Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,538,629 times

Advertisements

These links are about illegal immigrants, not "foreign born Mexicans or others from Latin America" as you stated. Illegal immigrants might be a small subset of "foreign born Mexicans or others from Latin America" but they are not even anywhere near the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 10:13 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
I'm guessing you have no idea who John Lott is

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ns-crime-data/

Old 03-29-2018, 10:35 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
The first week I returned to SD, my wallet was stolen into thin air (I lost my photos and foreign coins). But at least I'm not dead.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:24 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
The first week I returned to SD, my wallet was stolen into thin air (I lost my photos and foreign coins). But at least I'm not dead.
Yeah, I don't think most people know that San Diego is the only place where wallets gets stolen. Thanks for the warning.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:37 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,251,052 times
Blocked.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,124,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
That's about as anecdotal as it gets.

I mean, "stolen into thin air" suggests you don't even know how it happened. So, how do you know an individual took it vs. you just accidentally dropping it into a gutter while stepping into your car?

Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
That's about as anecdotal as it gets.

I mean, "stolen into thin air" suggests you don't even know how it happened. So, how do you know an individual took it vs. you just accidentally dropping it into a gutter while stepping into your car?
No kidding. The only thing that would’ve made this better is, I was out drinking and my wallet got stolen into thin air. Maybe we never actually lose thing, they just get stolen into thin air.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:42 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
San Diego is a safe city because it annexes all the wealthy neighborhoods (just look at the city limits, all the neighborhoods are far wealthier than LA's city limit neighborhoods in general.) And all the cities where the crime rate is high (National City, El Cajon, Chula Vista) are excluded from the statistics.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:38 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,606,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
It wasn’t until the gentrification process in last 10+years that we now have lower crime rates in the U.S. largest cities such as NYC, DC and L.A. But 20-30 years ago, crime was out of control in those cities. Wealthy Whites are reversing White flight in the urban parts of these cities thus reducing crime through displacement of poor AA and Hispanics. Very dense, old urban areas are more likely to have higher crime than a more Suburban oriented metro like San Diego which also doesn’t have the massive urbanization issues like that of L.A, NYC, SF-Oakland, Chicago, Philly, Boston, Detroit etc...all which have higher violent crime than SD.

Poverty in crime go hand in hand, I understand that but poor AA are more than likely to be violent and murder each other than poor Whites that are tweaked out all day long and looking for their next fix. SD simply doesn’t have huge concentrations of poor AA, which is part of the reason why SD’s crime isn’t as severe as other metros in the U.S.

The problem with illegals and other immigrants from Mexico and South America is the crimes they commit is in drug smuggling, human trafficking, car theft, and other petty crimes that aren’t reported on the news everyday . Sure we have Vato’s and Cholo gangsters which are Chicano (Mexican Americans), that also commit crimes usually that are more gang related, but the crimes tied to illegals and recent immigrants from down South are mostly more serious and deadly especially if they are working for the Cartels.

I’m not saying all of them are like that either, but being a border a town, I believe SD and the Border Patrol have really gotten a hand on crime down by the border compared to other border cities. We have the military here which I am sure makes a big difference in crime fighting from the air and sea.
I don't disagree that black on black crime is a major issue and that San Diego's relatively small low-income black population probably helps it's crime statistics. But I would definitely like to say that there is a major difference between blacks and Hispanics when it comes to systemic racism. Let's not compare the two and act like they're somehow comparable. African Americans were brought here on boats against their will. Most Hispanics chose to come here or were annexed into the US centuries ago. And White people control the entire country and most of it's wealth, so it's not surprising they commit less crime whether or not they are on drugs.

Edit: I'm not just referencing your post, but there was another post comparing Hispanics to African Americans regarding crime that my post is also addressing. I'd post separate responses normally, but I only have access to my iPhone right now.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:43 PM

567 posts, read 431,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Race and culture is the main reason here for some cities having high and low crime rates, including cities that are heavily urbanized, in which San Diego is not. Poverty does play a role too, but it’s not the sole purpose. Culture of the city matters as well and if it has a bad rep for being thuggish and ghetto, some of the residents will use that fuel for the fire to commit crime because they might think it’s normal and cool to go rob and shoot up a corner market in a city like Chicago being nicknamed “Chiraq”. I know it sounds stupid but some people feed off it. Black people commit more crimes, and San Diego hardly has any of them.

Hispanics do to, but not at the rate of AA. The hardworking culture of Hispanic families runs deep in many of our local communities, so they don’t have the time to do bad stuff since they’re at work all day. While many AA are on welfare and other government aid and don’t want to work, this creates a mix of too many young black men not doing anything which can lead them into doing bad things since they’re not being productive.

I also understand the mindset of someone that would rather sell dope and make a thousand bucks in a few hours, than working a regular job that pays chump change wages. But the point is, it’s not all about the money at first, it’s about the work experience and learning from it. But sadly, it’s the culture and that their parents never instilled a hard work ethic when they were growing up which is why the black community continues to have the problems is still has today. If they get away from the thuggish, “being smart is for suckers” mentality, then nothing will ever change. The Gov can’t do anything about it, nor can society. Only they can.

On the flip side San Diego doesn’t have too many foreign born Mexicans or others from Latin America like you see in L.A. and other big cities. The majority of our Hispanic population was born in the U.S.therefore they are accustomed to our culture and way of life, but foreign born immigrants are not, and these types are the ones that usually commit more crimes especially if they come from countries that are poverty stricken.

As we all know the extreme wealth, high cost of living and desirability of San Diego, keeps the crime low as it prevents lessser ( hood folks) people from moving here. And what demographics are the ones that are mostly able to afford to live here in SD?

Whites and Asians.
Complete nonsense !!! And quite racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego