Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2017, 01:30 PM

5 posts, read 4,594 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I currently live in North Park and am considering moving to La Mesa. I work at the VA in La Jolla, but have to park offsite about 3 miles down Miramar road. I share custody of my daughter, so 2 or 3 days a week I will have to drop her off at preschool in mission valley before heading to work.

My question is, if I live in La Mesa, will I want to kill myself every morning and evening on the way to and from work? I am ok with commuting, but anything more than an hour is quite taxing.

I'm trying to find a place to settle, I have moved about 10 times in the past 7 years, and I just want to find a place I can stay a while. La Mesa is so kid friendly and has great schools, so it seems like a good choice.

Thank you for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 01:57 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times
What time do you start your shift?

Last edited by hitman619; 12-13-2017 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 4,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
What time do you start your shift?
I am the average plebe who works 9-5

Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzizzim View Post
Hi there,

I currently live in North Park and am considering moving to La Mesa. I work at the VA in La Jolla, but have to park offsite about 3 miles down Miramar road. I share custody of my daughter, so 2 or 3 days a week I will have to drop her off at preschool in mission valley before heading to work.

My question is, if I live in La Mesa, will I want to kill myself every morning and evening on the way to and from work? I am ok with commuting, but anything more than an hour is quite taxing.

I'm trying to find a place to settle, I have moved about 10 times in the past 7 years, and I just want to find a place I can stay a while. La Mesa is so kid friendly and has great schools, so it seems like a good choice.

Wish I had better news, but going there, expect 40-50 mins and coming back, expect at least an hour going home from UTC from where the VA is. There are some rare days where you might get break in traffic during the holidays.

Its not pretty and certainly wont improve.

Any other areas you are considering closer to UTC? Clairemont area? Mira Mesa?

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2017, 06:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Young? Single? African American? I would live in the city! Hillcrest, North Park, etc. You might have to up your budget a little. Mira Mesa is like living in the Inland Empire :-(

Old 12-13-2017, 09:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Any chance you can rent in Mission Valley so that you are close to your daughter's pre-school?

At least that way, your daughter won't be racking up commute time in the car.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:21 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,569,720 times
If you're in it for the long run, the new trolley extension will stop at the VA in La Jolla. Live somewhere on the trolley line.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Any chance you can rent in Mission Valley so that you are close to your daughter's pre-school?

At least that way, your daughter won't be racking up commute time in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
If you're in it for the long run, the new trolley extension will stop at the VA in La Jolla. Live somewhere on the trolley line.
Exactly. Mission Valley sounds like it might fit the bill all around and will be on the same line that goes straight to the VA when the new extension is done. Plus going up and down the 5 wont be nearly as painful as having to take a freeway going anywhere east of UTC.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:45 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,061 times
Basically you're adding another half of your existing commute when you tack on heading east into the 'burbs.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:15 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,534,907 times
Quote:
I am the average plebe who works 9-5
I have nothing really to add, great responses above
The morning commute is not that bad as, traffic on the 8 freeway starts to thin out about that time, your Problem is going to be coming home. Its going to always bumper to bumper traffic coming home, also to add you will have to get off and on the freeway to pick up you child in mission valley.
Don't get me wrong its a doable commute my question to you is Whats your Tolerance for bad traffic.
La Mesa has become the new Poway
Affordable to live
Safe
Renting a house is still somewhat affordable but that's changing.
Schools are not Poway but are still pretty good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego