Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:18 AM

9,803 posts, read 11,489,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Anyone that has followed the Pads know they suck and no amount of "stadium" will change that. The one good lesson from it is we didn't build one for greedy Spanos.
Amen
Although i am still Pro new Stadium, just not for Billionaires

Last edited by hitman619; 08-23-2017 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,893,963 times
Good comments above.
Yes, parking is pretty easy and not expensive around there, in part b/c games do not sell out.
Tickets prices are not expensive (at least when I used to go >5 years ago), in part b/c games do not sell out.
The area surrounding Petco is fun enough, a bit touristy but not too bad.
In case I never ever mentioned it before, I despise the greedy ownership group, but not as much as someone else.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:14 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,757,143 times
Petco park is very bland architecturally. In a way, the ballpark looks as if it belongs in the suburbs with its sandy colored exterior and flat surfaces.

Old 08-25-2017, 09:10 AM

3,444 posts, read 5,229,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Petco park is very bland architecturally. In a way, the ballpark looks as if it belongs in the suburbs with its sandy colored exterior and flat surfaces.
I agree overall, but I do like tbe way at least old warehouses are integrated into the park so that it's not all sterile. It's really more the building materials than the architecture that's the issue. But the way the park sits in its neighborhood is awesome. The park at the park, plus the modern office and condo towers right there, give the neighborhood great atmosphere. I agree that AT&T Park has better style, but it feels like it's sort of on its own on a busy thoroughfare, while Petco is surrounded by a walkable neighborhood. The views at Petco are great, although it's ironic that AT&T Park has more of the view you'd expect from SD and Petco has the city view you'd expect from SF...

Old 08-25-2017, 10:39 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,785,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
You have high standards.

Have you taken a look at other parks across the Country?

Old 08-25-2017, 10:49 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,893,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I agree overall, but I do like tbe way at least old warehouses are integrated into the park so that it's not all sterile. It's really more the building materials than the architecture that's the issue. But the way the park sits in its neighborhood is awesome. The park at the park, plus the modern office and condo towers right there, give the neighborhood great atmosphere. I agree that AT&T Park has better style, but it feels like it's sort of on its own on a busy thoroughfare, while Petco is surrounded by a walkable neighborhood. The views at Petco are great, although it's ironic that AT&T Park has more of the view you'd expect from SD and Petco has the city view you'd expect from SF...
agree (though not been within ATT)

Old 09-02-2017, 05:46 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,992,568 times
Much as it pains me to say it, SF is easily and handily top 5. LA is simply iconic.Pretty much the one baby boom ballpark that has withstood the test of time, in an era of horrible ballparks. With epic history.

Now I am not saying SD is pathetic, like say, Oakland. That is a ballpark that looks and feels like a prison. Complete with Oakland people with tats, and barbed wire on the walk way to BART, toothless fans.

But it just felt so bland and sterile.

Don't get me wrong, the tall buildings give off the illusion that you are watching a game in a big city. But it is pretty clear you are not, once you step out of the stadium.

It's not like Fenway or Wrigley, where the neighborhood is literally integrated into the stadium experience. It' just bland, like going to a Texas Rangers game.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,714,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Much as it pains me to say it, SF is easily and handily top 5. LA is simply iconic.Pretty much the one baby boom ballpark that has withstood the test of time, in an era of horrible ballparks. With epic history.

Now I am not saying SD is pathetic, like say, Oakland. That is a ballpark that looks and feels like a prison. Complete with Oakland people with tats, and barbed wire on the walk way to BART, toothless fans.

But it just felt so bland and sterile.

Don't get me wrong, the tall buildings give off the illusion that you are watching a game in a big city. But it is pretty clear you are not, once you step out of the stadium.

It's not like Fenway or Wrigley, where the neighborhood is literally integrated into the stadium experience. It' just bland, like going to a Texas Rangers game.
Of course it pains you to say that AT&T is the best ballpark in Country. You can't bring yourself to say anything good about anywhere in CA that isn't related to LA. I love the envy you have towards SF and SD. Haha! How hard was it for you to say that Petco isn't the worst ballpark you've visited? Nice jab about Oakland people, too (Yet another example of your insecurity towards other CA cities).

Getting back on topic. I've watched games in 27 of the 30 ballparks and for you to praise Nationals Stadium and Yankee Stadium make your list crap. No one considers them top ranked. Kaufmann Stadium over Dodger Stadium, for sure. And no place has better atmosphere and nostalgia than Wrigley or Fenway, but both places are dumps.

Keep up the continuous SD and SF bashing. It's always entertaining to watch your posts get ignored because no one agrees with you.

Old 09-03-2017, 04:13 PM

3,814 posts, read 3,992,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Of course it pains you to say that AT&T is the best ballpark in Country. You can't bring yourself to say anything good about anywhere in CA that isn't related to LA. I love the envy you have towards SF and SD. Haha! How hard was it for you to say that Petco isn't the worst ballpark you've visited? Nice jab about Oakland people, too (Yet another example of your insecurity towards other CA cities).

Getting back on topic. I've watched games in 27 of the 30 ballparks and for you to praise Nationals Stadium and Yankee Stadium make your list crap. No one considers them top ranked. Kaufmann Stadium over Dodger Stadium, for sure. And no place has better atmosphere and nostalgia than Wrigley or Fenway, but both places are dumps.

Keep up the continuous SD and SF bashing. It's always entertaining to watch your posts get ignored because no one agrees with you.
Cute. I've been to every ball park in the country, plus 4 in Mexico, 2 in Korea, and 2 in Japan.

Sorry, but Wrigley and Fenway are iconic. People come from all over the world just to watch games there. It's like watching a game in a musuem. Sitting and enjoying the game in the same confines people did some 90-100 years ago. Those places are icons.

Yankee stadium is a modern marvel, simply amazing.

Sorry but SD's ballpark is really bland and generic, and the fan atmosphere is probably the worst in baseball. Even A's fans at least have passion.

There is just no character to the stadium at all. The beer is really the only thing with personality in the stadium. Honestly, it is a mid grade park, with the worst fan experience in the country. There's just no passion, no history, no energy, no character. It's no wonder the stadium is totally empty.

Anahiem stadium is not as nice, but is light years ahead of SD in terms of fan experience.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:43 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,526,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

Spot on! Couldn't agree more. Threads like this seem to get started because some are insecure and upset that others like or praise a place so much, Petco in this case. 90% of people love Petco in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego