Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 10:59 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

It's not Millenials buying 650k houses, it's largely 30-40 year olds with new babies who want a safer version of central SD. They are also in places like PB, Point Loma as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:00 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,800 times
Granted, I was speaking in general terms. Of course there are exceptions. But I will have to argue that Generation Z (the generation coming up after the M people) is San Diego's and America's future. This generation is currently in their teens and being rebellious they are rebelling, naturally enough. But instead being like prior generations of kids rebelling against conservatism, they are rebelling against liberal ideology. And to them, conservatism is what being what a moderate was in prior decades.

If we left everything up to the Millennials as a whole, our country would be down the toilet in two seconds.

So hopefully in 10-12 years we won't have as many kids running around neighborhoods where they didn't used to be. When I moved to SD in 1997, the areas dominated by young people were strictly in the beach areas. Now, it's the beach areas, the Gaslamp, and everywhere between the 8 and the 94. It's gotten way out of hand as reflected by the bad job market in all of SD and housing prices in mid-city.

Last edited by GSR13; 08-20-2017 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 11:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It's not Millenials buying 650k houses, it's largely 30-40 year olds with new babies who want a safer version of central SD. They are also in places like PB, Point Loma as well
Millennials are generally considered to be born between 1982 and 2000, so the oldest ones are around 35. While they not be the ones purchasing the 650K houses, they are putting upward pressure on rental prices and influencing the rent/purchase decisions of those who can afford to buy a home.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:49 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Millennials are generally considered to be born between 1982 and 2000, so the oldest ones are around 35. While they not be the ones purchasing the 650K houses, they are putting upward pressure on rental prices and influencing the rent/purchase decisions of those who can afford to buy a home.
What's putting pressure on the rental prices is the lack of affordable houses to buy in San Diego County, not millennials.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:01 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
I'm a millennial, born and raised San Diegan, and will never be able to afford a $500,000+ home in SD. The ones that are able to, aren't originally from here, they move here from the Bay Area, Seattle, Denver, and other cities for job opportunities. I drive for Uber part time, and the vast amount of people I pick up are all under 40 years old, and these people somehow have money, because I drop them off in uppity well to do neighborhoods for the most part.

My guess is the vast majority of these young people are still getting help from mom and dad, since they tend to party a lot and have endless time on their hands to travel and enjoy daytime activities.

North Park sucks now, if you're not white, and or part of the hipster/craft brewery scene. I drive down Uni Ave and ECB every day, and it's crazy to see how much that place has changed in the last 5 years. Soon, you won't have anymore mom and pop shops, as they are being pushed out by high-end restaurants, and other trendy businesses. No more dry cleaners, barber shops, auto repair shops, corner markets, or anything that benefits the entire community, not just the hipster nerds and yuppy crowds walking their fruitcake dogs up and down 30th.

North Park is also starting to commercialize and is losing it's old-school flavor. The diversity of people has dropped off big time, it's like a mini PB now.

Eventually, just like what is happening in Downtown SD with all the older buildings being torn down and replaced with new condo's that all look the same, NP is slowly changing and is giving way to new development that caters to the wealthy yuppies with the lack of character and a soul.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:26 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
There are many people that don't have to live in SD and can't afford to live in SD- but they choose to live in SD. So yeah this impacts the real estate market. Anyone that has rented or rents their own property is familiar with the idea of people having roommates and stuffing 4-5 people in a unit. When you can't afford to live on your own or in some circumstances support a spouse on your own- maybe its time to find a more affordable place. But its become a more acceptable practice- living with parents and living with friends into your 30s. This takes places often in NP and many other areas as well. The reality is - Millennials probably make a larger majority of this group. It isn't a knock against them - the generation as a built in excuse with the economy tanking when many of them were getting their first jobs, and now the older generations hold onto the careers they have longer then ever because they weren't wise with money or supported kids well into their 20s and 30s or can't stand the idea of being retired.

In regard to this statement the younger generation "rebelling against liberal ideology"- I don't see this happening. Colleges and higher education don't allow this- you will see some of the most egregious political biases taking place in Universities.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:31 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
What's putting pressure on the rental prices is the lack of affordable houses to buy in San Diego County, not millennials.
True and this also begs the question why don't people go where there is affordable housing...

Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
To the OP's original question, North Park is roughly divided into the thirds, the area north of El Cajon Boulevard, the area between El Cajon Boulevard and University Avenue, and the area south of University Avenue. My comments on dropping a large chunk of change would depend on which of these areas you were buying in.

The area south of University Avenue is the most stable in maintaining its older architecture, real estate values, and neighborhood charm.

The area between University Avenue and El Cajon Boulevard is the area which will see the greatest amount of redevelopment, and it needs it. Unfortunately, the remaining small houses will be redeveloped before those hideous Huffmans will be torn down. Your future quality of life is most at risk in that area. However, if your real estate purchase can be leveraged into a development opportunity, it might be where you'll make the most money.

North of El Cajon Boulevard is all over the place and generalizations are more difficult to make.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:14 AM

264 posts, read 250,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
True and this also begs the question why don't people go where there is affordable housing...
I've seen some stories about Millennials being less interested in homebuying because they value experiences more, like travel for example, and flexibility. I'm not a Millennial but I can understand that point of view. To some the tradeoff for expensive rent is living in a place they love.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:17 PM

368 posts, read 366,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
This is exactly why I tell young people on this forum not to move to SD. SD has the highest millennial % of any major metro in the US, and everyone knows they don't do much except create lame techie apps, stare at their smartphones, and look for things to get offended about. They keep moving here and moving back to where they came from because they can't afford it. Their generational narcissism drives them to move here imprudently when there's readily available information indicating it's not a good idea. If they had a lick of sense I'd go much easier on them. And this is despite the LOCAL-BORN millennial population DECLINING due to them moving away due to the economic factors. These vermin will infest and render uninhabitable every halfway-interesting area in SD county before they are done.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to check out re-animated records
Thanks, I guess. Looks like it's Boca Raton with the 55 over crowd. On the plus side, I won't have a mortgage, I'll just pay cash. And the dream of perfect weather. But low taxes. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego