Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
I actually like Pokez. Their service may not be stellar, but their food is pretty good.
The service is horrendous and I worry about getting hepatitis from the staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
long lines, noisy techno blaring.
I'll agree with you on these points, but the line is for a reason. And I think that techno crap is only one saturday a month from what I remember. But my first time to Hash House they did have that damn DJ going and I had a bad hangover and the techno was just awful. Seriously, who the hell wants to hear techno music at 11am on a Saturday morning, especially if you have gone out the night before? So yeah, if you do end up going to hash house make sure it's not on that day they have a DJ there.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM

85 posts, read 415,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
One breakfast place I definitely would avoid is The Broken Yolk Cafe in Pacific Beach and The Mission in Mission Beach.
I think the mission is ok. A little artsy fartsy but the food is good.

One place to avoid is the bar with the deck facing the boardwalk on PB right behind the Powerhouse gym. Saw a HUGE rat strolling around on top of the bar one night after closing.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:47 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
The Mission is very good for breakfast, was in 1997 (Mission Beach), and on my return in 2008 (North Park) was consistently very good.

As far as the chains like TGIF, Applebees, if you get stuck there, just get a burger as usually good. Actually Mexican Tio Leos and On the Border have good burgers, while 99 has bad ones. That rat story above is bad news.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
La Bella Pizza on Third in Chula Vista (you probably won't be down that way anyway). Horrible place.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:06 AM

303 posts, read 846,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Of course avoid most chains since you can find them anywhere, except In-n-out of course!

Right on!

When I finally return home to California, hopefully to San Diego, the first meal I will have will be In-N-Out!

Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1775 View Post
I think the mission is ok. A little artsy fartsy but the food is good.

One place to avoid is the bar with the deck facing the boardwalk on PB right behind the Powerhouse gym. Saw a HUGE rat strolling around on top of the bar one night after closing.

That is gross!! Never cared for Lahaina's anyways, always seemed too much of a "scene" there. Last night I was at Sandbar on the second floor and was just watching this HUGE rate running all over the roof of the restaurant/cafe next to Sandbar. So another place to avoid is the place next to Sandbar, can't remember the name but avoid it!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:17 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The food is nothing special, the portions are too large, long lines, noisy techno blaring. It's more overrated than bad I suppose. Read my yelps about it.
I don't eat out much myself. I haven't had a restaurant meal in San Diego in years - but I've always been intrigued by the Hash House A Go Go name. My supposition has always been that it got its name so as to attract a certain type of clientele that is known for getting extreme cases of the MUNCHIES. Would the actual customers seen inside bear out my hypothesis?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I don't eat out much myself. I haven't had a restaurant meal in San Diego in years - but I've always been intrigued by the Hash House A Go Go name. My supposition has always been that it got its name so as to attract a certain type of clientele that is known for getting extreme cases of the MUNCHIES. Would the actual customers seen inside bear out my hypothesis?
No, it's more of a yuppie-ized version of a diner.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:15 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,350,124 times
Not SD, but if you go down to Tijuana, avoid the first 10-15 restaurants you see. There are a lot of tourists who go down and geek by stopping to eat "mexican" food at the first place that looks tourist-friendly. It will likely be twice as expensive and half as good as a similar "touristy" mexican restaurant 200 yards up the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego