U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 PM

22,165 posts, read 25,392,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
It's not about whether CA has enough revenue from it, it's how it's collected and in what quantities from who.

You have no problem paying higher taxes while others pay a fraction? Wow. You should open a charity.
You should understand how P13 actually works. It protects EVERY property owner from obscene taxes. Do you even own a house?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 05:45 PM

1,598 posts, read 721,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Maybe get rid of Value Taxes across the board?

The utility taxes here are based on charges... would be more equitable to pay a flat fee... gas tax is a hybrid... flat fee and sales.

A $90,000 Range Rover doesn't use more highway, parking, etc than a $30,000 vehicle.
I'm just referring to property taxes where it makes no sense to tax. Utilities are different because there's a flat fee plus usage, which doesn't really have much to do with valuations. Regarding the Range Rover, now your getting into sales and luxury taxes, which work as a % of the value by nature, but that's a separate discussion. We're all far too taxed as it is, but the method of taxation needs to be equitable.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You should understand how P13 actually works. It protects EVERY property owner from obscene taxes. Do you even own a house?
Yep, I own in WA state but rent in SD. The way property taxes are collected aren't commensurate at all with the services they support. It's completely bastardized and Prop 13 doesn't solve the problem, but just shifts the burden to new home buyers.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'd be interested to see what each actual parcel has paid in taxes over the years since it was first bought. Then I'd like to see how it was spent. I know that isn't possible but watching a Charger game isn't a "service".
Agreed. We shouldn't be paying for the Chargers with property taxes. This is all a broader issue.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 PM

27,487 posts, read 56,532,508 times
Quote:
Yep, I own in WA state but rent in SD. The way property taxes are collected aren't commensurate at all with the services they support. It's completely bastardized and Prop 13 doesn't solve the problem, but just shifts the burden to new home buyers.
The only way anyone could say it shifts the burden to new home buyers would be if you can make the case that homes always cost more...

We know this is absolutely false... in my short time I have seen three market reversals with the Grand Daddy of them all 2009-2012.

As mentioned I bought before then and my neighbor bought a foreclosure in 2012 and they as new home buyers got one heck of a deal and pay lower taxes than I do...

Thurston County Washington State is exactly why I am so passionate about Prop 13.

I suppose anyone experiencing a 80% year over year property tax increase would see the wisdom of Prop13.

My property tax based on the value I paid for my Washington Home went from 6,800 to $12,000... that is right, $1,000 a month!

I had work in California so I rented my home with a property management company... it rented for $1600 a month and out of the $1600 and $1000 of that went to Thurston County.

I will walk precincts and go to Sacramento to protect Prop 13... I have seen the alternative and it is not pretty...

Old 02-12-2018, 07:05 AM

40,469 posts, read 36,276,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The only way anyone could say it shifts the burden to new home buyers would be if you can make the case that homes always cost more...

We know this is absolutely false... in my short time I have seen three market reversals with the Grand Daddy of them all 2009-2012.

As mentioned I bought before then and my neighbor bought a foreclosure in 2012 and they as new home buyers got one heck of a deal and pay lower taxes than I do...

Thurston County Washington State is exactly why I am so passionate about Prop 13.

I suppose anyone experiencing a 80% year over year property tax increase would see the wisdom of Prop13.

My property tax based on the value I paid for my Washington Home went from 6,800 to $12,000... that is right, $1,000 a month!

I had work in California so I rented my home with a property management company... it rented for $1600 a month and out of the $1600 and $1000 of that went to Thurston County.

I will walk precincts and go to Sacramento to protect Prop 13... I have seen the alternative and it is not pretty...
Holy cow, that is almost like the govt owning your property and you rent it from them.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM

18,173 posts, read 12,533,266 times
Quote:
Nope as the older homeowners paid for many of the services, streets, schools the new people don't have to pay for being built, they just move in and make use of them. Raise the new homeowners taxes to pay back to the older home owners what they paid for and the new ones now get for ''free".

Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Holy cow, that is almost like the govt owning your property and you rent it from them.
That is really the case everywhere now. You just think you own it.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:54 AM

40,469 posts, read 36,276,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
That is really the case everywhere now. You just think you own it.
Well, more like bank owned and I get your point but 60% or more shouldn't be going straight to the City, State or Feds. Think about the fact that your money is already taxed at the Federal and State level before you even purchase something.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Well, more like bank owned and I get your point but 60% or more shouldn't be going straight to the City, State or Feds. Think about the fact that your money is already taxed at the Federal and State level before you even purchase something.
Unfortunately it will only get worse.

The claim is it is for the "people", but it really isn't. You situation is flat out bad, but you can always sell and use the profit to buy and rent it out in a better State tax wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego