Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:54 AM

46 posts, read 215,913 times

Advertisements

I am expected to drive my 3 children to 3 different schools????? If I live in Carlsbad or San Marcos.....does anyone know any towns close to these areas that DO offer bus service?

I cannot imagine having to drive and pick up every single day. I will be a slave to my kids school schedule! I have lived in all areas of the US and cannot believe some so cal towns don't offer bus service!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 AM

250 posts, read 911,283 times
Well I think some do, for a fee, but mainly lots of kids take public transportation and yes, do have parents pick up/drop off or walk. With budget cuts this is just a fact of how it is here. Its actually not too bad but it does fill up a large part of your day. I have two at different schools and at different times so I also feel the pain. I would call the school and check into transportation options. They usually have a few buses running but again--a large fee.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM

786 posts, read 3,926,118 times
Poway Unified offers bus service if you live far enough away from the school (usually for middle and high schools), at a fee. Welcome to no-budget California schools.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM

63 posts, read 283,482 times
It's called being a parent... If you don't like it, don't move there.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:10 PM

46 posts, read 215,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivenhain View Post
It's called being a parent... If you don't like it, don't move there.
Wow!! I hope you aren't my neighbor. ha ha

My first post was sort of tongue in cheek. It is shocking though....to pay premium for homes and taxes and then not have what I consider basic school services.

Last edited by oliver6323; 12-24-2008 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 PM

63 posts, read 283,482 times
I can almost guarantee you won't be my neighbor...

You don't have to drive the little darlings. You can buy a house that they can walk or ride their bike from. There are plenty of homes in Carlsbad & Encinitas where the kids can easily walk to school, K-12.

You'll still get to spend plenty of time with them driving to soccer, piano, scouts, dance, baseball, swim, etc...

Old 12-24-2008, 07:50 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,441,588 times
Hi, I am up in Orange County but we don't have bus service to the elementary schools. Only middle and high schools have school bus service. For elementary schools a lot of parents work out a car pool. For example, when I had kids in elementary school (they are in high school now) I was in a carpool with three other parents. I dropped off only Monday and Friday mornings and picked up Wednesday afternoons.

Maybe consider a carpool.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,969 times
It's my understanding that the more people who call the school district, the more likely school bus service will be "re-instated." It's a move district considered to save money. I drive 24 miles/day to take my two kids to two different schools, 5 days a week and yes, I am a slave to their schedule One is in Middle School, other in High School. So far, I haven't met anyone who wants to carpool!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:59 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana5 View Post
It's my understanding that the more people who call the school district, the more likely school bus service will be "re-instated." It's a move district considered to save money. I drive 24 miles/day to take my two kids to two different schools, 5 days a week and yes, I am a slave to their schedule One is in Middle School, other in High School. So far, I haven't met anyone who wants to carpool!
Nana5, that is one of my concerns as well as far as relocating to San Diego (or S. CA). I would probably have to buy a house/rent a house that is within walking distance to schools if there isn't school bus service offered even with a fee.

That's one of the things that I do take for granted living here in NE OH. Now, our high school did cut out high school bus service last year which was a pain as it required diligence and commitment on my part to be there every day at a certain time. Honestly, I don't know how I would have done it if I was employed at a "job" (I work from home in my own business) as I wouldn't even be off when the kids were done with school.

I'm not a carpooler mostly because it would require me to be responsible for other people's kids as well. I do know people that do very well with car pools. For me, it would require a great amount of trusting not only them, but also their driving ability. Even though I've been a parent for 25+ years, I'm still a worry wart when it comes to these things.

I hope that you work things out (or have worked them out already). Hang in there. Budget cut seem to have hit many of our towns across America.

****By the way, what is the driving age for teen-agers in CA? 16 or 18??? That is a question that I've had on my mind for a while. Thank you.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:04 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,855,027 times
You have to be 16 to drive alone in California, but not necessarily drive well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego