the highway and large pieces of items and garbage bags were flying out and causing a traffic hazard.

Its been ever worse since last November. Due to increased unsecured garbage being dumped into the trucks.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 AM

50,275 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Since they tripled dump fees I'm seeing illegal dumping all over the place. Under bridges and frontage roads are the worst.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,535 times
Lol never fear guys, once Calexit happens and the former state is in charge of its own currency, we can just print money for road crews to pick up trash and reduce the dump fees for residents. It'll be like 1975 all over again!!

ROFLOLZZLOLZLLOLZOL

Old 08-13-2017, 06:58 PM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
I hadn't noticed it OP, but if you are advocating an anti-litter campain just describe what you think might help this problem. I'm sure a lot of citizens would support increased fines for illegal dumping, increased enviornmental patrols to ticket litterers etc. And thankfully plastic bag bans should help reduce the amount of plastic waste found on the beaches and in the ocean. There are lots of things that can be done, right?
Dave

Old 08-14-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Lol never fear guys, once Calexit happens and the former state is in charge of its own currency, we can just print money for road crews to pick up trash and reduce the dump fees for residents. It'll be like 1975 all over again!!

ROFLOLZZLOLZLLOLZOL
Only if SoCal and other parts of the state can secede from the left coasters.

Litter fines are already pretty high but its not the issue. The areas surrounding the $1000 fines for littering are often where the virtual landfills along sides of roads are located. I guess if its really $1000 means its never really dished out in real life.

Interestingly before November of last year the road ways of San Diego county and surround SoCal were much cleaner.

I moved from the Bay Area in 2015 and I noticed how SoCal roadways were much cleaner than back in the Bay Area but this year changed all that. Now its almost as bad as the Bay Area I left.

Believe it or not the contrast was not that big before 2010.

I was on i15 one day heading south towards San Diego and noticed two garbage trucks spilling large amounts of flying garbage out the top and there were already large piles of trash on middle the freeway.
During the last five years this is the first time I noticed this down south I noticed this in the Bay Area a lot before I moved though.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 PM

6,503 posts, read 7,533,875 times
I hit the freeway after 930 AM and see litter pick up crews periodically on the 8 freeway. I saw on this morning as a matter of fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: