Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post

I do blame San Diego for becoming unaffordable for over half of the population. It was never like this growing up. I know things change, but how can you blame the people that have been here their whole lives, have better themselves, possibly gone onto college or private university, and still cannot afford to stay even with the nice job they might have?

The blame is all the damn transplants moving here driving up housing prices, making everything more expensive. Greedy landlords raising rents not just on apartments and houses, but even leases for commercial properties where the only types of businesses that can afford to set up shop are corporate ones. Well you can count numerous people like myself, a native San Diegan soon to leave for better pastures.
I hear ya, but think of it this way, I grew up next to NYC which was unaffordable to pretty much everyone before I was even born. A lot of people move away, they go to FL or NC or wherever. It's just kind of a built-in life phase, eventually you either get rich enough to stay or you go. We always said college is a one-way ticket. They don't feel the same entitlement to live there because they're raised to understand it's a place you have to compete for and spend the big bucks to live there. A lot of people, especially natives, simply don't want to pay for it and move away. Most people are not going to compete for high end jobs at the UN or Goldman Sachs because they aren't qualified. 'Nativism' is really mostly an inner-city thing, most of those people have their whole identity tied up in being from NY and even if they have to move, they still act like they're in the old neighborhood. As a result you will find that NYC culture is prevalent all over the east coast, especially the southeast.

I think the arguments of 'value' is misguided, i.e. in this day and age most jobs are in cities, most people live in cities, and cities are becoming much less unique and more homogenous, i.e same demographic (usually millennial professional / hipster type) is moving around and populating these second-tier cities. Glass lux towers and high-end craft breweries follow them. That's just the culture right now. They have money and want to spend it on their version of a luxury lifestyle, which is what SD is to the rest of the country. It's FL for rich people. At the same time the demographic already here (working class / military) are moving out. Finally, be careful what you wish for regarding LA, the grass is not greener, Vegas in my opinion is LA 2.0, the same thing basically, just no beach and a helluva lot cheaper.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 02-01-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 12:01 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I hear ya, but think of it this way, I grew up next to NYC which was unaffordable to pretty much everyone before I was even born. A lot of people move away, they go to FL or NC or wherever. It's just kind of a built-in life phase, eventually you either get rich enough to stay or you go. We always said college is a one-way ticket. They don't feel the same entitlement to live there because they're raised to understand it's a place you have to compete for and spend the big bucks to live there. A lot of people, especially natives, simply don't want to pay for it and move away. Most people are not going to compete for high end jobs at the UN or Goldman Sachs because they aren't qualified. 'Nativism' is really mostly an inner-city thing, most of those people have their whole identity tied up in being from NY and even if they have to move, they still act like they're in the old neighborhood. As a result you will find that NYC culture is prevalent all over the east coast, especially the southeast.

I think the arguments of 'value' is misguided, i.e. in this day and age most jobs are in cities, most people live in cities, and cities are becoming much less unique and more homogenous, i.e same demographic (usually millennial professional / hipster type) is moving around and populating these second-tier cities. Glass lux towers and high-end craft breweries follow them. That's just the culture right now. They have money and want to spend it on their version of a luxury lifestyle, which is what SD is to the rest of the country. It's FL for rich people. At the same time the demographic already here (working class / military) are moving out. Finally, be careful what you wish for regarding LA, the grass is not greener, Vegas in my opinion is LA 2.0, the same thing basically, just no beach and a helluva lot cheaper.

Thanks for that response Sass. you’re right, it’s what is “in” right now. Just like anything, fades and trends usually don’t last forever.

Maybe when all the young yuppies grow tired of the city, the hustle n bustle, all the problems associated living in a very dense community, want to settle down and have kids or simply want more space, the shifts will be back to the burbs and the urban centers with all the new glass towers with zero character, will eventually become ghostly vacant, and the demise of the urban landscape will crumble like it did in the 50’s.

It might not happen in 10 years, but possibly 20. And as CA minimum wage keeps rising every year, it’s going to become very tough for any restaurant or bar to continue to keep their doors open when the cost of employees become unprofitable.

Yes, CA like NYC is losing a lot of their Working class-Middle class residents at an alarming rate. If you’re not a homeowner in SD, it’s really tough to stay. To the people here that do own their homes outright, you are truly truly lucky! You could easily cash out now in this housing market, and could retire with the sale of your home with how much most of them are going for, move to a lower cost state and live off the money. Go travel, buy a new car, or invest it to make yourself even more money. So much opportunity if you’ve been a longtime homeowner as you have options many of us don’t have.

Vegas is no L.A. at least not yet lol.

Traffic there is super tame compared to SD, there’s no comparison, it’s a breeze to get around Vegas and their infrastructure is very good for its size. Nice glass smooth asphalt, flat even roads, and best of all the city/state government does a great job at making sure their pavement is well taken care of. You can also take many streets across town and never have to get on the freeway like you do here.

I won’t miss the beach to be honest. The weather YES, but that’s really it.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
LA has a lot of things that are better. Way better sports (pro and college), better airport (non stops EVERYWHERE), more cosmopolitan, more of everything. Better looking women and better ratio up there for guys (San Diego is called "Man" Diego for good reason).

Problem it is hard to do the things that make SoCal so great in LA. Why? TRAFFIC! If you live a bit inland LA, you can't just decide on a whim to go to the beach, it may take you HOURS and tons of frustration getting there! If live near beach, may take you HOURS to get to the mountains for a hike. Same thing with getting to ANYTHING...sports, entertainment...etc...getting there could be BRUTAL.

What good is living there if you can't be free to get around and enjoy all the great things without getting stuck in GRIDLOCK?

SD is much more chill laid back place. Easier to get to hiking, beaches, events. Not as sprawled out or concrete jungle. Probably less crime overall in SD...but haven't verified that.

LA I think probably more fake and superficial, people heavily judging you on how rich you are, car you drive...all the BS.

If I was say under 40 and single, I might choose LA. Over 40 I would choose SD.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:31 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,408,585 times
Quote:
L.A. is very international feeling as well, while San Diego feels extremely American and White which is really surprising being next to the border and so close to the L.A. The massive military presence has a lot to do with it.
Why shouldn't San Diego feel "extremely American", it is in America after all right?

Also, on San Diego feeling "extremely white". The statistics don't back that statement up. Here is the population break-down of SD County as of 2017:

-non-hispanic white: 46%
-Hispanic: 33.5%
-Asian: 12.2%
-Black: 5.5%

54% of the population of SD County is something "other" then "non-hispanic white". And like everywhere in the state of CA and the USA, the non-hispanic white population is falling fast as a % of the overall population. So 20 yrs from now SD County will be likely well below <40% non-hispanic white.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Why shouldn't San Diego feel "extremely American", it is in America after all right?

Also, on San Diego feeling "extremely white". The statistics don't back that statement up. Here is the population break-down of SD County as of 2017:

-non-hispanic white: 46%
-Hispanic: 33.5%
-Asian: 12.2%
-Black: 5.5%

54% of the population of SD County is something "other" then "non-hispanic white". And like everywhere in the state of CA and the USA, the non-hispanic white population is falling fast as a % of the overall population. So 20 yrs from now SD County will be likely well below <40% non-hispanic white.
Other posters have posted the census argument and I don’t believe most of it.

Seen through the lens of my own 2 eyes, there’s way more White people in SD than Hispanics. San Diego doesn’t have any sort of Mexican influence like many people would assume. It feels like SD and the County is more like 70% White than anything.

The only areas where Hispanics mostly dominate is in City Heights ( gentrification is going to change that soon) SouthEast SD, National City, and Chula Vista. They’re sprinkled in Escondido, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley and El Cajon. Pretty much that’s it. White folks still dominate in every community in SD County and Hispanics don’t.

The entire Beaches, all of North County, most of East County and now Downtown, all are mainly filled with White peeps. Say what you want about the census, but it’s not always accurate and anybody can put down what they want as far as what kind of racial makeup they are.

Best bet is to use your eyes for proof.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:03 AM

381 posts, read 344,600 times
Quote:
other posters have posted the census argument and i don’t believe most of it.
lol.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:04 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Other posters have posted the census argument and I don’t believe most of it.

Seen through the lens of my own 2 eyes, there’s way more White people in SD than Hispanics. San Diego doesn’t have any sort of Mexican influence like many people would assume. It feels like SD and the County is more like 70% White than anything.

The only areas where Hispanics mostly dominate is in City Heights ( gentrification is going to change that soon) SouthEast SD, National City, and Chula Vista. They’re sprinkled in Escondido, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley and El Cajon. Pretty much that’s it. White folks still dominate in every community in SD County and Hispanics don’t.

The entire Beaches, all of North County, most of East County and now Downtown, all are mainly filled with White peeps. Say what you want about the census, but it’s not always accurate and anybody can put down what they want as far as what kind of racial makeup they are.

Best bet is to use your eyes for proof.
So, ignore objective facts and use your eyes to confirm your subjective bias? No, thanks.

Last edited by oddstray; 02-07-2018 at 09:18 AM..

Old 02-07-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
So, ignore objective facts and use your eyes to confirm your subjective bias? No, thanks.
Yup, you can tell how a city feels, looks and acts just by living in it. We don’t need stat sheets to us otherwise.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
https://demographics.virginia.edu/DotMap/

Old 02-07-2018, 08:12 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
I get what you’re saying, SD isn’t boring compared to some cities, but compared to bigger more important cities around the country, it can get boring fast after you seen it all.

You can see and do everything San Diego has to offer in only a few days, vs probably weeks or months in L.A.

Plus not everyone is a beach person or into hiking, biking, jogging or whatever it may be, so depending on your interest, you can easily run out of things to do fairly quick here.

The food options suck as well, not enough places to eat past 10pm here besides for taco shops or jack n box.

In L.A. there’s endless amounts of variety of different foods that doesn’t consist of just tacos and burritos late night.

Plus all the different cities in L.A. offer more to do and see culturally. So many options when it comes to shopping, dining, attractions,sites, you have the mountains to the East and beaches to the West, just like SD.
personally I never found sd boring. I left because job market sucked and cost of living too high comparatively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego