Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 01:16 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,419,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
Because it's the only way others can own a home of their own. You can thank Prop 13 for rewarding homeowners for never selling their house, so housing crashes are the only hope for prospective homeowners.
Houses are bought and sold everyday. That’s a horrible thing to want, thousands of people out of work so you can afford to buy one. Everyone has the right to try and buy a home, but not everyone deserves to own one, that’s what got us in the prior mess. I wouldn’t hold your breath about another crash, they stopped giving out mortgages to everyone years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 03:42 PM

8,366 posts, read 7,565,430 times
Quote:
Because it's the only way others can own a home of their own.
I know plenty of couples in their mid to late 20s - including some who work in blue collar jobs by the way - who have managed to buy homes of their own in the last 5 years.

In fact, my daughter and her husband just bought their first home. Was it easy? No. But like most first time home buyers, they were OK with making some compromises on their first home in order to get out of the renting lifestyle.

Prop 13 had nothing to do with their decision or ability to buy, or with the seller's decision to sell.

Last edited by RosieSD; 02-10-2018 at 03:53 PM..

Old 02-10-2018, 08:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,263,373 times
Quote:
Because it's the only way others can own a home of their own. You can thank Prop 13 for rewarding homeowners for never selling their house, so housing crashes are the only hope for prospective homeowners.

Why would you think it's fair for existing homeowners to pay way less taxes and enjoy never-ending capital gains, and never let others have a shot at owning their home?
Prop 13 has nothing to do with people staying or selling. I have done so several times and Prop 13 was not an issue and I know no one who thought it was. People move or not for too many other reasons. If you buy a house you will Not want taxes going up and up like they did prior to Prop 13, as you would likely lose your home.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:46 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,427,107 times
Quote:

Why would you think it's fair for existing homeowners to pay way less taxes and enjoy never-ending capital gains, and never let others have a shot at owning their home?
It is not a zero sum game... new homes are built and buyers buy.

What is wrong with someone having the desire to live their life in their home?

But if it is crashes you want... only go back 6 to 9 years...

Thing is many couldn't wait to bail out... many told me they never wanted to own again and renting was the smart thing to do

The Safeway Cashier had bought 3 homes between 2006-07... eighteen months.

He lost all of them... now is married and his greatest desire would be to own just one of them 10 years later.

He did buy a double wide in a park and that will have to do for now for him, his wife and daughter.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:46 AM

1,600 posts, read 932,928 times
Someone asked, "Why on earth would any decent person want others hurt and lose their home, so they could buy it at a cheap price??????????????????????"

I told you all why. It's like buying stocks or anything else...you're stupid to not want to buy at a low price. But, that means someone may be losing on the other end of the transaction. That's the reality of the market.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Houses are bought and sold everyday. That’s a horrible thing to want, thousands of people out of work so you can afford to buy one. Everyone has the right to try and buy a home, but not everyone deserves to own one, that’s what got us in the prior mess. I wouldn’t hold your breath about another crash, they stopped giving out mortgages to everyone years ago.
If homeowners stay within their means and have solid, stable jobs, they shouldn't worry too much. However, there are a lot of homeowners stretched thin and/or have jobs that only do well in times of prosperity (e.g., sales, realtors)...they'll be the ones losing their homes, and I'll be there to snatch them up at a discount. I win.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If you buy a house you will Not want taxes going up and up like they did prior to Prop 13, as you would likely lose your home.
Then they don't deserve to live there and should go rent or move away. Only someone who can pay their taxes (real taxes, not this Prop 13 BS) should own that home. Just because someone is already living in a home, doesn't mean they have some god-given right to stay there.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why would anyone sell their house if they don't have to? Running lil old ladies out of their paid off house is rather harsh in my book.
Then don't sell it lol. If an old lady can't keep up with her property taxes, she has to move...that's life. Artificially lowering her property taxes, which are then subsidized by someone else, is wildly unfair. I love the "granny" argument as if it's so cruel, but that means someone else has to pick up the slack, but that's not something you all like to bring up.

People should pay the same taxes and not discriminate.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
If homeowners stay within their means and have solid, stable jobs, they shouldn't worry too much. However, there are a lot of homeowners stretched thin and/or have jobs that only do well in times of prosperity (e.g., sales, realtors)...they'll be the ones losing their homes, and I'll be there to snatch them up at a discount. I win.
Realtors I know are career and do well... the foreclosure crisis was a boon for them.

Like most things... if you are in the top of your field you tend to do well.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Then they don't deserve to live there and should go rent or move away. Only someone who can pay their taxes (real taxes, not this Prop 13 BS) should own that home. Just because someone is already living in a home, doesn't mean they have some god-given right to stay there.
I don't think you can be any clearer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego