Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:12 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,569,509 times

Advertisements

Many thanks! Unfortunately the hiring manager wanted a temp contractor and not a full time employee like the job was advertised for so I will probably pass and keep looking for a real full time job with benefits! I wish companies were honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 03:55 PM

782 posts, read 759,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixxalot View Post
Unfortunately the job site is 6 miles from ANY COASTER station in Carlsbad! Damn employers suck.
You really do not have much options when you live South or East, the 5 or the 15 is it, and 78 is a parking lot at rush hour around Escondido/San Marcos if taking the 15. Palomar Airport Road also get's heavy traffic and backs up around Viasat and I read they are expanding to add 2K+ jobs at some point, that should be interesting.

The Sprinter line is also not much use if you take the Coaster, since it's no where near Carlsbad, but get's into San Marcos nicely.

I work and live in North County, so when I moved here I had to live close to work, commuted way too much in the past to desire it again. If my job ever changes to anywhere south of the 56, I'll be moving close.

My neighbor works in the Sorrento Valley and leaves at 6AM every morning, get's home around the same time. I live off of Rancho Santa Fe Rd near the San Marcos/Carlsbad line. Since there are little roads east to west here, Rancho Santa Fe along with Palomar Airport Rd are filled with many doing the same commute south daily.

Coaster would be probably take longer with any stops involved, I don't know the schedule. You could by an electric bike and bring it along and do the 6 miles to work and back if you were up to it, just won't be fun during Winter when it rains and get's cold.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:52 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Many thanks! Unfortunately the hiring manager wanted a temp contractor and not a full time employee like the job was advertised for so I will probably pass and keep looking for a real full time job with benefits! I wish companies were honest.
That stinks. Sorry about that -- best wishes for better luck next time.

Old 10-25-2017, 01:45 PM

264 posts, read 250,406 times
I used to commute from OB to Carlsbad on the 5. Leaving in the am before about 7:15 wasn't bad; after that you get the rush. In the pm you'll hit stop-and-go traffic from the 5/805 split north of La Jolla starting somewhere between 3 and 4. Short answer: mornings won't be terrible, but afternoons/evenings can be. Enjoy the fact that you're only doing it for a short while.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
I don't really understand the mentality of employers in SD. They complain about finding talent but then locate their offices in places that are literally impossible to get to. Is a shuttle service from the coaster station in Carlsbad to the office parks up by Palomar airport a radical concept? Sorrento valley should have the same as well, and not just for Qualcomm.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:14 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I don't really understand the mentality of employers in SD. They complain about finding talent but then locate their offices in places that are literally impossible to get to. Is a shuttle service from the coaster station in Carlsbad to the office parks up by Palomar airport a radical concept? Sorrento valley should have the same as well, and not just for Qualcomm.
What options do they have???

Developers overtake spots, there is a lot of "dead" land you can't build on, or there are desirable spots but they are typically expensive lease options.

They City doesn't care at all about infrastructure or transportation needs.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:56 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,031,922 times
Quote:
Unfortunately the job site is 6 miles from ANY COASTER station in Carlsbad! Damn employers suck.
Any chance you could ride a bike from the train to work? 6 miles is a pretty short ride and it'd be a nice way to start/end the day

Another idea: a friend of mine drove up on Monday, left her car in Carlsbad for the week and used it to commute to/from the train station, then drove it back home on Friday. This only works if you can get around your neighborhood on foot/bicycle etc (she had a Vespa scooter for evening errands)

Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Any chance you could ride a bike from the train to work? 6 miles is a pretty short ride and it'd be a nice way to start/end the day

Another idea: a friend of mine drove up on Monday, left her car in Carlsbad for the week and used it to commute to/from the train station, then drove it back home on Friday. This only works if you can get around your neighborhood on foot/bicycle etc (she had a Vespa scooter for evening errands)
See post #11

Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,259 times
Quote:
They do the same thing in North Scottsdale. Employers like to set up shop nearby where they live, pure and simple, despite having to pay more to attract employees. Since employers tend to be workaholics, long commute times don't register with them as a big negative.

It will be fun to watch these employers ***** and moan when more and more workers demand telecommuting. I'll be saving popcorn.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
I drive 15 minutes every day to get to where you say is "literally impossible to get to." They used to have local shuttles (Breeze buses, maybe?) that would run from the neighborhoods near train stations to the stations, but I guess the budget knife got them. Honestly, I'd slit my wrists if I had to drive to Chula Vista, El Cajon or Imperial Beach for work. My point is, living near work is key to a happy work-life balance, wherever that may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego