Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 03:52 PM

6 posts, read 5,614 times

Advertisements

I've received a couple different bids for replacement fencing recently, but only one of the two companies has been responsive and seems like they'd be easy to work with. I'm looking to have about 48 feet of 5 foot privacy cedar fencing with a lattice top installed as well as 3 gates spread among the areas that will be fenced. they quoted me $4100 to remove the old fencing and install the new fencing with new posts.

I was also told that wood fencing is more expensive than vinyl due to being harder to install these days. I highly prefer the look of wood so vinyl is out at this point. When I broke it down that $4100 bid comes out to about $85 a foot for fencing! Seems excessive but i'd like to get a second opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 07:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
We are east of Seattle, but coincidentally got a recent quote for 50’ of cedar fence here, 6’ with just boards and posts, no lattice top, no gate and it was about the same, $4,300 installed.

Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
I have a great idea...put up your own fence, save $$$....I have done several, in San Diego and elsewhere, from wood fence to field fencing, it’s not that hard. Are you time limited? Invite friends, give them a hammer, have a barbecue, pay them in beer!

Old 11-09-2017, 06:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBmoto View Post
I've received a couple different bids for replacement fencing recently, but only one of the two companies has been responsive and seems like they'd be easy to work with. I'm looking to have about 48 feet of 5 foot privacy cedar fencing with a lattice top installed as well as 3 gates spread among the areas that will be fenced. they quoted me $4100 to remove the old fencing and install the new fencing with new posts.

I was also told that wood fencing is more expensive than vinyl due to being harder to install these days. I highly prefer the look of wood so vinyl is out at this point. When I broke it down that $4100 bid comes out to about $85 a foot for fencing! Seems excessive but i'd like to get a second opinion.
Seems high to me but haven't had a fence installed for 2-3 years. The lattice on top is extra expense and labor plus you have 3 gates which is always extra. I could shoot you a phone number if interested in getting another bid.

The cost to have work done in California and Seattle rises with the cost of housing, be it rental or homeownership. I had work done in the San Francisco area a couple years ago and it was shocking.

I also recently got a fencing bid for a second home in Northwest Arkansas for 255' with 2) man gates and one double vehicle gate $15/ foot $4,095

Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
During the storms last winter, we lost the shared fence with our neighbor on the side. Neighbor and I went in 50-50 and paid 2500 bucks, about 1250 for each of us. This was for an 80 foot good neighbor cedar fence with metal posts, and screwed in planks. No gates, doors, or lattice. Cedar is pretty much the standard if you want it good. Metal posts and screws are extra. You gotta get metal posts and screws if you want it to last.

We went with GFC Fence, excellent work.

Always remember the project management triangle:

Good
Fast
Cheap

You can only pick two....

Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 PM

50,277 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Rip off, ditch the lattice and gates if possible. Fencing is so easy to do. 48 feet should be less then a grand, tops, even with a gate.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Cedar/N-5yc1vZ1z11kdo

Depends on if you want wood posts or metal posts.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 11-09-2017 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 12:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
That seems really excessive. And especially for a cedar fence. I would get more bids because I think you're getting hosed at that price.

Why are you wanting cedar, btw? Redwood is the gold standard here in CA and will serve you better. Cedar is relatively soft wood and won't hold up to weather nearly as well as redwood. I built a gate from cedar and it just fell apart after a few years..I wound up burning the wood in my outdoor firepit, so it wasn't a total loss, but the gate it replaced was a redwood one that lasted 15 years.

Are you choosing some upgrade options that could account for the cost besides the lattice? Things that add cost are 6x6 posts (standard is 4x4), or extra large kickboards.

Lattice accounts for about $6/foot for the large (2 foot) style...but it sounds like you're only doing 1 foot, for an overall height of 6 feet? That should run a bit less.

A standard gate is 42 inches, shouldn't be more than $300/gate unless you are getting a fancier/decorative gate style.

The reasonable price for six foot, board on board fence, redwood con-common grade, with 4x4 pressure treated posts set at 24 inches minimum of crowned concrete and 2x8 pressure treated kicks, should be in the range of $38-45/LF, depending where you are getting this installed.

So with 48 feet of fence, and three gates, I don't think you should be seeing prices much higher than about $3000.

Are you getting the fence stained? Its about $3/LF (so $6/LF if you do both sides...which you should, don't just do one...fastest way to ruin your fence)

Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 AM

24 posts, read 18,788 times
Try to DIY it ... If possible. My wife and I built all our 6 foot fences and we saved thousands of dollars. Take some of that money saved and invest in tools for the next project. That's how I do it With all my projects. Either house jobs, electrical, plumbing or automotive work. Do it yourself learn the skill as you go than buy the tools needed. After many years of doing this I've collected enough tools, electrical supply's and skills that I'm pretty self sufficient..

Old 11-10-2017, 10:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
I just had 56' done, cor heart redwood, and a double gate...$3K in SoCal.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:27 PM

300 posts, read 329,377 times
Pricing is what the market will bear, back when I was doing it I was right around 30$/ft, 125$ for a standard gate.

But this was while back too and I was usually on the low end of what others charged, but my fences didn't warp, bow, or easily break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego