Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 08:23 AM

190 posts, read 167,520 times

Advertisements

I didn't see a previous thread on this topic, so thought I'd start one.

I'm doing research for a book set in San Diego in the 1970's and would like to read anyone's thoughts about the city back then; not necessarily the big things like the PSA collision, but the day-to-day life back then - the downtown, pre-gentrification Gaslamp district, traffic, shopping, crime, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 AM

84 posts, read 57,034 times
I moved to San Diego in 1956 as an infant, my dad was in the Navy and haven't moved out of the county since. Graduated Patrick Henry HS in 1972. Can remember growing up near Home Ave and Hwy 94 and as a young child riding our bicycles down Market St. to the SD Zoo or catching the ferry across to Coronado (kids and bikes were free for both). No concern from our parents our only criteria- be home before dark. 20 years later while working as a Telecommunications Technician, we wouldn't drive into those same areas without a couple of vehicles for safety reasons after dark and generally tried to work in pairs daytime. My early 70's remembrances of Horton Plaza were prior to the Plaza being built. My underage buddies and I used to go down there Friday evenings to sneak into the Adult Theaters and shops that were in abundance. Never once thought about crime back then. Later years after the Plaza was redeveloped most of the seedy shops were pushed to outlying areas. I haven't personally been down there in 20 years, moved to far east county and retired about an hour away with no reason to go down there. Good luck with your research, Ron

Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcq View Post
I moved to San Diego in 1956 as an infant, my dad was in the Navy and haven't moved out of the county since. Graduated Patrick Henry HS in 1972. Can remember growing up near Home Ave and Hwy 94 and as a young child riding our bicycles down Market St. to the SD Zoo or catching the ferry across to Coronado (kids and bikes were free for both). No concern from our parents our only criteria- be home before dark. 20 years later while working as a Telecommunications Technician, we wouldn't drive into those same areas without a couple of vehicles for safety reasons after dark and generally tried to work in pairs daytime. My early 70's remembrances of Horton Plaza were prior to the Plaza being built. My underage buddies and I used to go down there Friday evenings to sneak into the Adult Theaters and shops that were in abundance. Never once thought about crime back then. Later years after the Plaza was redeveloped most of the seedy shops were pushed to outlying areas. I haven't personally been down there in 20 years, moved to far east county and retired about an hour away with no reason to go down there. Good luck with your research, Ron
Aah yes the strip joints and "adult" theaters. I remember them for sure.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Growing up in Solana Beach in the 1970s, people had bumper stickers that said "There's No Life East of I-5" and it was pretty true back then!

Old 10-10-2017, 11:55 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Aah yes the strip joints and "adult" theaters. I remember them for sure.
The Tower was my favorite.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:18 PM

Don't forget the Pussycat Theatre, the F Street Bookstore or the Ken Cinema up on Adams Ave. Shame on me in my late teens

Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcq View Post
Don't forget the Pussycat Theatre, the F Street Bookstore or the Ken Cinema up on Adams Ave. Shame on me in my late teens
I didn't know that the Ken Cinema had an "adult" past. Are you sure about that? Or were they just showing artistic European films that 1970s San Diego thought were a bit racy for the times?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM

Hard "R" flicks to a 16 year old was very racy back then. Pretty sure the Ken showed them a couple days a week but that was 47 years ago.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
The two movies I remember seeing at the Ken were The Rocky Horror Picture Show and The Decline of the Western Civilization-over and over again. Quite possibly two of my favorite movies in my early teens.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:30 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
The 70s for me meant being on my bicycle. BMX was the bike of choice for me. I even raced for a few years at the track they had inside the velodrome at Morley Field. The bike I remember the most was a red, Redline. I went through other bikes and traded names like FMF, Torker, SE and of course Schwinn, but i remember saving up money from my paper-route for the Redline.

I grew up in North Park and had the previous mentioned paper-route, delivering the Tribune on the weekdays and the Union on Sunday morning. They would drop the papers off on my front porch after school on the weekdays and early Sunday morning. It was my responsibility to fold and rubber band them and stuff them on a big beach cruiser type of bike I had with baskets and saddle bags- I think the guy who had the route before me sold me the bike with the paper route. My route was from 31st street out to the edge of the golf course on 28th.

Everything seemed to focus around a bicycle. We would see how far away from home we could actually ride. Used to go downtown and fish off the B street pier. A regular destination was an abandoned skateboard park on Home Ave. I think Mission Valley was the furthest destination we made. I remember distinctly trying to trying to peddle back up Texas street with my friend on the back. His bike was stolen in front of May Company. Our first exposure to crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego