Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 757 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are moving to Rancho Penasquitos area this summer. I work at home, so I basically can live anywhere. I picked this area since my young cousin who lives with us needs to go to miramar college, and also Costco is near by, the location seems very convenient and has cheaper rent.
However, my daughter is going to 3rd grade. I am thinking where to send her. I haven seen some posts that people are satisfied with Maranatha Christian school, I am thinking about private schools because the rich programs such music, art and science etc, as well as the safety. But it will add additional 10k every year.
Anyone has every compared christian private schools and Poway public schools in this area? I know Poway public schools rating is very high as well. Another thought is if the public school is not too good, the house price may cheaper, so use the money to go to private school.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Before opting for a private school, why not tour the elementary school that the house you'll be renting/buying is assigned to so you have something for comparison?

Poway Unified is considered to be one of the best school districts in San Diego County, if not the state of California. If you're buying or renting a home in the Poway USD, you'll be paying a premium for the schools. Frankly, there really aren't any "not so good" schools in Poway USD and school safety - especially at the elementary school level - shouldn't be a concern there at all.

Of course, if you have other reasons for opting for a private school - such as wanting your child to receive a religion-based education - then there is nothing wrong with choosing a private school. It's obviously up to the individual family to decide what is best for their child and their family.

Good luck with your move!

Be sure to pay close attention to the admissions deadlines at Marantha. Many private schools do not admit students at the last minute and have limited space. Even if you're moving next summer, you should be in touch with the school now in order to apply for admission.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-20-2018 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM

587 posts, read 443,844 times
I have many friends that sent their children through the Poway public schools and all have been very happy with the educations they received. I would check out the local elementary school near where you plan to rent and see how it is rated. You can also send your daughter to the public school and use the money you save to supplement with outside enrichment programs.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
If you’re involved with your kid’s schooling, like it sounds you will be, she’ll excel in public school there. If you have any reservations I would at least try it for the first year and go from there. My sister and I both grew up in the Poway Unified School District and went onto top tier colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: