Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 11:49 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,385,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricu View Post
Out of IB, Chula Vista and Otay Ranch I would choose Otay Ranch out of all those three if commuting isn't much of an issue.

As others have said, getting from Otay Ranch/Eastlake to any other part of the county can be a headache. I live in the area and work in Chula Vista and I still find the commute to be bad. I sometimes use the toll road (I-125) which is a huge time saver. Other days I take the local roads westward.

Because you asked about transit, note that currently they are building a rapid transit route through Otay Ranch/Eastlake which will connect the Otay Mesa border to downtown San Diego. Like I said, it will go through the Otay Ranch/Eastlake communities and a lot of the infrastructure is completed. I believe it will be up and running by end of 2018 or early 2019. For more details check out the SANDAG website:

South Bay Rapid Introduction
Great Info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 12:32 AM

987 posts, read 768,824 times
I think that driving on long stretches of road to get to a home located in the wildfire zones are bs

Welcome to East Chula Vista!

Old 12-18-2017, 02:22 PM

64 posts, read 79,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Here's the info on the South Bay Express way:

Welcome To SBX The 125

The 125 does not go directly to the 5 (or the 805 for that matter). You'd need to take it to either the 54 or the 94 and then take those west to the 5 or 805. (You can also take the 125 to the 52 and then over, but that truly is a commuting nightmare every morning and wouldn't be my choice).

We used to have a regular poster (Pahrumps?) who lived in Otay Ranch. Her husband commuted to work somewhere close to downtown SD, and use the 125 toll road. She seemed to think it wasn't too onerous (and this was just last year, so pretty sure things haven't changed too much since then).

And, let's face it, just about ANYWHERE you're going to live in San Diego County these days is going to have a commute that involves stop and go traffic at some point or another if you're commuting during regular commuting hours.

While I wouldn't recommend commuting daily from Otay Ranch to Carlsbad (or vice versa), I wouldn't immediately rule out anywhere just because of traffic or a longer commute.

Instead, I'd take a few days off and try out the commute to/from my place of work for a few days and decide if I could live with it in exchange for living in a more affordable area.

Sure, ideally, everyone should live just 15 minutes from work, if they can afford to do so, but that's not possible for everyone. And, some people are OK with a longer commute in exchange for a lower mortgage (or less rent).

There's a thread right now in the LA Forum about a woman who spends SIX hours a day (3 hours each way) commuting from Hemet to downtown Los Angeles. Now THAT'S a commute.
Yes, we regularly did 125->54->5 to get to the airport, Coronado, zoo areas (my husband's commute was actually south on the 125 to Otay Mesa - zero traffic haha). It would take anywhere from 20-30 minutes, depending on the time of day. I actually never found Otay Ranch / Eastlake to be out of the way at all, but we didn't have much business north of the 8.

OP, living close to the 125 and getting a FasTrak will help a lot!

Noise -- Nothing major to report on there

Shopping -- Otay Ranch town center is a very popular outdoor mall. There's also Target, Walmart, Costco, Ralph's, Von's, etc.

Proximity to i5 -- See above

Safety compared to IB -- Much nicer than IB and West Chula Vista

Is this the upscale part of South Bay ? -- Yes

Just curious to know what $2,200/2,500 per month would get me in the form of a house rental -- Townhouse or maybe smaller home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego