Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 11:48 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I think it would be a stretch on your salary. I live in central San Diego and a decent one bedroom runs about 2k a month. And yes traffic and parking are rough. This is compounded by tourists who don't know their way around and drive erratically.

Being an affluent community and a popular tourist area the business community jacks up the price of everything. Gas, groceries and dining spots. The upside is of course the beaches and the ocean. You seem like you are young and resilient . Give it a shot. You can always move if things don't work out.

Thank you for your compliment. I am planning on renting my house and moving down there. I live in a high COL area, although it's not as high as San Diego.

But as far as my budget goes, I would probably stretch it out to $1800 monthly. If that cannot get me to PB or North PB, what areas of SD that I rent a 1bdrm apartment for that price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 12:19 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
PB sucks. Really bad. Remember the bar brawls and traffic is bad...lots of city buses to sit behind in your car.

It is is getting so expensive in PB and forget parking.
PB isn't as bad as you make it out to be. The further north you go, the quieter is gets. And what bar brawls? Traffic is bad getting in and out of the neighborhood but it would be avoided if the OPs office is in downtown La Jolla.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
Good suggestions. But I'd take Little Italy off that list--it seems to be one of the most expensive areas nowadays.
Agree. I guess I was thinking of my son in law who also works for a large national CPA firm with an office in La Jolla. He lived in Little Italy when he first moved to SD after accepting his job there. He later lived in North Park, and now that he's married, in East County.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Thank you for your compliment. I am planning on renting my house and moving down there. I live in a high COL area, although it's not as high as San Diego.

But as far as my budget goes, I would probably stretch it out to $1800 monthly. If that cannot get me to PB or North PB, what areas of SD that I rent a 1bdrm apartment for that price?
All of the areas that have been suggested above in this thread (including Little Italy) would be workable for renting a one bedroom within your budget.

La Jolla might require more of a stretch, however.

Since it sounds like you have time before accepting this job, I would suggest again that you come down for a visit and scope out neighborhoods before your eventual move, and then focus on a couple that seem like they fit your needs/interests/fun meter.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:23 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,917,875 times
You could rent this place for a million bucks a year: https://www.trulia.com/rental/401832...Jolla-CA-92037

Seriously, La Jolla is not the best choice for a young guy.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:01 AM

771 posts, read 835,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
You didn't say much about your age or interests, but I second north pacific beach. NPB is a lot quieter and more affluent due in part to bordering La Jolla. Within the entire PB area, there's a Ralph's and a Von's as major grocery stores plus the more specialty Sprouts and Gelson's. As 1ATP pointed out, there's an Ace for basic hardware needs and there are plenty of restaurants and bars. Plus, the PB-Ocean Beach boardwalk is great and the beach itself is nice. The boardwalk and beach gets a little busy on weekends and during summer, though.

I know you didn't ask about this, but are you planning on renting your existing house at a net profit and is that included in your $4k net income? If it is, be aware that in terms of qualifying, rental income is often discounted. Make sure you budget in repairs and maintenance on your old place. You should also obviously keep in mind if your old place goes vacant, you could end up with double housing payments.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy10 View Post
You didn't say much about your age or interests, but I second north pacific beach. NPB is a lot quieter and more affluent due in part to bordering La Jolla. Within the entire PB area, there's a Ralph's and a Von's as major grocery stores plus the more specialty Sprouts and Gelson's. As 1ATP pointed out, there's an Ace for basic hardware needs and there are plenty of restaurants and bars. Plus, the PB-Ocean Beach boardwalk is great and the beach itself is nice. The boardwalk and beach gets a little busy on weekends and during summer, though.

I know you didn't ask about this, but are you planning on renting your existing house at a net profit and is that included in your $4k net income? If it is, be aware that in terms of qualifying, rental income is often discounted. Make sure you budget in repairs and maintenance on your old place. You should also obviously keep in mind if your old place goes vacant, you could end up with double housing payments.

I'm not including my income for renting out my house. I'll use any income i have for any repairs and what not. And I am well aware of the possibility of the double house payments but it's a risk worth taking, IF i get this job in SD.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
You could rent this place for a million bucks a year: https://www.trulia.com/rental/401832...Jolla-CA-92037

Seriously, La Jolla is not the best choice for a young guy.
Oh come on. La Jolla is expensive but it's not some tiny enclave for the ultra wealthy.

He ain't gonna get no quartz countertops or a brand new building (or my personal deal breaker- in unit W/D) but he can sure get a 1BR on his budget. With a pool and everything!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/...320641347.html

Old 09-29-2017, 01:12 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Does it still smell like ass in La Jolla? Or did the spray program eliminate the fecal odors from the birds and sea lions?

Old 09-29-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
Does it still smell like ass in La Jolla? Or did the spray program eliminate the fecal odors from the birds and sea lions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego